Why is a hydro rudder on the left?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drobie

Just revisiting this issue. Does it really make that big a difference?

Seems that on the right, the boat would turn on it, same as the turn fin. In addition, if you had a setup in which you couldn't get the rudder behind the prop, it would prevent rudder wash from hitting the prop.

(Paul, I noticed you put Kane's on the right. You doing that all the time now?)

you will get just as many opinions to this question as you get replies.

Everyone has their own ideas as to which is better.

There is no right or wrong place to mount the rudder. One year the left side is all the rage because somebody set a new record with it that way, the next season it is the other side. : :)

Just do what you think looks best.

i'm pretty much with climate with this one.

but i put all mine an the right looking at the transom. only did the left once and it was nothing but problems!! (just stiring the pot)

i'm pretty much with climate with this one.

but i put all mine an the right looking at the transom. only did the left once and it was nothing but problems!! (just stiring the pot)
Tom, could you elaborate. What kind of problems? All mine are mounted left and I'm curious as to what gains might be had if they were moved right.

I run all of my riggers on the right and sport hydros on the left. I started putting the Sport Hydros rudders on the left to be more scale (even though everything we do is in reverse to them). I haven't had any trouble and set a few records along the way. I did set a 12 cell rigger up with the rudder on the left once and had some hooking problems, but I didn't stay with the project long enough to know if it was because the rudder was put on the left.

I'm just a seat of the pants racer and this is what works for me.

Dick

Everyone has their own stories and theories to support their practice so allow me to throw mine in too.

I have always mounted my hydro rudders on the left (riggers too). I always have been happy with their performance and have never felt any need to change.

The main reason why I prefer a rudder on the left, however has more to do with mechanics. It is easier to have the pushrod "pull" for a right turn. I prefer this to the pushrod "pushing" :) It might seem like a small thing but racing success is made up from a lot of "small things".

That's one of the best reasons I've heard Doug. At least it's a reason!

I wish I could back up claims for about half of the things that I do. Mostly, I go by "if it aint broke, don't fix it"

Dick

Jeff Vasquez used to say that with the rudder on the left there was more of a distance between the turning force provided by the rudder and the pivot point ( fin ), assisting turning. He got this idea from the Maus boys IIRC.

I run mine on either side, but mostly on the right. I cannot say that there is any marked difference. : :)

Let me in on this... ;D

On my stick boats i like the rudder on the right. I have had some problems with lifting and bouncing and the like with the rudder on the left. However i have not has any problems like this with a scale hull. Dont know why..

Grim

I've never known how to answer this question, It's reasuring to know that I'm not the one that feels this way!

I used to crew on the Pico Unlimited and the feeling was pretty much the same as what Jay said.

Still, I like them on the right for the riggers and left for the Sport boats.

Dick

I'll keep putting them on the left. I'm working on a boat and was consider right for a particular reason, but shied away when warned that it can cause the outside sponson to dip.

It is easier to have the pushrod "pull" for a right turn. I prefer this to the pushrod "pushing" :) It might seem like a small thing but racing success is made up from a lot of "small things".
Curious perception Doug. Seems you could get the rudder to pull by just keeping the servo arm on the right, regardless of where the rudder is.

I have always mounted the rudder on the right but in my latest project, I mounted it on the left for the first time. My reason for the change is that the rudder produces drag even at 0 deflection. By putting it on the left, it will balance the turn fin drag (I hope anyway), which is on the right. I hope the end result is that I can use less strut offset to run straight. I will find out if this is the case as soon as the season starts.

Kez

Latest posts

Back