UPDATE!! NEED ADVICE ON ENGINE PLACEMENT.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ek kustomz

I am looking for a place to buy the appropriate materials to build a hull. I have been working on some plans for quite some time now and would like to put the 1st one together. I eventually plan on the final product being 100% carbon fiber but I would like to build the first few from wood. ( its cheaper :p ) Also anyones Ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated, and I will keep you guys posted on the progress. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

ZAch

Ok you guys have helped me find materials Thanks a bunch. I need some advice on engine placement. I though I had seen a ratio for can anyone help?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I like for LONE STAR for wood. They're about 1/2 the price of my local hobby shops, and quick to ship. I just recently ordered from them for the first time, and I'm very happy. Good prices on McCoy plugs, too. :)

Duane

Zach;

Incase you need it, here's the link http://www.lonestar-models.com/cgi-local/Order.pl.cgi

What you will be looking for is the plywood, do not use the lite ply

it has kinda a dust bound filler, and really no strength

The more plys, the stronger if is.

You will also need basswood triangles for corner supports

LoneStar will carry almost everything you will need to build the hull

Good luck

Rick

what kind of epoxie do you guys reccomend?
SLOW CURE.... The 30 minute or more stuff. Stay away from the 5, 10 or 15 minute epoxy. The slow cure epoxy seems more waterproof, and has enough time to soak into the wood some, before it starts curing.

SLOW CURE.... The 30 minute or more stuff. Stay away from the 5, 10 or 15 minute epoxy. The slow cure epoxy seems more waterproof, and has enough time to soak into the wood some, before it starts curing.
Thanks I'm glad I waited to complete my order last night. So i need to use that on all the seam assy. as well?

BTW thanks for the link to LONE STAR very well priced.

Thanks Alot Guys,

Zach Vought

I use West system , but system 3 or MAS will do . Not the local hobby shop stuff . JMO

Ed
DONT USE THE LOCAL HOBBY SHOP STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tends to be alot mroe inconsistent, and have alot more chance of the seams splitting on the entire boat, after months of hard work........ask me, I know............

Heres what I use to build mine.

Tub sides are 1/4" 5ply birch. (you can use two sheets of 1/8 laminated together with sections cut out of the inside sheet where strength is not needed for a "lite application")

Top and bottom tub decking are 1/16" 3ply birch

Sponsons have 1/16" inside skin and top and 1/32" everywhere else. If you used "blue foam" for sponsons, put some balsa blocks in there where the booms stubs will be glued. A little heavier but will hold up to bouy hits MUCH better than a ball of glue in the foam. Make sure the block is glued directly to the inside piece and the top skin of the sponson.

Transom is to plys of 1/4" 1 glued from between the tub sides (inside to inside) and the other glued across the back (outside to outside). This gives an L shaped glue joint that is strong like a dado joint. I also drill holes and glue 1/8" dowell rods in there as well (3 per side).

You can put the entirehull together with CA then reinforce the high stress spots with epoxy. This eliminated haveing to hold the pieces in place while the 30 minute dries.

Don't use CA on any foam besides Kleggcell or dyvinicell (sp?) it will melt white, blue or pink foam.

I epoxy seal the engine compartment, fuel tank compartment and the "bait box" near the transom. The radio inside gets polyurethane as water should be the only thing that gets in there (hopefully not but it happens) not fuel or spent oil.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. I will be ordering wood this week so I sould have a tub built soon. I will post pics. Any Ideas on front sponson placement?

updated need advice on CG
Put the engine in the tub so that the carb is about an inch behind the rear boom tube. Moving the engine forward or back depends on where the ride point is on the front sponsons. A good relationship is the center of the engine in line with where the sponsons touch the water. The cg can then be changed using pipe, servos, battery, hardware. Note that things further away from the cg have the most effect on changing the cg. The engine is usually just a tad in front of the cg, so moving it doesn't make a huge difference compared the the weight of the pipe or transom hardware.

Back