Whats your opinion?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one Coat of west systems on boat to seal wood. Can I still use a urethane primer or do I have to stick with epoxy sine I put west systems on to seal wood.

Jim

I have one Coat of west systems on boat to seal wood. Can I still use a urethane primer or do I have to stick with epoxy sine I put west systems on to seal wood.

Jim
There are some brands that intermix well (like PPG white epoxy primer with House of Kolors top coats) but that's not always the case. I would say play it safe and use what primer is recommended for whatever your color coat will be.
default_smile.png

I recommended dupont variprime 615/616. as the bite agent.

I was asst store manager for Auto body Express Tampa. PPG

Color matched for dealerships.

Was trained by professionals, shop manager for Dealer aftermarket restyler,

Personally trained in 1980's by John Greenwood on disassembly and reassembly, painting of Greenwood Corvettes built for Dealerships.

Winner world of wheels 1988 best new concept auto with a Thunderbird turbo coupe, beating Car Craft Magazines Project Fiero out of Cal. Spoilers plus full ground effect car.

Tcp. Global is where I bought all my DeVilbiss guns.

Didn't mean to misunderstand, just,02 from a boater to a boater.

Best wishes to you.

RP

Its expensive but, Dupont Korlar 2 part Epoxy primer.....great build up, doesn't sand quite as easy as other primers, but its tough, and unlike most other primers, it does seal! Ive primed a number of boats with this, and then painted with Imron colors, then 500S clear...great stuff, just awfully expensive.....Klasscote is good stuff for the money, just not a lot of color choices!

Last edited by a moderator:
My friend works at a r and d center for GM he told me that !st finish k2 high build urethane is a great primer to. thanks a mil guys. now I have to make a choice between epoxy and urethane base coat clear coat.

My vote go urethane, if you get a run or dirt the base coat wet sand it out same with the clear coat. Dries fast, seal your decals under the clear. More color options,sprays easier too

For general info. I've shot four boats with Klasskote on surfaces ranging from gelcoat to G10 plate to epoxy sealed wood without primer. I have never had it lift or chip off any surface. This includes the FE cowls and gas radio box lids that are taped down. They can also color match for you of you can send them a sample. I try to keep things simple on most of my race boats figuring they are going to get banged up, but I still want them to look good. The scale boat will be a different story.

For general info. I've shot four boats with Klasskote on surfaces ranging from gelcoat to G10 plate to epoxy sealed wood without primer. I have never had it lift or chip off any surface. This includes the FE cowls and gas radio box lids that are taped down. They can also color match for you of you can send them a sample. I try to keep things simple on most of my race boats figuring they are going to get banged up. The scale boat will be a different story.
I agree Mike, unless it's a concourse Scale, shoot that sh#t and be done with it. The prep work is more of a PIA then the paint work.

For general info. I've shot four boats with Klasskote on surfaces ranging from gelcoat to G10 plate to epoxy sealed wood without primer. I have never had it lift or chip off any surface. This includes the FE cowls and gas radio box lids that are taped down. They can also color match for you of you can send them a sample. I try to keep things simple on most of my race boats figuring they are going to get banged up. The scale boat will be a different story.
I agree Mike, unless it's a concourse Scale, shoot that sh#t and be done with it. The prep work is more of a PIA then the paint work.
+1.... As I posted earlier, I couldn't agree more with the 2 above posts.

It's really nice stuff to work with.

Later,

Back