Video of engine break in

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn Quarles

Supporting Member
Friends, I get asked about a lot about how I break in my motors. It is kinda a long process of some running on the bench and then running on the water being careful to keep plenty of fuel (lubrication) going through it and at the same time making sure it gets up to proper temp (too cold is BAD!)

Since I started breaking in one of the new Hotrod .12 motors in my new boat this morning I took a couple of short videos showing how I do it.

The first video is of the first run. You will notice the carb is wide open the whole time...it has to be just to keep the motor running because it is CRAZY rich. You will see the fuel and oil shooting out of the pipe. You will also see that the RPMs stay very reasonable (not high rpm at all) and the temp stays cool enough that I can keep touching the head without getting burnt.

The second video shown the 4th tank of fuel. It has the same needle setting (almost all the way out), but now I am starting to put a little more heat in the motor by squeezing the pipe pressure line letting the RPM and heat come up for a few seconds and then releasing the pressure line letting it go rich/cool again.

I will do this for another couple of tanks (about 20 or 25 oz of fuel total) and then go to the lake.

Thanks or the video. What kind of temp do you think your head was
Tony, I think it is mid to upper 100's. These .12's like to run pretty hot, so when it is out on the water i will be shooting for closer to 200. I watched Nova break in a .21 car motor for a factory driver and they were running it at 143 degrees C (that is close to 300 degrees F!) for 20 minute intervals.

GQ

Thanks Glenn, I broke in my NR .21 5 port this spring the same way in my garage, the nitro-oil smell still lingers, I love it, my wife not so much......

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night I got my NR Hybrid installed. I opened up then remote needle about 2 turns. I blew a bunch of fuel through the motor then took off the fuel line and blew it out. Reattached the fuel line. The motor fired on the first hit. I had mine about 1/2 open throttle. It ran the full take at a slightly high idle. I was able to blip the throttle to add rmp and add heat then let off to cool a bit. It ran the whole tank on the first try. I was impressed. No issues getting the thing to start, no burned plug. Tons of fuel and oil from the pipe I am very pleased. I have never had an easier time starting and engine for the first time. Hats off to Glenn and NR

Hi Glenn, I suppose the question I then have is once you head to the lake do you keep the same needle setting for the first run, or do you have to go a little leaner? I'm due to run my 7 Port in this week, and was planning on doing it all at the lake, but seeing these dry runs will definitely make the job easier...although I'm not sure the neighbours will agree too much :p

Hi Glenn, I suppose the question I then have is once you head to the lake do you keep the same needle setting for the first run, or do you have to go a little leaner? I'm due to run my 7 Port in this week, and was planning on doing it all at the lake, but seeing these dry runs will definitely make the job easier...although I'm not sure the neighbours will agree too much :p
Good question Martin, you will want to go a little leaner before the first run on the water.

GQ

One thing I find that never really gets a mention with breaking in marine engines is to make sure you piston is at BDC while cooling between runs, I personally do this after every run but it's especially important during break in :)

Hi

It's time to start running in my new OS Speed, have heard that a new motor should be preheated to loosen the fit a little before

a first run.

Comments would be appreciated

Tony

HiIt's time to start running in my new OS Speed, have heard that a new motor should be preheated to loosen the fit a little beforea first run. Comments would be appreciated Tony
Tony, yes some guys use a heat gun to preheat the top of the motor before starting to loosen it up a bit before spinning it over with the starter. I have never tried it myself but hear it works good.

GQ

Tony, pre heating will help with the stress of the pinch.

I do it on the cars and boats for the first 4 or 5 tanks when the engines are cold.

Keep us posted on the OS Speed as I am looking to run one myself this year.

thanks

jack

Started my keep dd today for first time ,,I forgot just how great these novas are...I only put three tanks thru so far dripping wet full throttle medium revs ,,didn't miss a beat will continue run in tomorrow,,,using 60% with spp carbon rs21 pipe..

David

Ask Question How much percent of nitro will start use for run break in 5 time tank 10oz ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back