What Oil What Ratio Why

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone has their favorites, but the brand probably won't make any difference in power. We dyno tested several brands and got as identical results as we've ever gotten on our dyno. I've used Quicksilver for years, mostly because it's easy for me to get. However, the amount of oil will affect power. A long time ago people discovered that twice the recommended amount of oil increased power. The standard these days is 8 ounces of oil per gallon. As much as 10 ounces per gallon may help the big end bearing live. More than that doesn't seem to help.

Lohring Miller

I use Quicksilver as Lohring does. I use 10 ounces per gallon and hav had NO failures due to oil.

Kevin

Great info keep it coming. Lohring was the dyno test using pump gas. I know some use white gas but not sure why?

It's going to be another "Oh boy, here we go!" threads!
default_biggrin.png

I've been running mostly Honda HP-2, 8oz. to a gallon for a long time now although there's other brands that I wouldn't be afraid to try. The Honda dealership is about 1-1/2 miles away so it's easy to get. I drive by a Merc dealer on the way to the lake so it'd be easy to pull in there. I found Amsoil at Belle Tire, a big tire chain here in Michigan, usually easier than most places to score it.

I'm using Coleman/Ozark Trails campstove fuel for the other part of the mix.

There are two reasons I run Coleman fuel

1. Using pump gas you never know what additives are manufactures are putting in their fuel, you also don’t know how much alki is in it. Alki will do strange things to your carb. So I use Coleman because no matter where I am racing at I know I can go to Walmart and get exactly the same fuel I run at home.

2. The most important reason. I can go to the lake and not come home smelling like I have been running a weed eater all day, then I have to listen to my wife ***** at me. Also, I know of a few people who haul their boat stuff inside an enclosed SUV and have gotten sick from the fumes, one even almost passed out while driving.

DonB

I know fuel is probably cheap compared to the rest but $14 a gal Coleman fuel vs. $4 what about vp small engine fuel

$9.87 a gallon at Wally-world. Around here they have trouble keeping it in stock as there's a lot of meth made in the area.

I know fuel is probably cheap compared to the rest but $14 a gal Coleman fuel vs. $4 what about vp small engine fuel
$10.00 a gallon is cheap compaired to $23.00 for nitro fuel.

And the piece of mind, knowing you have "Good" fuel in your jug,,,, and your carb diaphragms aren't eaten away by the Ethanol in the gas station gas you ran the last time out

Yup, clean fuel with no additives that can quickly ruin the diaphragms, long shelf life, cleaner burning without the nasty gas smell, no carb adjustments needed, cooler burning and probably many others that make it worth the money even to a tightwad like me.

The last gallon of nitro I bought was $30.00 a gallon and that was cheap then.

Yes, I did bring up the use of it in an illegal substance as if you buy some of the other stuff used in the manufacturer of it at Wal-mart which I really don't know what's used you will have someone following you out into the parking lot to get your license plate number.

Just as a rule of thumb I use Chevron or 76 here in CA. Only because I know what additives they use. The information was made available to me from Yamaha when I bought a fishing boat with a 150hp and an 8hp trolling motor. They recommend staying with certain brands. So with that I buy the same fuel from the same station each time. Then I separate the ethanol and siphon off the clean fuel and filter before mixing with 10 oz of Amsoil Saber. Bearings are in top shape and longer life out of diaphragms too.

We tested Coleman fuel and various pump fuels including non ethanal gasoline, E 10, E 85, and premium gasoline. We checked the actual ethanol content. We found no significant power difference. We also checked various amounts of nitromethane in methanol and gasoline/ethanol mixtures. Again there was very little power difference. The main reason for this is we ran the same ignition timing, compression ratio, and pipe for all fuels. The higher alcohol content fuels burn cooler and can run higher compression ratios. They definitely needed a custom pipe. The fact that Coleman fuel (50 to 55 octane rating) runs well means even regular gasoline could run higher compression ratios.

Lohring Miller

Just as a rule of thumb I use Chevron or 76 here in CA. Only because I know what additives they use. The information was made available to me from Yamaha when I bought a fishing boat with a 150hp and an 8hp trolling motor. They recommend staying with certain brands. So with that I buy the same fuel from the same station each time. Then I separate the ethanol and siphon off the clean fuel and filter before mixing with 10 oz of Amsoil Saber. Bearings are in top shape and longer life out of diaphragms too.
Same here, separating the ethanol and using 10 oz. of Quicksilver

Take a the fuel can and pour 6 oz of water in it and shake it up. Let it sit overnight the water and ethanol will fall out and reside at the bottom.

Siphon off the top 3/4 of the fuel leaving the water/ethanol undisturbed on the bottom.

here in Australia, we are very fortunate to have 91 octane (usually upto 10% ethanol) 95 octane 98 octane and 100 octane (again with upto 10% ethanol). I typically run fresh 98 octane with elf HTX 976+ full synthetic oil. I run at 25:1 ratio. Its all personal preference. In the time I have been playing with 2 strokes Ive never had an oil starvation issue with elf oil.

Back