Why don't mono hulls race with outboards?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffmaturo

Just wondering why I have never seen mono hulls racing like many of their full size counterparts with an outboard?

Seems like it may be fun.........

Jeff,

NAMBA used to offer outboard mono and hydro at the nationals.

Jerry Crowther I believe has or had the outboard mono record at one point.

The way the rules are written you can run an outboard mono in mod VP

Outboard Mono's would be fun, but sadly - its a very small niche that would run and appreciate one , I liken it to Mod Vp and Kneeler.

Sad but true .
default_mellow.png

That said , if you getting the itch to do something like this- grow the ModVp Crowd and do a mono version you can dream up that fits the rules and come play.
default_wink.png

Jeff, in IMPBA mono class is all inboard. Can't match the power of things like Nova and CMB inboards with long pipes. An outboard mono will not handle as well as an inboard because of the higher CG. The deep Vee hulls in particular don't handle well in rough water. I had one rigged with a 3.5 outboard and had the engine locked straight and used a rudder. Turned really well but would chine walk on the straights in rough water.

With that said, it would be fun to do on a club level. Experiment with different hulls and lower units. You will not find many shallow dead rise hulls being manufactured but there are a few. Come up with one that runs well and use it in Mod-VP, but it will need to steer with the engine. I think a Demon would work well but I don't think it would turn good unless the transom were inset which moves the prop and the hinge pin forward and reduces over steer.

In IMPBA you can run an OB in the mono class. But, like Mark said the IB's are faster so no one does.

100_2059.JPGI like outboards. They do not leave a mess inside the hull. As already pointed out, outboard monos will not be competitive against inboards. But part of the fun is the challenge to find the best compromise.

I still have a 45 Dumas Vee and a 20 vee that I built some 35 years ago. The 7.5 8701 turning a X447 can keep up with an average stock tunnel in a straight line back then but will never turn like a tunnel. It handled rough water pretty well but will spin out in a turn if you are not careful.

Here is a picture

kez

The first boat that got me hooked into running rc boats was a friend's Dumas Deep V with a K&B 3.5 outboard on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a few guys that, if they ever get off their azzes are working on some really cool Modvp - V hull options,

Bone up on the the rules and get a little outside the box thinking / a ton of testing and I think a mono outboard could do very well in ModVp .
default_rolleyes.gif

I for one know have driven several different Mod VP hulls that are / where a work in progress, test test test -
default_cool.png

If there was any interest in mod vp I would have a completely new boat for it. But we're having a hard enough time getting people to race the tunnel classes we have now.

If there was any interest in mod vp I would have a completely new boat for it. But we're having a hard enough time getting people to race the tunnel classes we have now.
Oh do tell - There is more interest than your giving credit for-

I need one of the " new" ones btw
default_rolleyes.gif

As usual, if I was given the new boat- I would gladly pass on mine to a new Mod VP driver,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Just sayin
default_wink.png

Make that boat - and I will promote it and be the test rabbit as years past have proven,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
default_huh.png

Vision through and though
default_cool.png

BTW- IF You wanna splash mine- Im good with that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

i believe there was a Canadian model boat builder that offered a mono hull designed for outboards..... cant remember the companies name....bob

i believe there was a Canadian model boat builder that offered a mono hull designed for outboards..... cant remember the companies name....bob
That would be AC Model. I think the Waveslave was released as an outboard

Back