what does it take

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lay26

Supporting Member
while looking through the namba site of records and being an avid sport 40 racer. ithough that i would throw this question out. what do you guys think it would take to break the current record for sport 40. what platform(boat) would be best(other than using the current record holding boat). and what motor would you all choose.i know that it takes a lot of R&D but indulge the question for a moment. i was thinking a whiplash/cmb might be the ticket. what say you.

this is nambas' straightline record:

Sport 40-2

Mark Anderson

11-99

81.17 mph

Picco

Mutt II

Brown H-30

and the two lap is

Sport 40-2

Mark Anderson

11-99

51.03mph

Picco

Mutt II

Octura 1655

i don't know what impbas' record is. Rodney i don't have a mutt-2. i came close before but i didn't follow through. bad timming. ;)

Lay26 said:
this is nambas'  straightline record:
Sport 40-2

Mark Anderson

11-99

81.17 mph

Picco

Mutt II

Brown H-30

and  the two lap is

Sport 40-2

Mark Anderson

11-99

51.03mph

Picco

Mutt II

Octura 1655

i don't know what impbas' record is.  Rodney i don't have a mutt-2. i came close before but i didn't follow through. bad timming. ;)

110013[/snapback]

IMPBA records

Gary Preusse Sport 40

SAW 2.662 81.759mph

Mutt II Nelson motor

Mike Betke Oval 1/3 mi.

21.689 55.9 mph

Betke/Berari hull Picco motor

Brian

Man I sure wish some one would take a shot at it! That would give me the motivation to get the new record trial boat off the drawing table and onto the water!

I ran over 84 one way in 99 but could not back it up. That was with my circle race boat (set the two lap record the next day) and a stone stock Picco disc motor.

It takes a free running boat and a motor with the grunt to pull enough pitch off the beach.

mark you may just get that motivation :D like the older folks say "it's better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all".

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark

You allready built that boat. You just need to get remotivated. Since its incounter with the concret piling, it kinda took the wind out of your sails.

Mike

PS How is my A440 coming along?

IMPBA records

Gary Preusse Sport 40

SAW 2.662 81.759mph

Mutt II Nelson motor

Mike Betke Oval 1/3 mi.

21.689 55.9 mph

Betke/Berari hull Picco motor

Brian

Both set at Flint, MI might I add. :rolleyes:

I think that to really do the SAW record justice will require a purpose built boat. Hell for that matter a serious two lap attempt would benefit from a purpose built boat. A boat that does not have to run through traffic can be considerably lighter than a circle race boat. I was just trying to see how fast I could get my 8 1/2 pound circle race boat to go. At the time the speeds we were running caused some very interesting coments from around the country prompting my trip to California to run the boat in front of some very vocal skeptics. Since that time I think there have been some big improvements in the understanding of what it takes propellor wise to really run fast in SAW trim.

Lay26 said:
8 1/2 lbs!!!! :eek:   did you build this boat out of balsa? is it the current Mutt2?
110332[/snapback]

My current RC Marine SS 45 is 8-1/2 lbs full of fuel and ready to run. Epoxy Resin using E Glass Matt.

Its not terribly hard to make a light boat its just tricky getting it setup to stay on the water in traffic as Mark stated.

Last edited:
8 1/2 lbs!!!! ohmy.gif did you build this boat out of balsa? is it the current Mutt2?
It is the weight of the current Mutt 2 glass boat.

Mike

I would not consider 8 1/2 lbs a light boat. We had a boat that was 6 1/2. It was very quick but impossible to drive in traffic. My boat has 8 oz. of lead in it and is 8.5 lbs. One place alot of guys get in trouble on weight is too much paint. It adds up alot faster than you think. Weigh the empty hull before and after your next paint job. Just enough primer to fill most of the pin holes and just enough paint to cover most of the primer.

I have added weight to my hull as well which brings it up to 8-1/2 lbs RTR.

Back