Using magnets in place of screws or cowl lock., Has any used magnets in place of screws or cowl lock

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raytam

Has anyone used magnets in place of screws or cowl lock in nitro boat to secure their cowl in place? Will the vibration caused by the nitro engine overpower the magnets force? I'm just wondering if anyone has used it. I see the UL1 sport hydro uses it, but thats electric.

Thanks for your opinions and input

Ron G

I have fairly small (3/8" diameter) rare earth magnets on my modified Miss Vegas and my .21 powered Mean Machine. They work great and the cowls have never blown off. I use a small Dzus fastener on the cowls of my .18 FireFighter riggers with excellent results.

Use the search feature-

cowl securing or

magnets- its been recently discussed a few times. I did my mono cowl that way and it works great.

here is a source- http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/magnets.htm

I would post the link to the thread , but you have to weed through the 3 R's messing with me the whole thread-lol

Andy

Has anyone used magnets in place of screws or cowl lock in nitro boat to secure their cowl in place? Will the vibration caused by the nitro engine overpower the magnets force? I'm just wondering if anyone has used it. I see the UL1 sport hydro uses it, but thats electric.
Thanks for your opinions and input

Ron G
I watched a visitor at our club pond with a herzog huricane that had the hatch held on with small probably 3/8 round magnets....the hatch staid put for some 60 plus mph runs and I saw it flip once and smack a bouy and go flying once and the magnets held each time...so I am sold on them and will use them on the next project with a hatch....

I use the neodymium magnets and really like them. K&J Magnetics is the best place I found with great prices and they have the neo magnets already mounted in threaded stud holders-

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=112

I use the MM-C-10 for my rigger cowls and the MM-C-12 on the scale cowlings. I actually bought some of the MM-C-16s also but they were a little too strong.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I found rare earth mags at Ace hardware. I do like the thought of those screw in holder jobbies.

joe

We used Rare Earth Magnets on a RC Airplanes. and if they can hold up to 3D on a big old gas air plane im sure they will hold up for a gas boat... i would like to use a set of them on my miss Vegas.

I use the neodymium magnets and really like them. K&J Magnetics is the best place I found with great prices and they have the neo magnets already mounted in threaded stud holders-http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=112

I use the MM-C-10 for my rigger cowls and the MM-C-12 on the scale cowlings. I actually bought some of the MM-C-16s also but they were a little too strong.

:)
hi don, could you possibly put up a pic or two of how you mounted these magnets on boat and cowl? thanks,mike.

Back