U-12 Griffon Bud drive line

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harvknox

I'm building a 79 1/8 scale Griffon Bud wood hull from a ML Boatworks kit(MHN 8012, Newton #132). I'm at the point of making a decision on the drive line location. The model has the tub centerline offset 1 1/4" to the right of the boat centerline, which is opposite the real boat because of our running clockwise instead of anti clockwise. The real boat has the prop on the boat centerline and the engine on the tub centerline.

The 64 dollar question to all who have built this hull or have experience with similar hulls is does the boat perform better with a right offset prop or a boat centerline prop? The rudder will be on the right.

Harvey

I would get the prop near to the center. Use the Speedmaster mount and you can center the motor too with more spacers on one side. You should get the cowl first to be sure the motor fit under the cowl.

Hi Harvey,

I about to build the same kit. Have you made any progress or have any photos you can post?

John

Sponsons on your kits may vary on the outside sponson as I changed it to a three angle sponson on the outside, but the rest is pretty much the same:

DSCF6005.jpg

DSCF6010.jpg

DSCF6012.jpg

DSCF6021.jpg

DSCF6023.jpg

DSCF6014.jpg

John, at this time The frame is glued up and epoxy coated. I'm ready to start drilling holes and placing hardware. My first priority now is finishing a wood 68 Bud hull to work with my existing dummy engine and Phil Thomas cowl, then I'll be back on the Griffon Bud.

In addition to what Mike posted the current model has toy tabs which make assembly much easier and more accurate. I suggest that you get your cowl before you start building to insure that everything fits together. A set of newton drawings can also be a big help. Feel free to contact me about anything on the boat. I presume Mike's photos were OK. If you need some special photos ,let me know. I don't how to post photos on IW, but I can e mail them to you.

Harvey

Thanks Harvey.

Where abouts are you going to put the fuel tank and radio Box. I like to remove my tanks for cleaning or if there is a problem.

John

Also, where does the engine go? is it centre line of the engine with the trailing edge of the front sponsons?

Regards,

John

John, I'm planning on the fuel tank in front of the engine. It will be a custom built tank from Walt Barney. The radio box will be long and narrow similar that furnished by Phil Thomas for his boats, and installed as close behind the engine as possible and on the right side of the tub. I am offsetting the engine to the left as Phil Thomas has suggested, which should leave plenty of room on the right of the pipe for the radio box. Though you will want to install the engine forward for balance, you will be limited by a frame member at the rear of the sponson and your cowl dimensions. The frame member at the sponson and the rear of the cockpit are about one above the other which will require at least the cylinder portion of the engine to be behind the sponson. This frame member should not be removed in my opinion.

Though Mike's photos are not current the frame cross member shows in the pic.

Harvey

Back