Whats your fastest Sport 40, one mile heat time ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the best time you have run in a 6 lap one mile heat race with your Sport 40?

• 75 sec

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 76 sec

• 77 sec

• 78 sec

• 79 sec

• 80 sec

• 81 sec

• 82-84 sec

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 85-87 sec

• >87 sec

• Total voters

Eric Bourlet

Supporting Member
Just though it would be fun to see what the fast Sport 40 guys are up to. be honest this is just for fun guys. If you can share what hull you are running and when and where you ran your fast time that would be great. Thanks

Mosdt races in IMPBA are not timed for 6 laps or for that matter any laps. IMPBA oval records are for 2 lap times =1/3rd mile.

Our new records director is preparing an additional record competition consisting of 6 laps timed by the IMPBA timing light set. This is still in the development stages.

Dont know the time but turns on a dime and shot it with radar 57 and more left Mikey

Thanks ,I did not realize that IMPBA did not race on a 1 mile course, NAMBA runs a 6 lap mile. Does IMPBA have a "legal" course size? Do you run a 5 lap 0.9 mile or do you guys just run whatever size the host club sets up? I was not looking for people to post times only if they were records but rather the fastest time they had run in competition.

I see Mark Anderson must be lurking he is the only guy I know that has turned a 75 sec mile in competition.

Eric we run the same 1 mile course 6 laps. We just dont do timing at our events.Im not the fastest but the boys up front know im there lurking and pushing for them to have a brain CRAMP......Mikey

Most all IMPBA clubs use the 1/6th mile oval running 6 laps for the mile. The course has 330' straights with 35 foot radius turns. If a surveyed course is laid out the course can be used for record trials.

I think NAMBA times the heat records from the start gun to the fastest finisher runing 6 laps.

The impba timing for 1/3rd mile oval, running two laps uses bouy one for the start finish.

Buzbee

The digital clocks i have seen used, start counting down the max 5 minute run time automatically at the start of the race. Why not redo the counter to count up and have the cd stop the clock when the first boat finishes each heat. Use a stop watch to time the max 5 minute run time.

Eric, What method do you use to time the fast race times. stop watch?

We use a stopwatch for competition times the watch is started when the clock hits 0 not when the boat crosses the start line, so a good start is very important. We use timing lights for 2 lap and strait line events. We keep times on all the heat races as that is how we break a tie in the points. In NAMBA any record set with a stopwatch expires in 3 years just in case the stopwatch operator made a mistake.

I see that so far two say they have run a 75 sec heat race I sure would like to have them post some more info. Like where ,when, hull, motor, prop...I have seen that done only once and that was under perfect race conditions by the fastest Sport II in NAMBA. I am surprised that there are two that are on this board that have accomplished that. Come on guys how about giving up some details?

Last edited by a moderator:
Eric,

I run in IMPBA with Mikey. So I don't have any official heat times either. I run one of Phil's hulls with a Picco Blackhead and have hit 65 mph on radar running in lanes 2 and 3 with my heat racing set up at Evansville. This was backed up a few weeks later with two passes at 64 mph. Jonathon Benedict runs the same hull with an OPS and sees 64 mph all the time.

The water was very sticky at the Internats in Jackson. Ernie Lafluer won the oval event with a time of 26.708 seconds for two laps. Phil won SAW with an average time of 3.805 seconds, beating me by only .009 seconds. This was the first time I had ever participated in a timed event.

BTW - Congratulations to Ernie for winning the first ever IMPBA US-1 in Sport 40.

Mikey,

Let's start timing our heats.

What we need is a little help from clock man Randel Thomas,im sure this would be an easy mod for his clock. Ita sure would help gauge the fastest boat in each class and maybe we could give some kind of recognition <muffed that word LOL to the fast boat in each class......Mikey

If you guys don't keep heat times how do you break a tie. As far as a clock why make it so compicated we use a stopwatch that is able to time all the boats the CD starts it when the clock hits zero and hits the lap button for each boat the finishes. Keep it simple.

Eric,

We fire them up slap them on the water and run them off..

If you have a bad run.. GOT YA.. :D

Its quite fun.. ;)

Grim

Eric as the c/d of our races and a club with less then 15 members a stop watch is not possible as the start of the heat takes all my attention. If our clock was switched to count up after the start verses down from 5 minutes all id have to do is look at the time when the winner crossed the finish line,hey im looking there anyway. Mikey

Mike or Phil you should pass on the suggestion to Randall this would be another time saving idea for a tie breaker along with a way to loose the excess mill time be fore the start if all boats are up and running. Sure would make it easier to get five rounds of racing in for the weekend.

I think the guys that clicked on your poll may have been day dreaming Eric. If you do the math Ernies times for 6 laps would only equal out to 80 seconds and that is running by his self in very good conditions.

I just dont see the point of setting records while heat racing! Yes I am in Namba and I think it is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard! Then on top of that we set the 2004 Winter Nats course up per the NAMBA rule book and I was told by the NAMBA Records Director who was there that our course is not the right size because the rule book is wrong, Go figure???

I am also IMPBA and have been for most of my racing tenure, I have set up many IMPBA 1/3rd mile course's and there is no mistaking how long the SAW is or the radius of the turns for the oval.

In my estimation a much better way to set and record records is the IMPBA way 1 boat at a time using the average of two lap sets for oval with the best set of a possible three sets of times for SAW.

Hey guys the clock does not need to count up from 0 to figure the time it takes any of the boats to finish! I.E. at mill time expiration the clock goes 0 and then instantly begins to count down from 5:00. 1st boat finishes with 3:40 so it took 1:20 for that boat to complete, next boat at 3:34 equals 1:26 3rd boat 2:30 equals 2:30. No problem right? The RaCe Manager program may eliminate any need for that though if we get our lap counting system worked out.

The run off deal is cool but so is going into the last round knowing you are tied with some one and you have to not only win but you have to run a good time. I have been in situations that required me to run fast time of the event and you basically just get in time trial mode and hope the traffic does not hold you up too much.

I made a 75 second run four years ago with a Picco powered Mutt 2.

Eric congrats on your record run Sunday.

Mark

Ron,

Recording heat racing times are not an attempt to set oval records and will never replace the merit of setting such records. Heat racing times are recorded for other reasons. Not only is it a great tool for tie breakers, but it gives the racers something to take into consideration when making imrovements to their set up and driving skills. I don't attend timed events as I am only interested in head to head heat racing. But I think it would be great to have some numbers to use for comparing minor changes to the boat in heat racing conditions. Plus it would give us something to brag about at the end of the day.

Hey Dennis, I'm not against tracking the time but I dont see where it is advantageous at all for breaking ties or testing setups. A head to head run off is the only way to solve a tie. I think using times via a stop watch triggered by humans is very unreliable and on top of that one contestant gets the heats from hell where all the dead boats are in the lane of choice therefore he has to run wide while the competitor he is going to be tied with lucks out in his heats and gets the clean and easy way around, guess who will be faster and win the event and possibly without ever racing against the guy who tied with him. There are just to many variables to rely on a "Heat Racing" time to break a tie or be of any credibility. I dont even see them as a good way to test different props or setups as each heat is a different monster and the time it takes will never be the same even without changing anything on your boat.

Just my opinion.......... :D

Ron

Last edited:
Well we will have to do some timing of the sport40 boats rest of the year.

All will be honest Im sure. Post your times, when and where, here.

Just have your pit man or someone else time your boat if the race cd isnt set up to do it.

Sounds like fun Ill find out how many are faster than my old boat. Oh yea you do have to finish a heat to get a time. LOL

Ill start a log of times at the next race for those who want to participate.

PHIL

Latest posts

Back