Wood Prop Gauge

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty Davis

I just got my new Steve Wood Prop Gauge today and I made up a spreadsheet that I can use with that gauge.

I had this type sheet for the Hughey Gauge and it is awesome to keep records. The link to download this spreadsheet is:

https://rcboat.com/PROPDOC4W.xls

To use it, the yellow columns are for setting the 70% factor automatically.

You can use either the inside or outside measurements (I have not decided which I will prefer). The measurement is from the inside or outside of the Dubro Collar to the inside or outside of the Sharp Pointer Stem. Use a set of calipers and set this dimension from the yellow column of the spreadsheet.

I put a sample entry on each of the engine sizes, but don't take these as actual props. They are only for display purposes.

If you have questons about how to use this spreadsheet, write on this thread and I will try to explain more.

I run two different pitches on most of my good props, the reason for having a blade A and a blade B.

If you don't own one of these prop gauges, it is an awesome piece of equipment.

Comments on the spreadsheet welcome.....

Nothing opens on this link..................... :( :( My bad. The security block would not let me open it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Marty,

I have been using an Excel Spreadsheet that a friend of mine, Mike Rappold, developed. His too was for a Hughey type gauge. It too will calculate the 70% dimensions giving the face of post to tip of pointer. Even has an integrated graph that shows the pitch. It is very similar to the one that you have posted. I will try to get Mike's permission to post.

I too love my woods gauge.

Thank you for sharing!

Buck

Hi Marty,

I have been using an Excel Spreadsheet that a friend of mine, Mike Rappold, developed. His too was for a Hughey type gauge. It too will calculate the 70% dimensions giving the face of post to tip of pointer. Even has an integrated graph that shows the pitch. It is very similar to the one that you have posted. I will try to get Mike's permission to post.

I too love my woods gauge.

Thank you for sharing!

Buck
The file Buck is referring to is one I created in Excel to record the blade pitch information similar to Marty's but a little different format. It is based upon a modified Huey type of prop guage. The file is setup so that the prop's diameter is entered in and the 70% radius is calculated. Since it is spreadsheet it is very easy to edit to whatever % value also. The dimensions for the prop support post and pointer are specific to my guage but they are easy to change if you are familar with Excel. The idea was that once the radius is given, the guage is set to that specific dimension using a caliper measuring to the inside(minimum) distance between the support post and the pointer.

Once the guage is set, start taking pitch measurements. I have the file setup to average two measurements on each blade. This was done for improved results. My guage has a 6" long degree arm so it is easy to see down to 1/4 degree increments. Anyway, once the measurements are input, the file will graph the pitch as well. I find this helpful to "visualize" each blade.

Attached is a zip file that has a two blade and three blade version of the files. Hope this is useful. Feed back is welcome.Propeller Pitch Data Forms.zip

Mike

Attachments

• Propeller Pitch Data Forms.zip
    10.9 KB · Views: 49
Marty,

Do you think there is an advantage to run two different blade pitches/cups?

I am interested in the theory behind this idea. I can tell you of a better way to

run better with the same propeller with a little different modification. Is this the one

that you set the tdc of the piston and index the driveline? Call me if you want to try a

better way. :)

I have three of Steve Wood's pitch gauges and they are AWESOME. :D

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Marty,

Do you think there is an advantage to run two different blade pitches/cups?

I am interested in the theory behind this idea. I can tell you of a better way to

run better with the same propeller with a little different modification. Is this the one

that you set the tdc of the piston and index the driveline? Call me if you want to try a

better way. :)

I have three of Steve Wood's pitch gauges and they are AWESOME. :D

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Mark:

Yes I use different pitches on the two blades on most of my best props. Have for many years. I built that into the spreadsheet for ME. Others who don't do that can disregard that aspect.

This should be helpful to you for documentation. I left all the formulas exposed, so anyone can modify to their preference.

As for the other way, why not post it on this or the Technical Forum for discussion unless it is proprietary. <_<

I am ALWAYS interested in opinions of others for things that they have learned by testing. I would always be interested in new prop ideas and theories.

Marty,

I just don't have the time to type it all out on here.

We have been testing on the water a lot of new

configurations and we are making progress with

quite a few new ideas.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Marty,

I just don't have the time to type it all out on here.

We have been testing on the water a lot of new

configurations and we are making progress with

quite a few new ideas.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund
Mark,

Just post a few pics. Shouldn't take any longer than the two posts you typed in this thread. Or, send me a couple .21 props and I'll test them myself. B)

Later, Ron

Steve,

I don't mind the phone, but I don't type that fast. :)

Ron,

Do you have open water yet? I haven't learned

photos on the net yet.

Others,

I am pretty busy using my Wood Pitch gauges and it is

hard to type and use the pitch gauge at the same time. :D

Thanks For The Replies Fellas,

Mark Sholund

Steve,

I don't mind the phone, but I don't type that fast.
smile.gif

Ron,

Do you have open water yet? I haven't learned

photos on the net yet.

Others,

I am pretty busy using my Wood Pitch gauges and it is

hard to type and use the pitch gauge at the same time.
biggrin.gif

Thanks For The Replies Fellas,

Mark Sholund

Blowing Smoke.
rolleyes.gif

I'll stick up for Mark, between his regular job and doing props.

If he has to learn how to type....faster, the props might take time.

When I order a prop from him it is always super fast delivery.

Not to mention fast on the water.

I have the same prop guage(Woods) I can use it to get close to what I think I need, but then it is easier for me to type or call Mark and get just what works.

Keep up the GREAT WORK Mark and don't worry about typing

Jerry

Ray,

What have you done lately for model boating? Sponsor a class at the

Winternationals?

I don't think I am blowing any smoke at all.

Just ask any of my customers about how much time I spend

on the phone answering questions about: boat set up, engines, pipes,

and propellers. I work 70+ hours a week and you think I should just sit

here and type out 22 years of model boating information for you to read. :unsure:

I guess I should just write a book and sell it, or a video on propeller basics. :D

I am pretty devoted to model boating, but I do need some time for my family

and wife.This is a hobby, and hobbies should be fun.

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

I Have talked to Mark a few times one the phone and he hase always gone out of his way to help. Never once has he try to play the just buy my prop and don't ask what I have done game. Heck Dont think I have even bought a prop from him to think about it. Not that I would not, just like messing around with it my self. But when I get to the point that I can give him good feed back. He will be the person that will make my prop.

David

Steve,

I was just asking Marty a question on his two blade pitches.

I am not trying to sell anything at all. I just made a simple

statement that we are testing some new blade profiles,

and that they are working well for us. If you want to know

more about propellers call me, and I will be happy to share

some information on propellers. I just stated that I was not

going to type it all out when I can talk on the phone. The

purpose of this post was the Wood pitch gauge. I have

helped out quite a few people who have them, and I was

just asking a question. Some of the members on here want

all of the information handed to them, and when they go out to

test, it does not work for them. Nothing beats testing on the water,

and I just happen to have some great friends around the world

that do a lot of testing and give me feedback. I will share a little

information on the areas that we are working on currently.

Blade rake angles,blade ratio areas,blade face surface preparation,

leading edge shape, and trailing edge profiles. And you can measure

them all with a Wood pitch gauge. :D

I talk model boats with my customers over a hour a day every day.

so call me if you want?

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

Back