Whats your fastest Sport 40, one mile heat time ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the best time you have run in a 6 lap one mile heat race with your Sport 40?

• 75 sec

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 76 sec

• 77 sec

• 78 sec

• 79 sec

• 80 sec

• 81 sec

• 82-84 sec

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 85-87 sec

• >87 sec

• Total voters
Well Buzbee I suspect you are correct but... I know that Mark A has run a valid 75 sec heat and I just ran an 80 second heat this past weekend at the NAMBA district 8 race in Tacoma, WA. I just had a hard time hitting my exit in the right turn but am happy with a 1:20 . I was driving an Anderson Mutt II powered by an old Picco EXR silver head disk rotor.

I never intended to start a huge debate on how to run races and appreciate the fact it would appear that Phil understands the intent of my poll. I just thought it would be fun to see how things compare. Heat times are far different from record trail times because of other boats, how close you hit your starts, number of dead boats... That being said I do think that a heat time is a far better benchmark of how well you are doing than a radar speed. In the past I got hung up on radar speeds and found they do not always translate to a good heat racing setup. I look forward to seeing some heat times posted here. Please do keep this to the original question and do not let it turn into a debate on the validity of heat times. If some of you want to start another thread to debate that feel free. Thanks Phil and all that are willing to participate. I look forward to more people posting times.

Eric; I watched your run with intrest and thought you did a good job on that heat.If I remember right you had a couple of dead boats to deal with and lap traffic. You should be able to take a couple more secs. off at the next dist. race. congrats Greg. O' ya I finally got signed up!

Ron I saw you duck under those dead boat at the nats off of bouy 6 :D :D . I think its a good idea to be able to time them just to get the feel if your in the ball park on times. As for as traffic you can disreguard that time. Ron I need your race program Email me at [email protected] want it for the sept race......Mikey

We time boats in our scale association races because of qualifying for points to make the Final. In 2001, we passd a rule in NAMBA District 19 for the district heat races to do the run off for a tie as IMPBA does. That is where the idea came from.

I have not heard one complaint either way for run offs or times.

I fail see taking the stand of loaded heats, bad water, or a human manning the stopwatch to determine if a time is accurate. Everything we do to conduct a race is humanly controlled......including setting the course. Thats racing and what makes it fun and competitive.

There are those who like 1/3 mile oval, straightline and heat racing times. There is a place for everybody. Thats the good part about it. I guess I just have more fun with other boats on the water in a race. When I hear the heat race time, if its a good one, I am thrilled.

I came in third at the NAMBA Nats in Sport 40. I have won Unlimited Lights in our Scale circuit with the same boat and Sport 40 at District level this year. I am happy.

So Eric, put me down for a time slower than you and Mark (and most others).

How about a voting poll for pertiest paint job? ;) Steve Muck cringes at my boat.

Let the good times roll. ;)

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

NAMBA Scale Unlimited Chairman

President-Southern California Scale Thunderboat Association

I would have to agree with the Steve on your boat paint scheem too. [SIZE=14pt] THAT IS ONE UUUGGGLLLYYY BOAT!!!![/SIZE]

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Ran across this. It does have a very nice turn fin though.

Hey Mikey,

I don't even have that cowl any longer. Don Maher and I were having a heck of a race last week. Coming out of turn two, he hit a buoy and flew across my hull. Took off the whole cowl.........that was after I split the thing from one end to the other in the morning by hitting a turtle.

If I put a pretty paint job on the thing with all the hits this year, it would weigh as much as my scale. I need to quit leaving the boat outside at night. Those San Diego pigeons that eat spinach quiche really leave a mess. That's why I call the boat Miss Pigeon Doo!

I will say that I am sold on your skid fin.............or I would not have bought two more from you at the Nats for my other 40 boats. Now DPD and MTO can cringe when I break out the paint gun. See ya...........

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

I am sorry Eric....................I didnt mean to.

hey, here is a revelation. On a previous post, Mark Anderson was helping me out with pipe length, falling off the pipe, etc. I had to replace my Andy Brown nitro pipe and Rum Racing Products muffler with a new pipe. I couldnt get another nitro pipe, so I put on one of Andy's black AB pipes. I made the length to the high spot on the pipe the same as the nitro pipe. I didnt get to test at all. I just raced it as it was. According to Don Maher and Mark Grim, I was running about the same speeds as before.

I am sure with a little more Rand D and leaning of the motor, I could do better, but here was omething interesting.

With the nitro pipe, I always flowed the motor at 5.6. Not one tenth lower or it would go lean.

With the black AB pipe, it flowed at 5.0. I didnt want to go any lower as I wanted to finish my heats for the day. Go figure. Any thoughts............????????

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

Al, it could be that pipe has more pressure where you put the pressure tap or just higher back preasure . Remember the flow meter is a great tool to get the same setup back that you tested to get but do not attempt to use it to compare different set ups. If you change anything then you need to use old fashion testing to get the boat just right then take a flow reading and you can get the boat back to that same point. But never make a change like a pipe, prop... and try to use a flow measurement that you used on a different setup this is just a waste of time.

Eric,

the only reason I even noticed the difference was because I tried to fire up the boat untested with the new pipe. I could not get it to stay running after I removed the glowbie. Somebody walked by and said "change the plug". This was after I had drastically changed the needle setting.

I changed the plug and the boat fired right up. I adjusted the needle by ear and throttle response. The boat ran good so I flowed it. That is when I saw the flowmeter difference.

I will admit, the entire pipe has a little more back pressure when I blow through it compared to the last pipe/muffler. So it looks like you called it my friend. Thanks,

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

HEY YALL: I DONT HAVE ANY IDEA HOW FAST THE ONE I HAVE IS , BUT IT WAS NATL. CAMPION BCK IN 1996. AND I STILL RUN HER , SHES A LOT FASTER NOW THAT I HAVE A CMB EVO RS IN HER , GOD BLESS :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

James, is that the same boat (version) that Paul Shaw had? Just wondering, I picked up the boats from Jan.

Mark.

Mark did she sell you the ironing board old outboard mono??? Do you have her number id love to call her and chat.....Mikey

Mikey,

I bought every thing she had left over, this was back in 97.. So I'm certain that boat was included.. Believe it to be white?? As for her #, pm'd ya on that one..

Mark.

Latest posts

Back