2016 IMPBA Gas Nats

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the IMPBA Nats. Anybody that wants to enter should be allowed to enter. If you want to limit the amount of boats maybe you could have a must pay by date and a must enter by date. When those dates expire you could trim the field by eliminating some of the multiple entries. Give the person a choice of which boats he wants to eliminate. Their has to be some way to accommodate everyone who wants to enter.

Bill Wachtler
well said

As previously posted you can't please everyone, however in my opinion I do think things could and should have been done a little differently.

First- opening registration on a major holiday weekend was unfair to boaters who may have been traveling, entertaining, with family or whatever. Many folks don't have the luxury of being able to sit in front of a computer whenever it suits them let alone on a holiday weekend.

Second- I have never agreed with opening registration for a big race so far in advance and as a few have already mentioned there will be many cancellations since up front payment was not required. And the answer of get on the waiting list and see what happens is not much of a help honestly. How long are these people supposed to wait for an answer if they can get in? There are lots of boaters who just can't up and take off whenever they please.

Third- I've always felt that races of this magnitude should have a max entry per per person (4 would have been my recommendation), by allowing people to enter 8 or 9 boats smart money says some (or many) of those will be ones you'll be holding up the event waiting on them because they are back to back repeatedly, seen that more times than I care to thing about and it is always a momentum killer as far as running a race efficiently.

I truly hope this event is a huge success for the host club but I see a few potential headaches between now and then especially with cancellations and chasing down payment for entry fees.
Don,Who cares what weekend you open entries. In today's world anyone can jump on the internet in a instance. I registered from my phone while I was not even home. The entry date was set way back, put a reminder in your cell phone if you worried you going to miss it. Last year I had someone complain to me about they were out snowmobiling and they missed the registration and it was not right of me to not let them enter. GIVE ME A BREAK

6 months in advance to a race is not that far in advance. Its nice to know for the host club what they have to plan for. You still had to be paid by March 31st before the club re opened registration. This way the people on the waiting list still would have had ample time to take time off and book hotels.

Maybe the host club needed some of the funds to make site improvements to the site. You can plan on t shirts and trophies in advance and not be a last minute thing. Having people enter this far in advance is a great way to get a head start on planning a big event like this. Griping about what the host club does is a joke. They are the ones hosting it. If certain people dont like the way things were done then host it your self next year and do what you seem fit. You will still get the same complaints or they will find something else to ***** about. People need to get over it and move on. This is the second year in a row where this event has sold out in 2 hours. Maybe next year people will finally catch on. END RANT

=
not everybody is glued to there phone or device. especially during the holidays. when ,imo, people should be with family. lord knows they aren't around long enough. so no, people can't just hope online whenever.

First and foremost I am the CD it was my decision when to open it and how to run registration if you don't like it don't come.

I agree about limiting entries but didn't think it would be fair to do it after registration had started and didn't think of it before and no one mentioned it to me.

Most people have the internet in their pocket now days, if you don't, not my fault, date and time was know for a long time.

The reason for the early opening is that its nice to know a rough budget. I don't have to worry about breaking the club treasury .

We had it set to shut down at 225 boats but like many of you since this is a national event I felt that everyone should have the opportunity to enter so we opened it up again and allowed people to enter. We ended up with 309 boats and 93 racers I think.

I opened registration 15 minutes early so that I could leave and have lunch with my brother who was in town for the holidays at 12:30 but things went so crazy I cancelled my lunch and came back and started adjusting heats and such.

Myself and several others started this club and its a great club with great members. I found this lake and we have hosted several district races over the years since this club became active. I travel to lots of races where I am in a hotel for several nights. I love this hobby and most of its people and try and support it as much as I can. That is one reason we decided to host this event. Its the people who sit and criticize people who take a chance and do things that need to step up instead of whining about it, jump in and do something that will help the hobby.

I learned a lot and a big thanks to all those who stayed calm while I worked through it. I was on the computer into the night and the next day working on this event and I still have a lot of work in front of me and the club. It will be worth it the day we start when I am on the judges stand and see all those smiling faces looking forward to some great racing and even better friendships that is what this hobby is about.

Thanks to all those who make this a great hobby.

Ok enough, you guys better be getting ready to race District 14 is coming to win!!

BUT REMEMBER THIS IS JUST A HOBBY!!!!

Rocky. No need to explain yourself. It's YOUR club and the way you do things is up to you. I thank you and your club for hosting this event.

For those complaining, I'm looking forward to attending the 2017 Gas Nats at your pond where everything will be done right. (Insert sarcasm).

Couple years into Gas boat racing now. Glad to be part of the "looks to be coming the most popular form of model boat racing". Really glad a Midwest club has taken on this large task of hosting a Nationals so it is within a days drive for us newcomers.

Down the road and another time it may be unfortunate but indeed necessary to limit entries. Collateral damage from successful participation. One of the stronger reasons some of us left electric - those of us running 3-4 classes spending the week watching a handful of guy's running 20 something classes.

If the Quad Counties Club wanted us to cut some classes back I am willing. Although I am only at three.
default_smile.png

Doug

Couple years into Gas boat racing now. Glad to be part of the "looks to be coming the most popular form of model boat racing". Really glad a Midwest club has taken on this large task of hosting a Nationals so it is within a days drive for us newcomers.

Down the road and another time it may be unfortunate but indeed necessary to limit entries. Collateral damage from successful participation. One of the stronger reasons some of us left electric - those of us running 3-4 classes spending the week watching a handful of guy's running 20 something classes.

If the Quad Counties Club wanted us to cut some classes back I am willing. Although I am only at three.
default_smile.png

Doug
Great to see the popularity of this race! Back in the days when we had nitro boats only, the Internats had large attendance and racers were limited to only TWO boats. Entry limits is something to think about for the future! It's people that make the race fun, not so much the number of boats!

Thanks to Rocky and the Quad Counties club for hosting this event. The response to this race the last few years has just been spectacular. The last 3 years it has sold out and the last 2 years in just hours. It was reopened because so many guys didn't get in. I think limiting the number of classes guys can enter in the future is something to look at. Now let's hope for good weather and no equipment malfunctions so we can get the race completed in the time allotted. See you all in June.

Last edited by a moderator:
nothing solid yet. If you want to run 1/6 gas scale post here so I can con firm how many we have.

Thats 5 at least one boat more, would prefer another heat but will do one heat.

I agree with Bruce. Come on Phil. You will have a 1 in 6 chance of being the National Champion and we sure don't want Wes to win it. If he dose we will never hear the end of it.

This race is bulging with too many heats and you want to add more? How bout Sunday?

Back