Whiplash Sport 40

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian MAhoney

Just like to say a public thanks to Brian Balzer.

Finally got my Whiplash Sport 40 on the water. Water was a little choppy but the Whiplash coped with this no problem. Seems like a very well designed and balanced boat. A few times it lifted out the water, probably 6 -10 inches clear, but stayed level, landed and carried on as if nothing had happened. It's a boat that makes me look a good driver, I can use all the help I can get. For a fisrt run I am delighted.

If anyone is considering an winter project the you won't be dissapointed with one of Brian's Whiplash hydros.

Brian Mahoney

i jsut finished my first test runs this afternoon i have te gas version of the whiplash . all i can say is WOW .. forst runs out brought 97.3 kph thats 60.8 mph .. i found thats a A- ok speed to start with .. now looking for the right props and setup . .the boat handles like a dream .its realy on rails , even in the turns i can go full speed without losing power. . . just perfect !!

jerome

At nats, Eric Bourlet's gas whiplash had problems in the corners when the water got rough with 5 other boats out there. He ended up putting 3 lbs. of lead on the CG to get it to corner in the rough stuff. I also built him a 1667 that work great with his combo. He had set the heat oval record for GX1 with a G1 motor and did not know it till latter, so he did not put in for it. He ran a 1:23 and he was even trying.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to hear both of you guys are having luck! I did a lot of testing today with the gas version.

Engine: M&D 260

Pipe: M&D Adj.

Temp: 55 deg, not much wind

First of all, I tested the difference between square drive and cullet drive....no difference in anything.

All of the prop testing was done without changing the strut position.

Propworks 6518 mod: 65.8mph

great out of the corners, could use more pitch. Spun too easily.

Propworks 6717: 66.8mph

again, great out of the corners, handled good. Could use more pitch. Looked faster than it was.

Octura 1967: 68.7 mph

Not widely used, but works great. Good acceleration handled good. Pitched.

Octura V967: 72.2 mph

Great top end, seemed to throw the transom out in the corners. Prop is basically stock with a tweeking to the tips.

ABC H50: 70.2mph

Great prop for heat racing. Cornered nicely, good speed. Pitched up and flattened from the hub to the tips.

ABC S30 4 blade: 65.5 mph

Shows potential, handled awesome. Need to work on the top end. A ton of pitch was added, more will be added.

ABC 2716: 74.0 mph

Unbelieveable prop, accelerated nicely, great top end. This prop is stock. Boat never blew off all day, but with this prop the sponsons were just touching. Would need to make a strut adjustment for heat racing.

I am very excited with the potential of the new ABC props. Going 74 with a stock prop is awesome. I can't wait to start tweeking.

Eric Bourlet had one day of testing under his belt before the Namba Nats. I wish he had more time to get the bugs worked out. He added a ton of weight to the boat. The turnfin must be hooked, or else the fin will release and bad stuff happens This is what was happening to Eric. We don't add any weight to the boat and it is cornering great. Eric and company did what they had to do to get it to work on such short notice. He did an awesome job.

Brian

brain . that 2716 . was that a 2 ore 3 blade ? ? i have both . and tryed the 2 blade last sunday .. i wonder if the 3 will bring some more ..

jerome

Just a quick update. I have finally got some GPS readings.

x646 prop, tired cmb45 CAM gold head, 10% nitro. Bast speed 54.8 mph.

I had been having some fueling issues and was running mid to high 40's. I had to replace the coupler and used a longer length of silicon, imediately got a more consistent needle and another 6 mph. Now looking at moving towards high 50's.

The speed of the whiplash is very decpetive, on its own it takes the GPS to have any good idea of speed. With other boats on the water that "look" fast the whiplash just cruises past. I wish we raced the class over here as it is so stable it must be a joy to race in company.

Brian

sounds like you guys got a winner! Keep us posted w/the updates, I'd like to hear more. Any pix of the rear transom by chance?

here you go . .

brian . i am not sure about the gas ore nitro version , we tryed different setups last weekend , a deeper strutt adjust ment gave little more speed , depending on propps ofcouse. . i added just 2 mm to the stutt its a bit deeper now .. like you we are still ina test fase , we are in a group of 4 now and speeds are some where arround 60 . some just under some just above . but , i am sure 70 is possible with the right setup and prop .. if we can find that .

jerome

transom pics

transom.jpg

transom1.jpg

Jerome,

Two things that I see that if done, will make you faster.

There is a setscrew on your strut...trim that to the face of the strut.

Your rudder es extemely long. Some of us are using cut down .45 size rudders with great success. I will get you an exact measurement from the bottom of the prop to the bottom of the rudder. It looks like you can cut at least 25mm off it.

Doing these two things will make the boat at least 5mph faster.

Brian

he brian thanx for the tips .. ok the nut will be gone this second .. . about the rudder , right now its 9 cm ore 3 1/2 inch below the bottom of transom . it steers real good , and i am afraid of taking of material .. . how low is your rudder ?

jerome

speakerboy said:
he brian thanx for the tips .. ok the nut will be gone this second .. .  about the rudder , right now its 9 cm ore 3 1/2 inch below the bottom of transom . it steers real good , and i am afraid of taking of material .. . how low is your rudder ?
jerome

76132[/snapback]

I measured mine, and it is 3-1/2" from the transon as well. Picture is makes the rudder look huge.

Brian

Brian Blazer said:
Jerome,  Two things that I see that if done, will make you faster.

There is a setscrew on your strut...trim that to the face of the strut.

Your rudder es extemely long. Some of us are using cut down .45 size rudders with great success. I will get you an exact measurement from the bottom of the prop to the bottom of the rudder. It looks like you can cut at least 25mm off it.

Doing these two things will make the boat at least 5mph faster.

Brian

76122[/snapback]

Brian,

I agree trim that setscrew but I wouldn't cut the ruddar blade anymore.

Jerome, where do you live, that's a nice brick house outide your window.....LOL

hah ok no rudder cutting here lol .. .

i live in the netherlands , about 20 minutes south of amsterdam , that brick house a old place , i am going to move to a bigger house as we speak , with a big top room just for hobby room , i can t wait to go .. lol .

brian i found out my motor adjustments were not that well any way , i also sharpened the corners from the carbon ridepads , and the flex cable ruined my drivedog washer .. so i give the flex cabel some more room to schrink .. that might do it too .. props to test : 2716/2 spooned . 2716/3 spooned , 2716 /3 stock

and 2718 /2 back cut . .

brian did you used 2 ore 3 blade props .?

jerome

Thought the following pics may be of some intrest, sorry about the lighting and general untidyness of my work room, it's good for me though.

MAN!! That Thing Looks Like An Ardvark With His A$$ On FIRE!! WOW!

Impressive Pictures!! Looks Like A Ton Of Fun! Thanks For The Look. :eek:

he jerry , thanx for the comment :) you realy have to makesome pics of that hydro that your holding , i would love to make a cowl like that on the whiplash . . the whiplashes are running stronger and stronger . were passing the 100 kph line .. finaly .....

jerome

Hey Yeah, I remember you asking about that cowl. I still have your E-mail Address

and I'l try out my new scanner and see if I can get the pics thru to you that I made

the cowl with. May have to have the help of my computer friend to get it done.

I'm working on a rebuild of that model in the avatar right now,,had to modify hull

to remove some of the lift that the stock hull has. That boat has tried to qualify

for the Olympic Pole Valt Record a few times, I swear :lol: :p

Your boat looks like its Really moving,,I can tell from the pictures.

Back