where has all the NItro gone

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The nitro is and will be there but gas is very appealing 'cause it's like plug and play. As John said you barely even have to be close to the correct set up and it'll still at least run ... instant gratification. :p The nitro still gets my blood flowing as there is simply no substitute for one of my twins on the pond dialed in at full song or the 1/8th scales that just look so realistic when they're out on the water. I enjoy both nitro & gas and will be running both all year, either way I'll have a good time. B)

This is so typical of what is wrong with people today everyone is looking for instant gratification , it seems that if there is any challenge or takes any real effort people just don't want to do it.

Probably the most enjoyable part of the hobby for me is getting my boats to a competetive level , I would not last very long in the hobby if it were just plug and play.

No attack on you Don I know you take the time and make the effort , it just seems that less and less people are willing to put anything into what they do anymore.

I also don't buy that people just don't have the time , you make time for the things you love to do........

Nitro is in my blood.

Tim K

The nitro is and will be there but gas is very appealing 'cause it's like plug and play. As John said you barely even have to be close to the correct set up and it'll still at least run ... instant gratification. :p The nitro still gets my blood flowing as there is simply no substitute for one of my twins on the pond dialed in at full song or the 1/8th scales that just look so realistic when they're out on the water. I enjoy both nitro & gas and will be running both all year, either way I'll have a good time. B)

This is so typical of what is wrong with people today everyone is looking for instant gratification , it seems that if there is any challenge or takes any real effort people just don't want to do it.

Probably the most enjoyable part of the hobby for me is getting my boats to a competetive level , I would not last very long in the hobby if it were just plug and play.

No attack on you Don I know you take the time and make the effort , it just seems that less and less people are willing to put anything into what they do anymore.

I also don't buy that people just don't have the time , you make time for the things you love to do........

Nitro is in my blood.

Tim K

Well said Tim

:) In our Namba District 16 popular Nitro :D Smell Love nitro& oil " Good green world " Hate messy gas also make big headache from carbon monoxide " Bad Environment and destroy :( I won't buy any gas boats so dont teach my son about gas because have a reason from school " GREEN WORLD"

Last edited by a moderator:

Nitro is in my blood.

Tim K
Tim, I agree with you my friend but unfortunately, a plug & play society is exactly what it's become. The other week in a thread on Jim's Boat Dock I was complimented on the level that I build these things, then in the very next sentence told how I am a dying breed ........ :ph34r:

Scott,

I will bring my rigger to the N.C. race if you want to have some nitro fun. 60 or 80 class? I can run either one.

Don is right when he tells me I can't stay away from the nitro stuff, no matter what I say, it will never stop being an addiction. Comparison........Beer or hard stuff...........gas or nitro. No matter how much I say gas makes sense, there is that obsession with nitro. The first step is to accept you are an addict. I admit, I am a nito addict. The first meeting of nitro addicts in District 12 will be at the ODMBA lake cleanup day.

Scott,I will bring my rigger to the N.C. race if you want to have some nitro fun. 60 or 80 class? I can run either one.

Don is right when he tells me I can't stay away from the nitro stuff, no matter what I say, it will never stop being an addiction. Comparison........Beer or hard stuff...........gas or nitro. No matter how much I say gas makes sense, there is that obsession with nitro. The first step is to accept you are an addict. I admit, I am a nito addict. The first meeting of nitro addicts in District 12 will be at the ODMBA lake cleanup day.
Bring your 60, I got him covered in the F class, between the two of us I'm sure we'll show Scotty all the fun he can handle. Gonna be a fun season this year no matter what as it's good friends that make it worthwhile, nitro or gas! :D

Scott,I will bring my rigger to the N.C. race if you want to have some nitro fun. 60 or 80 class? I can run either one.

Bring both of them. I'll have my 80 and Scott should have his boats.

Bring your 60, I got him covered in the F class, between the two of us I'm sure we'll show Scotty all the fun he can handle. Gonna be a fun season this year no matter what as it's good friends that make it worthwhile, nitro or gas! :D
Don, Keep me posted on this NC thing. Think I might want to join this nitro dance. :p :p

Don, Keep me posted on this NC thing. Think I might want to join this nitro dance. :p :p
Will do as Scott's got a hot runnin' 45 Roadrunner you can square up against (he's got a 21 R/R as well). He wants to play & Chuckles does too so we gonna play! B)

Nitro is in my blood.

Tim K
Tim, I agree with you my friend but unfortunately, a plug & play society is exactly what it's become. The other week in a thread on Jim's Boat Dock I was complimented on the level that I build these things, then in the very next sentence told how I am a dying breed ........ :ph34r:
Yes Sir... I am surprised sometimes in regards to how many racers that do well don't have a clue on what or how things on thier boats work or how to fix them when they break or malfunction. They just get out thier wallet and look for the person who can help. I had an old racer tell me once that 99% percent of the racers are just happy racing and paying someone else to make their equipment competative. The other 1% figure it all out and share what they can. :p The mix used to be a LOT more balenced.

I too am an addict....It started again with a stock OB, and now the fix is a stock and mod OB and a 21 Rigger. Oh momma, glow plugs and gallons of 65%.It going to be a costly season. I just hope there is others to race with?

I too am an addict....It started again with a stock OB, and now the fix is a stock and mod OB and a 21 Rigger. Oh momma, glow plugs and gallons of 65%.It going to be a costly season. I just hope there is others to race with?
There are certainly others with sport 20 tunnels. Less in the club with modded (if you mean piped) 20 tunnels. I think there are a couple .21 riggers. Personally, I chose a .45 rigger since they're supposed to be a little less fussy. Should be plenty in all these classes at the district races.

Control line airplanes at age 12.R/C planes at age 15. Had to build the tx and rx from a kit. Escapements, not servos.

First Model boat at age 17. Mc Koy red head 60 in a fiberglass, 3 point hydro. I have video.

Age 17 to 53 Mostly nitro, some electric.

Age 53 to 54 gas.

Age 54 to 55 gas and nitro.

Age 55 to 56 gas and nitro.

Age 57 Gas.

Still like nitro, but gas just makes more sense for every day fun racing.

Another "right on" for Andy.
I am not as old as John but I agree about the fun part. When a nitro boat is not right, then you kind of just go around the course. However a gas boat seems to go no matter what. Even if not 100% you can make it do things. I did not adjust my boat once last year. I didn't win anything either. But I could consistantly go out and get others attention for 4 laps or better. Trying to decide whether to keep the same crap hull or spend $600. Crap sounds good at the moment.
preston on that 4 th lap, let me know its you im chasing this year :eek:

Control line airplanes at age 12.R/C planes at age 15. Had to build the tx and rx from a kit. Escapements, not servos.

First Model boat at age 17. Mc Koy red head 60 in a fiberglass, 3 point hydro. I have video.

Age 17 to 53 Mostly nitro, some electric.

Age 53 to 54 gas.

Age 54 to 55 gas and nitro.

Age 55 to 56 gas and nitro.

Age 57 Gas.

Still like nitro, but gas just makes more sense for every day fun racing.

Another "right on" for Andy.
I am not as old as John but I agree about the fun part. When a nitro boat is not right, then you kind of just go around the course. However a gas boat seems to go no matter what. Even if not 100% you can make it do things. I did not adjust my boat once last year. I didn't win anything either. But I could consistantly go out and get others attention for 4 laps or better. Trying to decide whether to keep the same crap hull or spend $600. Crap sounds good at the moment.
preston on that 4 th lap, let me know its you im chasing this year :eek:
Preston,

If you had a conquest instead of that old nitro cat you would make it to lap #6. That boat is too narrow. Just a thought. Competitively, the driver and engine are where they need to be. It's that skinny cat. Spend the 600.00. Or..... get a sport hydro. They always finish. And there is the stock class! A stock Zenoah in that skinny cat might be the ticket.

I started with nitro and wood home designed and built boats and hardware, there was no gas then except for an O&R and it didnt have any power to speak of, this was the late 60's to mid 70's. I then left boating for about 30 years, got back in with nitro 21 45 67 boats monos and riggers. My son got in too but with gas boats, the thing I noticed was that he got about 80 percent more running time than I did! I have changed over to all gas boats now, they cost a bit more but are much more reliable, easier to see at a distance, the wind has less effect on them on our 40 acre lake, fuel is very cheap, put a new plug in once a year. The motors last if they are not overheated or dunked hard, needles are not so finicky, they run well in very cold weather, there are a lot of plusses for me at least. I ditched the pull starter for an electric, just bump it and it starts, let it idle down to the water, rev the enginge and launch my riggers with one hand. I still love the smell of nitro fuel though! It is just much easier and more reliable for this older guy. I also have my eye on the electric stuff too, the speeds are faster than gas or nitro. There is also no need for a radar gun as the gps fits nicely in the gassers...

Our club is about 75 percent gas or more now, 90 percent in the winter months.

mike sr

It would be nice if nitro guys could use "all" that was available to them. Like 101's in twins. Don't say to me "it costs to much" we've seen gas boaters say they know gas boats cost more than nitro. Don't say these boats are getting dangerous because of there speeds- Wasn't it a scale boat that hit a guy in the head? Probably at 60 mph, at that point they are all dangerous (In the air). The legal limit for F HYDRO AND twin CLASS NEEDS TO GO UP, just to spark some more interest. People need to quit whining about rules like "Now that twins have there own class, they don't need to run in F hydro". Clubs are trying to go against that rule saying you can't run twins in F HYDRO-Well until that rule changes "Shutup". Quiet pipe rules-Please ,there has not been a pond saved by quiet pipes, the only people that wanted that change do not hardly run boats, they just wanted to feel some political power. Let's not say where do we draw the line, lets push to get F hydro and twin class pushed to 40cc, (that will give us some lead way). Jeff Lutz

It would be nice if nitro guys could use "all" that was available to them. Like 101's in twins. Don't say to me "it costs to much" we've seen gas boaters say they know gas boats cost more than nitro. Don't say these boats are getting dangerous because of there speeds- Wasn't it a scale boat that hit a guy in the head? Probably at 60 mph, at that point they are all dangerous (In the air). The legal limit for F HYDRO AND twin CLASS NEEDS TO GO UP, just to spark some more interest. People need to quit whining about rules like "Now that twins have there own class, they don't need to run in F hydro". Clubs are trying to go against that rule saying you can't run twins in F HYDRO-Well until that rule changes "Shutup". Quiet pipe rules-Please ,there has not been a pond saved by quiet pipes, the only people that wanted that change do not hardly run boats, they just wanted to feel some political power. Let's not say where do we draw the line, lets push to get F hydro and twin class pushed to 40cc, (that will give us some lead way). Jeff Lutz
Hopefully this thread will not turn into another noise rant, but I felt compelled to comment. The noise from our boats has definitely been a significant cause in the lack of more than one pond, just as noise has caused the loss of many a flying field. Unless you're running at a pond that's in the middle of nowhere, with nobody to bother, or is owned by someone with the willpower to ignore the complaints, keeping your head in the sand and saying noise is not an issue is a formula to losing yet more ponds. Noise is a big issue and it's great that the organizations are taking it seriously. The sooner EVERYONE gets on board and does their part in reducing noise, the better for our hobby.

Will do as Scott's got a hot runnin' 45 Roadrunner you can square up against (he's got a 21 R/R as well). He wants to play & Chuckles does too so we gonna play! B)
20/40/60 and an F Rigger that is being refurbished now. Meet ya'll in Greensboro!! Some of you in Atlanta!! ;) :D

Back