U-11 Miss Budweiser Turbine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dasboatman

I just came across some pics of a turbine Budweiser taken in a Miami hangar, and am trying to identify the Master Hull Roster number. I'm thinking it's the T-1 MHR 8407 in 1987 livery. There is no driver's name on cockpit, U-11 appears on top of horizontal wing, the leading edge of the wing is tapered. CHEERS !!! Bob

Hey Phil,

And the bottom of this 'Beasty' is one of the most unusual I've ever seen - pic attached.I'm not a big name in Buds - T-1 or display boat is my best guess. CHEERS !!! Bob

Hey Phil,

And the bottom of this 'Beasty' is one of the most unusual I've ever seen - pic attached.I'm not a big name in Buds - T-1 or display boat is my best guess. CHEERS !!! Bob
I have a Newton plan that shows that transom design, I will have to look for it and see what number it is.

I'm pretty sure that was the first turbine bud, Didnt this one and the bubble bud tour together before Bud was strickly turbine? I have a couple of pins with that boat on them.

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys, I wouldn't want to disappoint you :lol:

I didn't know who built it but yes, it's a display hulk. There are five dead give-aways:

1) If you look through the canopy, the seat back is a flat board and has no conturing to hold a driver. Also, the canopy top should have been painted with the rest of the boat

2) The T-1 had either a four or five piece sponson bottom, those pictured are two sided like the 82 Atlas and 80 Pak Turbine

3) The turbine exhaust is too small where it exits the back of the cowl and expands too quickly to full diameter

4) The T-1 never ran with a "gilled" cowling, as far as I know anyway. Also, the intake on top has a solid black painted panel blocking it, T-1 never had that either

5) The driveline configuration was totally wrong. The boat doesn't have a strut, it has a box for the shaft to go through at the back of the hull as well as a misshaped exit through the hull bottom. If I remember right, the strut was gold anodized so a white box is in no way correct

While not a dead giveaway, the skid fin being so lite would alert those paying attension, Good call on that one Duck

Last edited by a moderator:
That is the 86 turbine hull. I do believe there were two versions, differnt wings and a little differnt paint scheme on the rear part of the cowling. I have the plans, and I am actually doing the frame kit for it right now. David Newton also gave me the phone # to one of his club members that should have a cowling mold for it. I have not call the guy yet tho to confirm, but he does race one! Mike

Also, there are pics of it in the water on nwspeedshots or newton marine blogspot. If I was not in the sickbed typing from my phone I would give you links. The mhr # is on the newton site under 86 bud plans. Mike

NO, there wasn't two of those hulls. It was found during testing that the "diamond" wing was too heavy so a conventional wing was fitted before the season. It could very well be the diamond wing off of T-1 used on this display hull. I believe the 8501 ran the diamond wing for part of the season, another question for Hgatchens. Also, a second "rear intake" cowl was used at San Diego to prevent any salt water from entering the engine, otherwise the paint job stayed consistant. The Bud team was running T-1 and the 8501 "Bubble Bud" in 1986. They had no need or desire to drag a third competition boat across the country for the whole season. In fact, by the end of the 86 season, Bernie and the team had pretty much given up on the bigger heavier Griffon boat. I would recommend asking Hgatchens on whether the Bubble Bud even finished the season as I'm not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
NO, there wasn't two of those hulls. It was found during testing that the "diamond" wing was too heavy so a conventional wing was fitted before the season. It could very well be the diamond wing off of T-1 used on this display hull. I believe the 8501 ran the diamond wing for part of the season, another question for Hgatchens. Also, a second "rear intake" cowl was used at San Diego to prevent any salt water from entering the engine, otherwise the paint job stayed consistant. The Bud team was running T-1 and the 8501 "Bubble Bud" in 1986. They had no need or desire to drag a third competition boat across the country for the whole season. In fact, by the end of the 86 season, Bernie and the team had pretty much given up on the bigger heavier Griffon boat. I would recommend asking Hgatchens on whether the Bubble Bud even finished the season as I'm not sure.
One thing we all know, a display<bastardized boat with a pic sure changes things up.....THIS BUDS FOR YOU

That display boat is nicer than some of the low budget teams real race boats..... :lol:

"One thing we all know, a display<bastardized boat with a pic sure changes things up.....THIS BUDS FOR YOU"

Hey Mikey,

I was going through some old pics Gus had taken and came across ten of this "beasty" in a Miami hangar. Good for the old grey matter to excercise it every once in a while. A lot of these hulls made significant changes race to race, many during a single race - 8255 U-40 Miss Houston paint job comes to mind.

And all I was trying to find were some pics of the T-1 Bud to add to my files. Up until HJ said it evolved from the 8407 Miller Lite All-Star - - I had never given it much thought - not a big Bud fan. Looks like I'll be replaying some old ESPN 2 race coverage from the old days to find some T-1 stuff.

I did find a pic of the tapered leading edge horizontal wing on the Bubble Bud. Guess I'll save the 10 pics of the Hodge Podge hull for future mind teasers. CHEERS !!! Bob

"That display boat is nicer than some of the low budget teams real race boats..... :lol: "

Amen to that Brother !!! And there isn't even any 200mph tape holding it together !!! Bernie did like his stuff to look nice - - even the Hangar Queens.

Here's a thing of beauty for you. What lines, what style. MHR 6466 Miss Liberty. CHEERS !!! Bob

"That display boat is nicer than some of the low budget teams real race boats..... :lol: "

Amen to that Brother !!! And there isn't even any 200mph tape holding it together !!! Bernie did like his stuff to look nice - - even the Hangar Queens.

Here's a thing of beauty for you. What lines, what style. MHR 6466 Miss Liberty. CHEERS !!! Bob
Bob,

If you have the old espn video from 86, with commercials, you will see that hull running ( #8407 Miller Lite originally) in them, with that cowl and wing too, it must of been the original Bud design (Ron Brown) for testing, by the time the regular season started, the more common cowl and wing was seen.

Back