Villian Owners

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTR

OK Guys

My question is for all those Villian owners - what height are you running your propshaft centrelines above the sponson edge and with what prop. All opinions/experience welcomed.

Thanks

GTR

yea .150" high for me with 1440 cut cup..

The height will have a lot to do with what prop you are running.

If you are running a non-piped engine then a larger prop is good.. I also like the X-442.

If you are running a mod motor then 1440, X-440, and X-640 cut down to 38mm is good. If you run too small a Dia. prop the boat will not handle well either.. please no less then 38mm…

Remember.. No more then .5deg neg. trim, bad things can happen if you run more. The Villain S1 is a lightweight boat that requires a lot of finesse to drive. If you put on a bunch of power you can make a mess of things in a hurry. It can be done but its not recommended.

My Villain S1 is set up as such.

CG at 32%

.5neg trim

1440 prop

.150 height (center of holes to sponson bottoms)

K+B water cooled motor (IMPBA legal)

Grimacer.com motor mount.. (you do not want the motor to far back, other longer motor mounts can have ill handling effects on the boat).. not a huge deal just a FYI.

3lbs 14oz RTR.

47 to 48 mph when she is ringing a bell.. most heat racing speeds the same.

Grims S1 Driving Tips: For what its worth to anybody..

Never, Never try to drift the Villain S1 wide without lifting on the power.. you WILL row for the boat.. People ask me all the time why cant they just run wide open all the time..

Would you do this with your car full of friends? Would/does Michael Schumacher not lift ever? If you play your cards right you can be much faster during a race and more alert of traffic, position on the course and speed if you lift entering the corner and accelerate out.

Blue knuckle driving is a dangerous thing.. Loss of concentration, lack of awareness are just a few things that come to mind.. You can also become hypnotized of sorts and on the last few laps have to deal with something unexpected. Wind gust, loose buoy, or a blow off right in front of you.

Tunnel boat Hypnosis.. :blink: is that Tunnel Vision? :lol:

ROCK ON :D

Grim

I know I have seen it in a recent thread but can't seem to find it now. What about placement of the Stumble Blocks? I made a set of blocks for the villain, they are 6" long with a gradual radius. Where is the best placement for the back of the stumble block? Thanks!

Brent

ZR

tell me more about this gradual radius. This can be a bad thing if not done right.

The blocks that the boat come with are about the right height and lenght. They also have an idea amount of flat.

O yea..back of block at 54 to 56%

Grim

Why doesn't the Villian turn at full throttle? I really want to know why. All the boats that I currently run will turn without "lifting". Of course you still have to use your head and drive according to water conditions.

Bob Kensill

Bob, I can turn mine at full throttle. all in the setup.......and of course great water conditions...

~James

I think the villain is very similar to all other boats Ive driven, just depends on each situation. Its got a nice attitude all the way around the course IMO.

im sure mike will chime in....

~James

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked the question because of what Mike said above and my personal observations. The Villian seems to "float" when you get it going fast,and needs a power reduction to get it to settle for the turns.

That's what makes the boat so fast.. It literally flies down the straights. Without the benefit of power trim, you need to blip the throttle to settle it down for the corners. If you've seen Mike run his, you will notice the corners aren't that much slower than the straights but the boat does require that setup time before the corner.

I would think most tunnels need to be driven this way.

Just my observation,

Charley

Under normal racing conditions,I do not have to let off in the turns to turn my Nova or my Leecraft tunnels. I set the boats up to run fairly flat,but up out of the water. At the 21 Shoot out last year,I pushed Mike going in to the corner and his boat drifted out. I crossed his wake and passed him on the inside. I don't think it is Mike's driving style,I just think the boat has to slow down too much to turn.

I guess I got off the topic,but I would like to know what engine heights are working on the Villians too.

:D Mike and I have talked bout this fer two years now, I picked up on the trick to drive one watch'n a vid of Mike doin hot laps.

The hull riggs LITE just under 4 lbs and I like to run one loose, it takes a finesse to drive a Villain at its limits, but it boils down to this:

Blip on the entrance, throttle up at apex, and exit aired out and on the pipe,

I'll let Mike comment further,

Gene ;)

HEY BOB , STUMBLE BLOCKD /DOORSTOPS ? AS FAR AS I AM COCERNED ALL THEY ARE GOOD FOR IS TO SLOW A GOOD BOAT DOWN AND THEY MAKE EXCELANT FIRE WOOD . HEY GUYS , YOU CAN SET UP A BOAT TO TURN WITHOUT THEM

I don't think Mike drove the Villian at the 21 shootout last year.. I believe he was running a proto -Nemisis.

Charley

hey, guys! kinda tunnel novice here, got my villian doin around 40, piped sskb, x640 3/16 from sponson bottom 0 angle to my knowlege..... anyway, mine runs super flat on the water, will take the turns full throttle, i dont blip nothin, course, the thing will fly off if im stupid goin all out into the wind, its a challenge to drive, it takes full attention to the hull to recognize the imminent airing out!! dont know, i got a good hunk of lead in mine, too, hence, it will submarine in rough water, took me most of a season to tweak the weighting etc, to get it to the point i love it, i dont know, i built mine exactly to mikes c/g, propping, etc instructions and, if i can do it anyone can!!! ive watched mike race a few times, and, if you are lucky enough for him to slide on the bouys, youd better write the date down, cuz i think he has the course imprinted in his brain! (smiley here....) whatever, test, test, test, for me anyway, each hull will be a little different, so, have at it, built my second this winter, she touches water sunday!!! later mike

Like I said, My Villain will also go around the oval without blipping the throttle..... Just depends on the setup.

Maybe Mike likes to drive it that way? works for him........

~James

Villian Owners,

We are testing some new 1440's that will be fast on Mike's boat,driving

it will be up to you :lol: . I should have some ready this next week after the

time trials in Flint,MI this weekend. We are even gonna try one out for

top speed and maybe even a two lap oval if we get time.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Props-4-U

Racers,

There is Topfuel, Gener too, Bob K .. Mikey L the Big C Howarth and the rest.. are here on I.. waterssssss... :D

Your right i have a very different driving style and good or bad it does make it fun. I can pin the boat more but its not as much fun to drive and it slow it down a little and besides after years of racing RC cars, Nitro, electric, off road carpet and or asphalt i like to "drive" the boat.. not just guide it around and wait for the race to end.

One thing for sure. A 3lb 12oz tunnel at 47mph is a challenge to set up anyway. But when set up right it makes it hard to beat them out of the corner.

There are a lot of guys that have drove my boat and can not keep in on the water. I have drove others and am glad that i do not race there setups.

One of my goals is to get my designs to become just a tad more stable "user friendly if you will". With the new Nemesis we have taken this into account. We have identified why this happens but are still working on a way to sneak up on it. I dont want to "FIX" it (its not broken) i just want to understand it better.

Its all about the setup regarding the design.. ;)

One resin i like having Gary Loy running my boats is that he does not set them up like me.. His boats "Kits or protos" are HARD TO BEAT" Is it the boats? I would like to think so but its likely his setup and driving that are winning races.

NA..its got to be the boats...Hehehhe :lol:

No wrong way to set them up.. if its fun its right.. ;)

Grim :D

Back