Working on a sport 21 fiberglass boat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony_marquart

I've been talking with Mike L about boats and I'm building one of his 310's.. I've designed and built many .21 riggers.. Mike and I designed a new cowl for his sport 20 and it got me thinking.,. Here is an image of a FG design I modeled up.. Looks like about $600 to get molds cnc'd for it.. may never happen... I don't know how to seam the top and bottom.. I split it right down the middle and thought maybe a ship-lap type of seam.. I don't know.. what do you guys think? any suggestions?/

Last edited by a moderator:
Anthony I would like to know where you got the prices on the molds and details about how they are made.

Anthony, build a wood version first to make your trial and error model from. Then once you get something, have the molds made, or make them your self from the wood model.

The prices were estimates based on some other parts being made.. Not firm quotes.. Most of the geometry is already proven in other boats..

the software is called ProEngineer.. If anyone wants any surfacing done for cowls or fiberglass work,.. contact me..

The way I understand it, Solidworks was a spin0off of ProE,.. Some of the programers from PTC left and started Solidworks,.. they are similar,. Solidworks is much more affordable, that is for sure..

Yes I would make a wood version and you can always pull a mold from that hull as a plug if you would like to. I know that is what Hydro Sport Marine Products would do back in the day to prove out the design then pull the mold using the test hull as a plug.

I have used Pro/E and Solid Works and yes solidworks is cheaper and a little bit easier to use.

Back