ZENOAH QUEERY

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAMTIN

I HAVE A G230RC AIR COOLED ZENOAH,DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT DIFFERRENCES THERE ARE BETWEEN THIS MOTOR AND A G231PUM.(BESIDES THE CRANK CASE AND AIR COOLING)?

DO THEY REV THE SAME AND IS THE POWER SIMILAR?

THE ENGINE IS A 2004 4 PORT .

Last edited by a moderator:
JAMTIN said:
I HAVE A G230RC AIR COOLED ZENOAH,DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT DIFFERRENCES THERE ARE  BETWEEN THIS MOTOR AND A G231PUM.(BESIDES THE CRANK CASE AND AIR COOLING)?  DO THEY REV THE SAME AND IS THE POWER SIMILAR?

ALSO ON THE FIRST RUN OUT USING THE G230RC IT KEPT MELTING THE SPARK PLUG ELECTRODE.THE ENGINE DOES NOT SEEM TO BE RUNNING LEAN BUT I CAN'T THINK WHAT ELSE WOULD CAUSE IT.

89930[/snapback]

There are some minor differences. Firstly it is only a two bolt cylinder. (as opposed to 4 for the g260) The crank is different as well. It has larger counter weights, nearly full circle. It is shorter as well.

The ramp inside the cases that make the bottom of the transfer ports are a slightly different shape.

Stock they don't make quite as much power as the g260. I think mostly due to the bigger air cooled flywheel. But if you mod them you can get pretty decent power from them, and there are more high performance parts available for them.

I built a top end cylinder block for one similar to the j&g. I lightend the flywheel on a lathe. Since it was going to be water cooled i was able to take off all of the fins.

The flywheel is now actually lighter than the g260 flywheel. Although it is a slightly bigger dia.

As for the melted plugs thats a mystery, These engines like to run really rich. The richer the better(to a point). I've heard that they can be run at as much as 16:1.

when you say it's not lean...well that pretty much eliminates an over heating situation. Have you tried different brands of plugs??

The 231 is a 4 port motor, the 23pum, 230 are 2 port motors. The 260 and 231s are the "newest" Of the 4 port motors in the marine motors.

THey both perform well, stock or moded.

The 231 revs higher than the 23s stock or moded.

231 verses the 260 STOCK, run both the 231 will out rev the 260. thats the stock engines. Mod the 260 and LOOK OUT.

I Still run a Mod 23 motor, They can put out some power, but moded 23 cylinders cant take hydro locks to much, weak cylinders when moded.

Check the carb insulator block, make sure gaskets are good, and that the block is not warped. Sand it lightly on flat surface to be sure its not warped.

I would check the carb screen inside, make sure there is no dirt in it.

You should take apart and replace gaskets, and ring as when they are run lean and over heated the rings get weak.

I would watercool it for sure for boat use, as they will get hot.

You probably got the 167 carb on there, So I run about 2 on the low side and 1

1 1/4 on the high needle. Also I run 8oz of oil to gal of gas.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT USE CHAMPION PLUGS. NGK ONLY. Champs will break on you and damage motor.

both plugs were champs,i'll try a ngk

the motor is a 2004 4 port g230rc

Tom there is a 4 port 230, but it is no 230 PUM, it is a G230RC, th elatter is the engine Jamin has, as I understand it.

Julius

I have full mod water cooled with coil mount ,piston modified ,ring and wrist pin and bearings for the r/c 230 75.00 shipped to your door in the states.

What kind of boat is it in?

I run 3 RC, nothing wrong with them at all.

A little less power than a 231 but it will turn more RPM if you prop it properly so the same top speed is acheivable.

If you want to mod it, Matt Russel in Sydney is an expert on RC's.

IS YOURS AIR COOLED OR WATER COOLED.

MINE IS AIR COOLED IN A 52 INCH PICKLE FORK HYDRO,I THOUGHT THE LARGE OPENING IN THE FRONT OF THE COWLNG WOULD FORCE PLENTY OF AIR PAST THE MOTOR BUT NOW I'M NOT SO SURE. THE MOTOR STILL HAS THE ORIGINAL SHROUD TO DIRECT AIR FROM THE FLYWHEEL.CONSIDERING THAT THE MOTOR WAS INTENDED FOR CAR USE YOU WOULD THINK THAT IT WOULD RUN COOLER IN A BOAT.THE ENGINE SHOWS NO SIGNS OF HAVING OVER HEATED,BUT I'M NOT SURE IF I SHOULD PERSEVERE OR SWITCH TO A WATER COOLED MOTOR BEFORE I DO HURT IT. :unsure:

Back