Winter Project S1

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom,

My SAW boat is 4.54 lbs RTR without fuel and my and my Course boat is 4.97lbs RTR without fuel. Both boats have 3rd channels and tuned pipes. Also, these weights include the Aluminum Sponson adjusting rails (adjustable/removable sponsons). I applied the liquid nails directly to the foam from the tube then I spread it thin with a cut piece of 1/32”Plywood (same method as an epoxy spreader). When applying a skin, I would wait until the adhesive had a “tack” to it (after about 2 minutes) then I would apply the Plywood skin. As soon as I applied the skin, I removed the plywood skin and look for spots where there was no adhesive on the skin (this would also texture the adhesive). Then I would apply the skin in it’s permanent position. It’s pretty easy to get very good seams in the plywood since one surface is applied at a time and the edge is trimmed like countertop laminate for the next surface.

Sequence:

1. vertical surface/ stringer 2. Running surface 3. anti-trip surface 4. freeboard (saw boat doesn’t have freeboard) 5 sponson deck. Prior to the subsequent surface the plywood edge would be trimmed back down to the surface of the foam (the controlling shape).

At this point I should state that my method of building is a little different than other folks version of WOF. I bring my foam to a final shape then I apply the skin. The foam I use is rigid surfboard foam that keeps it’s shape. The shaping of the sponsons takes very little time since its’s done with a surfboard shaping process, the application of the skin is the most time consuming…but it’s rock solid.

Hope this answers your question

sorry no pics until I build another.................

Latest posts

Back