water proofing on board radio gear

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chas terrell

What are you guys doing protect servos and receivers from water damage.I was taught to place the receiver in a small balloon then place a zip tie on the open end what other tricks can i do thanks for any help.

I'm hoping you can get this link from JRCBD to open

I tested this stuff (Trio spray) And it actually works

http://www.jrcbd.com/showthread.php?t=62829

I took one of my servos apart, coated the parts real good,, let it sit for a few hours and re-coated it.

Assemble the servo and put it in a mixing cup full of water,, ran the servo for a while,, shut everything off for a few hours, came back and retried again..

did this for 3 days in a row, leaving the servo submerged in the water the whole time

worked perfect,, and still does

It's definitely all about the radio box but there are a couple of things you can do in case water does get in.

Pack the box with paper towels to absorb the water before it gets in your electronics. Depending on your setup this can also keep your battery and receiver from bouncing around.

I've also pretreated electronics with corrosion x in the past in case they still got wet.

Brian

http://www.jrcbd.com/showthread.php?t=62829

I took one of my servos apart, coated the parts real good,, let it sit for a few hours and re-coated it.

Assemble the servo and put it in a mixing cup full of water,, ran the servo for a while,, shut everything off for a few hours, came back and retried again..

did this for 3 days in a row, leaving the servo submerged in the water the whole time

Yes,I was able to get the link thanx rick. I always bought the prebuilt fiberglass boxes so maybe that was my problem, I should start building my own i guess thanx!

http://www.jrcbd.com...ead.php?t=62829

Rick, with the test you did sounds good enough for me, have some ordered.

from ccracingengines.

Thanx

Last edited by a moderator:
I have fought leaky radio boxes forever. Maybe I just have bad issues with them... but,.. if you have a slight leak, which can come through pushrod seals,,, etc,.. the paper towels do help.. plus keep down vibration..

Guys,,, Didn't really want this to go down this road!

Those of you that know me & my equipment, know I WOULD normally have ALL of my electronics inside a DRY radio box.

But I am in the middle of a LITTLE boat project and with 3 servo's RX and battery pack, I just couldn't get everything in there, the way I wanted it..Saw this thread over on Jim's and though,, lets give it a try.

And hey,,, seems to work great.

My LITTLE boat project will have the steering, RX, Switch and batt pack in a FWD mounted radio box, with two mini servo's mounted aft of the flywheel outboard on either side with straight linkages to throttle & needle.

Well I can't speak for the rest of the country but here in FL with the High Humidity you can't keep a radio box Dry. As soon as it's sealed up you start to develop condensation inside, especially during the summer months.

I have used Corrosion X, CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor, Silicone , Dielectric Grease, for Servos and even Epoxy for the RX, All with good success. I have even went so far as to Dip\Coat my nicad battery pack in PVC Glue so I could place it outside the radio box and move it around for balance. I have seen a few people do the water test Vids with both the CRC and Corrosion X, and both working very well.

You can NEVER be To Safe with your electronics!!

I appreciate all the advice and tips. I knew I couldn't be the only one that had a issue with pushrod seal, condensation, accidentally submerging of hull( flip crash ect )or radio box tape failures.... it sux when your day comes to a premature end because of it!!! I experimented with Vaseline in my radio gear as water proofing with hit or miss success but I will be giving that trio a try this season.

This is waterproof.

Soaked it for two days underwater then did a range check with it still underwater(except the antenna of course) and it had the same range as a brand new dry receiver.

https://vimeo.com/5670298

I also believe in a dry radio box but it will not hurt to put a little extra protection in it either ...

Ummmm, fiberglass radio boxes are not necessarily all bad.....i had a 20 seducer box that leaked, and it turned out that the water was coming in around the outer edge of the top flange thru tiny pinholes in the resin....a little CA around the flange did the trick. Ive never used anything on my radio stuff...if you have problem with water getting in your RX box, try your best to find it and fix it first...anything beyond that is kind of a band aid, unless its a problem like Rick is describing.....no room!

Back