VS1 HELP

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig woodley

Hello all,

I have a VS1 running a proboat outboard with a 1900kv motor, I have bought a new nanotech 5000, 65-130 5S and was using a turnigy 180amp ESC.

I say was because today was my first outing with the new 5S. I ran a couple of slow passes and then did two full throttle burst of about 5-8 seconds max.

On the second pass the boat just died at full speed, nose dived into the water and came up upside down, no big deal right? except now it is upside down and a ******** of smoke is coming out of it.

So I did what any dedicated person would do, stripped off to my jocks and in I went to save her.

The speed control was completely ******, I mean melted beyond belief, it had completely melted and nearly caught on fire.

I had good water flow and run a seperate line for the ESC, so my guess is this ESC just isn't good enough?

Any advice would be great.

If you run a VS1, what is your setup?

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, first thing I would recommend is NEVER swim out to a dead boat!!! There have been numerous cases where people have attempted this and drowned.

This is one of the major safety topics in NAMBA (North American Model Boating Association) and is highly discouraged as well.

As for the VS1, I ran one for a couple years but powered by an OS outboard and the condition of it diving can only be the result of the sudden stop of the prop. Speed control was not rated high enough for the current drain.

To retrieve a dead boat your best to have a fishing reel with a tennis ball attached to the end of the line and go fishing.....

We need to know a little more info. Where you using the Proboat motor? What prop were you using? What was your timing set at? Have you run the boat sucessfully on 4S prior to going to 5S?? The T180 is a good controller but I've only run it on 4S. That being said some people have had problems when using the BEC. I always used a separate reciever battery. Also the controller does not like getting wet. If you try to use it after getting spashed, it will blow and make an ugly mess out of your boat (which I'm sure you can confirm).

As for the VS-1, Most that run this boat use the Aquacraft 2000kv UL1 motor on 4S with either the UL1 controller or a aftermarket controller of about 120 amps. Props people use range from a 42x55 to a 445. To tell you the truth, the hull cannot handle much more power than the UL1 set up.The hull was designed for stock nitro motors and anything more and the boat will have a tendency to blow over in anything other than the slightes breeze.

Hitting something in the water can also cause a tunnel boat to submarine.

Was the radio box sealed up good? I run a couple T180 esc's and they're tough and can handle alot, but do not like to get wet.

5 posts.. 5S.. and he is swimming....good god..

We are here to help..

DONT SWIM AFTER A DEAD BOAT.. OK I said that and WE WANT YOU SAFE so dont get mad at us for yellen at ya!

5S.. in a VS-1... show me in the manual where is says 5S is a good idea in the VS-1.

Grim

Which manual are you referring to Grim?? I don't recall seeing any FE recommendations in the VS1 manual.

Yes I was using the probaot 1900KV motor and a ballanced and sharpened M445 prop, timming was auto setup, I run a seperate BEC battery, I have run this setup on 4S but puffed the lipo, so i thought a 65-130C lipo and why not go to 5S, but maybe 5S was the mistake and I should stick to 4S and if I want more speed do the 2000KV UL1 motor.

I don't know about you guys and where you are from but over here in Australia swimming is something you are tought from birth because we mostly all live near the beach so a 10 meter swim in a pond was not too much trouble or danger but thanks for your concern.

Can someone please tell me exactly what setup is in their VS1 and how long the continuous run times are.

Thanks

I don't know about you guys and where you are from but over here in Australia swimming is something you are tought from birth because we mostly all live near the beach so a 10 meter swim in a pond was not too much trouble or danger but thanks for your concern.
Craig,

I run a PS295 (very similar to a VS1), Aquacraft UL-1 motor, T120 ESC, 4S 5000mAh 45C, ABC42x55 prop and run flat out for about 2minutes 20 seconds max - this boat only gets used in races, so it's flat out most, if not the whole time.

A guy drowned in Werrington lake in Sydney swimming after an r/c boat. He was young, fit and was able to swim. I won't lie - I've done it before, but I wouldn't even think of doing it again.

Tim

Definitely would not recommend swimming for a boat Craig.

No body wants to hear about a tragedy.

I am running a Cobra with the same set up as Tim.

Gday Craig , I run same set up as tim aswell , & also in cobra , I also tried 5s & leopard, 4074 , I had nothing but headaches m8 & cost myself plenty $

once I got cg & set up spot on both boats are overall faster & trouble free

So you're saying we shoudnt convert the VS1 or the TS3 for that matter into FE's??

Nope.. not at all..

What im suggesting is if you are going to go in to FE with a 15 year old design nitro boat... tossing in random FE goods into this boat is a s t r e t c h!

For me.. on a personal note. I dont feel the VS1 is "capable" as an FE boat as others. Its just not designed for that much power. Lets face it 15 years ago we did not have this kind of power.

Grim

Back