Water pump or no water pump?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris shields

So this is my first boat and it came using a walbro pulse fed water pump to cool the motor. I have friends who have boats and none of them use a water pump. They rely on forward motion to force water through the pipe flange and head. I have a hydro coming in the mail and I'm gonna transfer my motor and electronics over to it. Should I keep the water pump or ditch it?

Unless you have a clutch and plan to idle the engine while the boat is stationary, get rid of the water pump.

Lohring Miller

I have to agree with Lohring, lose the pump. In most applications, they are unneeded extra weight and just something else to fail. A properly set up ram feed system will work as well, if not better than a pump system, without the added complexity

Unless you have a clutch and plan to idle the engine while the boat is stationary, get rid of the water pump.

Lohring Miller
You mean to tell me the transmitter has a setting besides WFO - learn something new every day
default_rolleyes.gif

Stationary is dead boat btw
default_wink.png
default_tongue.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure it does, Andy. The settings are called "engine start", "milling" and, as you put it, WFO. Anything else just confuses the issue
default_biggrin.png

If things go right for me this year, I'll make it up to WFO and challenge the front runners

Last edited by a moderator:
Back