Way off but still a tunnel

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atious

I went to another bike shop today to transfer a bike from there to my shop and while waiting for them to process the papers I was out behind their shop looking at their parts bikes. Under this old raggy tarp I found the neatest thing I've ever seen, a 7 foot tunnel you kneel in! It had an old 15hp outboard that was sup'ed to the gills and it was sweet. I talked to the shop owner and he said it was something a customer had dropped off a good many years ago and after many attempts of contacting him had given up and put it in the "scrap pile". I asked what he planned on doing with it and he says if I have 400 bucks he plans on sending it to my shop. Well, obviously, I bought it. I can't wait to get it home! It aint the prettiest thing right now as like I said it's been sitting for a LONG time and has developed some serious scratches and such. But I'll bet a couple hundred in paint and she'll be the sweetest!

You are a lucky dog. I would love to get my hands on something like that. I'll bet you that thing will put you at about 40-50mph on the water.

Have fun,

Jeff T.

Whats up atious i"v read many of your messages ,it sounded like you are on a budget with your toys,o well just like the rest of us you see it you have to have it. i live by a river and have seen these boats just hold on tight and have fun ;D

Actually Dale, I try to maintain a budget on my toys. I have way too many hobbies. I collect guns, swords, small antique engines, antique motorcycles, tools new and old, classic cars, and thats just a few to name. My R/C hobby extends to cars, monster trucks, boats nitro and gas, and helicoptors. I try to spread my money in such a way as to benifit as many interests as possible. Even still, my wife has had huge chunks chewed off me. ;D If it wasnt for her, I'd likely be in debtors prison.

Buying the mini tunnel was good business though. Just having it in my shop will draw customers. And if I don't care too much for actually riding it I'm sure I can more than make a profit from it's sale once it's cleaned up.

Hope you did't get the wrong idea , none of my bb's wax how you spend your money just making conversation ,waiting for winter to go away. ;D

Atious,

Now's your chance to get on of the cheesy signs to hang from the boat that reads: "Free boat rides, No fat chicks!" LOL. Mean but always funny. : :)

LOL! It would likely sink!

Dale, wasnt thinking you were doin otherwise. Actually, if I werent trying to keep my boats on a budget I would just buy them RTR. Being a pond-skipper instead of a racer, my need for speed isnt as great as many here. Then again, I love to turn and mill metal just for fun. Having watercooled everything from a Webra .40 to a Honda Odyssey 250 engine, I have yet to purchase a premade water jacket. By no means am I an expert machinist but I love to make my own stuff.

Having about 50 Homies in my possession, I enjoy trying new mods without fear of blowing them up. People around here must be dumb or something, I can find a surplus of them at just about every lawn equipment store. I get them bulk for about 2-5 dollars apiece. Most of them just need a good cleaning. Rare to get a 30cc but the 25cc is just as good to me. Now, if we could just get Mathe and Quickdraw to make a weedeater, I could get tose on the cheap too ;D ;D

Atious

Back in my early 20's we made two 9 foot round nose hydro planes the ones from the Glenn-L cataloge. They were rated for 7.5 -9.9's -15's, you could make them 8 or 9 foot, they were made of 1/4 ply with two braces across the nose and two peices of 2x6 cut in a wedge shape for the side peices. That round nose was a trip !!!!! no sponsons just a bowl shape flat bottm rear. We ran a 18 hp evinrude on one, when you shot the gas to it it would stand the nose up and slap it down on the water jumping a foot or two out of the water. It would ride on the prop in the rear and clear the water with the nose just skimming on the surface. WHAT A RUSH !!!!!

Then we got the big idea if a 18 would work a 25 hp would be even better !!! they weighted the same.

We put that 74 Evinrude 25 on there and boy howdy !!!!! You could give it 1/2 throttle on take off and it would jump 3 feet out of the water and when it hit back down it was flying !!!!! You could not run it wide open it would leave the water completely with just the prop in the water at 3/4 throttle !!!!!

We finally got enough courage to run wide open but you had to lay across the steering wheel and pull the fuel tank up to the font with you !!!! That thing would fly like a tunnel with all the boat out the water with just the prop in the water !!!! Chine walking all the way !! People would come out there houses and sit on the docks and just shake there heads !!!! It had to be a wind free day to run over 1/2 throttel . We ran a Checkmate boat with a hot 115 Evenrude and it would run 53 mph and that little boat would pull away from it leaving it in its roost !!!!! In 1976 53 was fast for a ski boat. Hope you have half as much fun as we did with our little boats !!!!!!! Sitting low on the water 50mph feels like 150 mph !!!!!

HAVE FUN !!!!!!!

What you got there is a kneel down hydro. They run a lot of these here in the Northwest. You can check them out on the APBA site. http://apba-racing.com/Categories/ You probably have a stock boat if the guy just left it there. There is a lot of money wrapped up in those mod boat motors. You will see them occasially headed down the highway with 2-3 boats on a trailer going for a weekend of racing. Did it come with a prop? They usually run about $200 to $300 for the stock boats.

Mike

Thanks for the URL MIKE. Now I know what the class 25 on the back means. Must be a modified cause the engine is way out sup'ed up with dual expansion chambers like the ones seen on the modified page of that site. The props on it, a wicked looking 3 blade.

It got delivered today. I should have picked it up myself. The dumbsh^ts dropped it and put a big crack in the right front sponson. I was some pi$$ed! Oh well, add it to the other things I gotta fix.

Cool

Now all you have to do is be ballsy enough to run in a race. Did I mention, if you go into the water, they don't stop racing. You are suppose to put up your hand so they can see you. Just think what one of those props can do to your nice helmet. I thought about getting into racing. Then the family came along. Oh well, I am no good to them dead. I will stick to the RC. A lot safer.

Mike

If you need info about the boat you could give Bill Blackwell a gingle. He builds the hulls for people. He also is a RC racer(electric and nitro). You can reach him at one of these. I think one of them is wrong but can't remember which one. Tell him I sent ya.

[email protected] [email protected]

Mike

No pics for a little while. The wife let me send it to a local boat repair shop. The sponson crack was a bit too much for me to risk my life with. It'll likely be a long while before she hits water. The engine seems to be locked tight. I need to get it apart to determine if this is from sitting or seizure. Being quite old, early 70's?, the parts may be a pain to get. I think I'm going to turn this topic over to the big boat forum. Maybe I can get some help getting engine parts located.

Back