What size cabon rod for riggers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redster

I'm finishing up my sponsons for a 6-8 cell hydro today and starting the tub.I have a 1/2 centimeter carbon rod but I'm not sure if this would be stiff enough.What do you guys out there use on your riggers for 6 cell and for 12 cell?

Redster ???

Depends on the kind of boating you are going to do.

If you are oval track racing I would go with something a bit thicker than 5MM (.197)

All of our stock Blizzard kits (6-8 cell) use a .350 OD tube. It is a bit beefy, but will take the dings and bumps of the race course.

My SAW version uses .235 OD tubes. Those are prety thin! One hit or some rough water and its all over.

Our 12 cell Matrix rigger uses .414 OD tube. Again a bit larger than required, but strong enough for some abuse.

Peter

www.climatemodels.com

Thank you so much for everyone's input.I have a nother question for my rigger construction.I have 1/16 ply,is this enough for the tub sides or should I use 1/8 ply?Back on the rods,should I put aluminum tube where the rod inserts on the tub and sponsons?This is my first rigger that's why I have so many questions.I'm just a good builder from designing and building gliders.I'm taking a break from that and getting into boats more.Less frustrating,you know what I mean?

Redster

The Hammerhead 12 has 1/6 ply with 1/32 ply laminated to it. as far as the Sponson rods. Like Ron said, we are using .188 solid rod & yes they are shoved though an 7/32 OD .014 wall aluminum tube that goes through the hull & another tube that goes in the sponson. To hold them in place, some guys use electrical tape or others use 7/32 ID rod collects DuBro makes them, otherwise the collects are next to impossible to find.

Hope this helps. if you need a picture, I can email you one.

"We are using the 3/16" solid rods on the Hammerhead .12 kits. "

You mean the HH.12 kits are available now????? ;D ;D

Peter.

Not quite but getting close. I just got home from working on Marty's kits and doing some spare parts.

Back