whiplash 20 removeable radio box

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Hutchinson

my new whip modified . You can remove radio box for cleaning or ease of working on radio . was quite the challenge to get this motor to work on this boat. Front exaust cmb got the linkage figured out. then how to build the radio box so you can remove it not to difficult just cut down the support that goes over the top then remove the formers that make up the box . then just build a simple box with a clear lid . you have to round the edge of the box on the one corner so it clears the carb body.i think ill use rubber bands or o rings to hold the box down i made it a little small but i think everything will fit. mini or micro throttle servo , hitec hs 645 mg sterring servo , reciever and a hump or flat pak battery . i not sure where ill put the switch but thats the least of my problems. I did all this work and planning just to realise the manifold hits the cowling . so ill probally end up cutting out the cowling on that side and just building up the bulge with fiberglass and blend to cover. ill send pics of the cowling when finished

Last edited by a moderator:
well if i had not already gotten past that stage in my build i would be doing that! great idea, btw what seals are on there?

nice idea on the radio box..

couple tips since i have one.

if you could when you put the top deck on.. maybe think about making it where the deck doesn't cover up the back part of the box.. really that is the major pain part.. since most of it is tucked under the deck.

also. when you do put the top deck on.. use 1/32. i beleive it comes with 1/16 and is a PAIN IN THE A$$ to put on because it is so thick and the various curves.

and finally the cowl.. you spoke of the header hitting.. two things you can do. cut a slot for the header in the cowl.. the motor area gets SO HOT, you need the air to cool the header.. i had a hard time getting my pipe set it was moving.. well it was due to super heat.. cut a slot. cured the problem.

2nd.. you can heat the head up slightly with a torch.. put a rod or something close to the i.d. of the header in there and bend the header.. trust me. they don't crack and it bends like butter.

hope i helped

chris

I see that you plan on using a tape down lid.

Do you plan on removing the box every time you tape it up or will you be removing/ modding the deck skin over the box so you have full access to the box.

Looks nice though and hope your mod build goes without any major problems.

I suggest using screws up thru the bottom of the hull to hold the radio box in place. Use 440 screws and tnuts in some 1/8th ply inside the box. Just watch where you place the screws not to obstrut servo mounting. one or two screws would do it.

well if i had not already gotten past that stage in my build i would be doing that! great idea, btw what seals are on there?
The radio box seals in the picture are DuBro seals. I have used them on my riggers for years.

David

Dan, I am trying to make a removable radio box for my 21Whiplash. Looks like you removed your pictures...can you repost them or e-mail them to me?

The biggest issue I have is where to mount the throttle servo...If anyone can point me in the right direction...I would be very greatful for the help.

Thanks, Tim

Back