What Size Running Hardware?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BneHead

Hello all,

I'm coming to near completion of my Dumas Drag'N Fly 20. Now I need to get the running hardware.

What diameter should I be using for the flex shaft? Should I use .150 or .187 (3/16) size cable?

The original called for a 3/16 solid shaft, so I'm assuming that I should stick with that size for the flex cable.

Also, how do I install the flex shaft though the hull? Do I use a stuffing tube with bushings/needle bearings at the ends? Or do I use a Teflon tube and run that through a stuffing tube? Or just the Teflon liner goes through the bottom of the hull? Too many ways to do this I guess. Any input from anyone who has installed a flex shaft though the bottom of the hull would be very appreciated.

I want to keep this boat as stock as possible with regards to the strut. The original strut was to be mounted underneath the boat forward of the transom. All the strut hardware I've see from other manufactures mount the strut to the transom. There is only enough room to mount the rudder on the transom. I've check out Prather and Octura hardware and they all seem to mount on the transom. Dumas is the only manufacture I've seen that will mount the strut under the boat (it comes up through and attaches between 2 brackets).

Turn Fin?? What size should it be? Lenght I mean. Dumas makes one, but does not show the size. Just wondering what size from other manufactures would work.

Oh, and the engine that I will be using will be an O.S. .15 CV-MX. I know I will need a flywheel for this as well as a collet for the flex shaft. Any idea about who makes a collet for this engine?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

BneHead.

I have a Dragon Fly 60, what a fun boat!! :D

It was originally set up with a solid shaft, but I tore it up, so I switched to a flex shaft. Since you are going to run it with a .15, I would go with a .150 cable with a 3/16 prop shaft so you can use the most common props. as far as the strut, you can mount any strut that is designed to go on the transom by turning the mounting bracket 90 degs & mounting it to the inside bottom of the boat just like the plans show. Sorry I can't help much on the turn fin, I really don't know. With a flex cable, you do not use a stuffing tube with needle bearings in it. go to your local hobby shop, & get K&S brass tubes. You can use a Teflon liner if you want, or you can go without the Teflon, it depends on you preference. If you go with the Teflon liner, make sure to put a gradual "S" bend in the tube. this is how I installed my flex tube, (right or wrong) I cut a slot through the hull to allow me to position the tube easily, then when it was in place with the cable help by the strut at one end, & the engine collet at the other, i used a little epoxy, & fiberglass tape to lock it in place. There might be a better way though. Octura will have a collet for you, but you will need to know what the thread size is for your crank. Also OS makes a .15 size marine flywheel.

Hope this helps a little

This might solve your turn fin problem.

I know he ships his fuel tanks all over the world, so it shouldn't be a problem having him send you one.

www.grimracer.com

I woild go with the new sport 20 trun fim that grim has on his home page, you can't go wrong with him!

Last edited by a moderator:
Most people will reccomend a 3/16 shaft for engines smaller than .21. Aeromarine makes a o.s .15 collet I believe (http://www.aeromarinerc.com). www.offshoreleectrics.com makes turn fins.

Phil B) :) <_<

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the replies. It's all been helpfull,

Here's the running hardware that I have chosen:

OC6SBCOML-150 STRUT ASSEMBLY-designed for use with .21 nitro engines or geared electrics- it comes with:

OC6SBE (strut blade) with

2 - OC6LTS (sleeve bearings),

OC61SONP (nose piece),

OC6150PS (prop shaft),

OC6DMM (drive dog),

OC4SBBR (mounting bracket), a washer, retaining nut and a 4/40 socket head wrench (for the drive dog set screw) with 18"of .150 flexible cable (standard left lay) and 18"of .150 teflon tubing (OC6150PS and cable not joined)

OC4WR WEDGE RUDDER ASSEMBLY with:

OC4WBE (cast wedge rudder blade),

OC4PIBR (pivot bracket),

OC4PISH (pivot shaft) and

OC4SBBR (mounting bracket)

beryllium copper -for use with direct drive electrics or smaller nitro hulls

OCFH5MM15 5mm crank shaft size, .150 cable

Any idea on the diameter of the brass tubing that I should uses for .150 cable with a teflon liner?

I think that I will be making my own turn fin, I have lots of metal and aluminium.

Hey wswatzell, do you have any pics of your Drag 'N Fly 60? Would love to see a video of one of these running!

Once again all, Thanks!! All of your help has been much appreciated. Will keep you updated on the progress and hopefully have some pics soon!

PLease, tell me the total cost of it! Ive been having major trouble finding a hardware setup. And a link please. :D Ill be running a .26 picco, and i think that will work since its a .21 case. Is that a complete list you will need for a 100% ready hardware setup?

Thanks!

Phil :) :D B)

Hey Pennywizz6,

The total cost to be was about 135 Canadian. About the only way to get parts from Octura is to order from your LHS. Here is a link to what Octura has in their catalog: Octura Catalog

Best way to get parts is phone or email your LHS or an Online Shop and ask if they can get the parts in for you and the price.

Hope this helps

Oh, the only thing I didn't get was a turn fin. And yes, it is a complete list you will need for a 100% ready hardware setup, minus the stuffing tube, but most LHS carry K&S brass tubing.

Back