Villain Down Under

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kris Flynn

Hey All

Kit number 57 has arrived down under! I will have to second what all have said about this kit looking great! It should be a blast to build and i cant wait to get it underway!

I will keep you all posted on how it is going, and also what it looks like in the end :)

Kris

Kris,

I have alot of advice on building it. I was hoping to get an article on IW out all about it. I will see what I can do and send you what article I have finished in building it. Give me a few days.

You're gonna like it, bro.

Kris

Congrats on your new arival. I hope you enjoy building and racing it as much as we do.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Grimracer

Thanks, I will treat it like it is my Child ;)

Jeff, that would be great, i can wait (Rhyme ;) ) but you know that you should have had it done a couple of days ago...ssshhhheeeessshhh talk about slack haha

And yep, i think i will be asking you a few questions in the mean time (Especially you Gene and Grim about the V2 mods :p )

Kris

Yeah, you're right, it sure has taken me a long time.

The article would have been out some time ago, but I wanted to end it with a bang with pics of the finished product.

But before you start your kit, anyways, you should go get yourself some "1 2 3 blocks" from Enco tools. If there are any second had stores, or pawn shops, or "flea markets" or places where you can find used tools, you can always check there first. You are going to need some aluminum channel too. You can use aluminum angle, but channel is better. A little more than a meter in length. And clothespins...the type that have a coiled spring that shuts them....alright, well, I help you out some more next time....keep in touch.

I was thinking about them blocks...what are they made from and what are the dimentions of each? (maybe i can machine some up at work?) because i havnt seen any around here...

Went to a couple of Home debot sotores and couldnt find ANYTHING that could be used as an angle plate or Uchannle :( i will have to check out the local steel place...

Oh and that article would be much appreciated when you finish with it..take your time :) (but not too mcuh, cause i want to start it soon 8))

Thanks

Kris

Kris, whenever I need any aluminium for 'little' projects, I just go on down to the local metal shop. Most of the time they give you perfectly good stuff from their "scrap" bins which is ideal for our use. Most of the time I walk out with way more than I went for and for only a few bucks (cheap as chips!). Most metal shops in Oz (and I say MOST!) should have what you're looking for

Johno ;D

Yeah my Dad reminded me of one called K&K Steel which i totally forgot about...i went in and ordered some 50mm X 50mm X 1M at 3mm material thickness because it will be fairly ridgid, i hope...it had better be because i will be paying about $16AUD for 1M of it!

Johno what sort of boats do you run?

Kris

Kris, I run riggers mainly, my newest is one of Ozzy'z with a CMB 90 in it (runs real sweet, nice boat ;D). But I also run cats and monos (GAS), I used to run Tunnels a few moons ago now, my first was a hotshot sprint 3.5 which served me well, but I'm going away from Tunnels and monos for the moment, as I've got too many other R/C interests apart from boats (helis and planes : :) ), and I'm running out of room to store stuff and time to use them all. :'( (I'd be right if the wife would let me keep all the models inside and let me stop working so I can play with them all ;D)

Johno

Sounds good, although you should get rid of all those planes and run Tunnels instead, cause we need to get them back up and running in Oz, hey GT ;)

Kris

Heya All,

Got a question about smething...which CA glue is more important in building the Villain? the medium or the thin? and what determines which is used where?

BTW i had a go at making some 123 blocks at work (only from Aluminium though) and boy they are hard to get right...spent two and a bit days at work just trying to get the machine set perfect for the squareness. But i had some success this afternoon just before knock off when i got one pretty much spot on, all sides square, and checked against a master square...

Thanks

Kris

They just keep everything square when your building the radio box and transom supports on a Villain:

Kris, I like "Zap A Gap" medium CA

The funny thing is that while i was making them up, i earned over 3 times as much as the cost of buying the real ones lol

I think it will be a good investment anyway, because mine will get damaged real easy considering they are only Aluminium.

Ahhh be quiet JT us Aussies arent as QUICK as you Yanks ;) if you know what i am talking about, we like to do this proper and right the first time around! :p

Medium CA it is and some 30Min Epoxy for everything else...will get started on building it tomorrow night hopefully :)

Thanks

Kris

OK i have my Aluminium U frame (50mm X 50mm X 1100mm) but does it matter if it isnt perfectly flat? it seems like it has a slight twist in it...maybe bee dicks in it but...

Also Grim do you know what might be happening with what i posted in the 'Yo Tim D' thread?

Kris

Kris,

The aluminum angle for building the sponsons should be as true as possible. I found my piece at the local hardware store - think I paid something like $5.00 for it. If the "tweek" is only a 1/16" of an inch(is that a couple of mm?) I don't think there's much of a problem. Speaking of M&Ms, my favorite is the peanut coated ones :D .

Jerry D.

Back