Water hole in rudder

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nws

Back when I made my own rudder,I put the pick up hole on the right, (turn fin side).

My boat would go faster if I put a little left in it. Not as fast through the turns.

Using speedmaster rudders, eith the pick up on the left side. The boat eill go faster through the turns, and slow down a little on straight way.

On the speedmaster rudder, is the motor lean down going through the turn.

Is this way it go faster through the turns?

Norris Sparks

Last edited by a moderator:
Norris,

I have had them on boths sides and seen NO difference in speed in the turns what so ever.. i did see when on the left and entering a turn it would sometimes lose water for a brief moment. other than that, i seen no difference.

chris

I always rework the inlet, and cut a little notch in the leading edge of the blade which lets water flow across the pickup better while making right turns. I never see water stop coming out when in the turns.

Though on my Rigger i dont use a blade with a pickup. I run a 1/8" no pickup blade and use a propblast.

Back when I made my own rudder,I put the pick up hole on the right, (turn fin side).My boat would go faster if I put a little left in it. Not as fast through the turns.

Using speedmaster rudders, eith the pick up on the left side. The boat eill go faster through the turns, and slow down a little on straight way.

On the speedmaster rudder, is the motor lean down going through the turn.

Is this way it go faster through the turns?

Norris Sparks
What blade size? Bore size of the water pick up? Any restriction of water or full flow? I'm thinking here that perhaps with water inlet on the right side of the blade and a little left trim the pick up is blocked some. Same with the Speedmaster blade that has the pick up on the left, when turning (right) again the pick up is blocked off some. When I ran Speedmaster blades they always seemed to have more than enough water flow from the large bore size of the water holes, often found myself bleeding some off to keep the temps where I wanted them.........

I started making for myself a bottom pick-up water rudder. I ran into the problem of losing water in the turn since we turn left. So far the bottom pick-up works great left or right.

bottom_pick_up.jpg

What about alternative pickip locations? I'm thinking of the rear of the left sponson.

A guy in my club has an older RoadRunner 67 rigger that has the water pickup on the back of the right (front) sponson. Seems to work pretty good.

Your pickup should be fine.

Is it cold in Ohio? I am thinking the heat generated in the turns is actually burning fuel that is not being burned in the starights. You could try decreasing the cooling or less nitro. Also, some pipes have too much back pressure and hold too much fuel in the straights causing a rich mixture.

I started making for myself a bottom pick-up water rudder. I ran into the problem of losing water in the turn since we turn left. So far the bottom pick-up works great left or right.
your set up looks a lot like the old school octura rudders that had a piece of brass tubing in the middle (rear) of rudder blade. i used to run one of those in a offshore class boat and it worked real well. yours should work good also. good luck,mike.

I have gone to putting a second hole of the opposite side of the pickup hole and the water can enter from either side. Works for me. You can put the second hole a bit higher than the original and flair it into the tube that runs to the top of the rudder or just drill the second hole right thru the rudder at the original pickup slot. it all works. I usually don't have trouble with the pickup on either side, but had a twin rudder mono last year that for some reason did not like the pickup on a certain side. Thru the frustration I drilled thru the side of the rudder at the pickup inlet so water could enter from either side and the problem went away. I have since done this to my hydros.

I have gone to putting a second hole of the opposite side of the pickup hole and the water can enter from either side. Works for me. You can put the second hole a bit higher than the original and flair it into the tube that runs to the top of the rudder or just drill the second hole right thru the rudder at the original pickup slot. it all works. I usually don't have trouble with the pickup on either side, but had a twin rudder mono last year that for some reason did not like the pickup on a certain side. Thru the frustration I drilled thru the side of the rudder at the pickup inlet so water could enter from either side and the problem went away. I have since done this to my hydros.

Been doin' just that for a long, long time... :p

Back