twinn mania

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the best way to get consistant needle settings on a twin?

I know with planes, you start one engine and tweak it to max power, then shut it down and do the other engine (instead of synching RPM as alot of people think). Then start both without changing the needle.

Of course with planes, you have the advantage of optical tachs to help with tuning.

PJ, I've watched Andy Brown tune several twins before. Hes been doing it so long he just uses his "Ear Dyno". He fires one up and adjust the needle with it idling and then fires the other up and adjust the needle while idling. after the idling adjustments, he blips the throttle a few times and adjust some more. then throws it in the water and it sets world records.....

He's that good.

I Ive seen him take as long as 2 minutes with the boat on the stand to adjust the needles and then throw it in the water. where most guys get it fired up and toss it in imediatly, Dont know if Hes trying to get some heat in the engine first, or if it just take that long to get the "perfect" needle .....Or both.

Have you ever Seen / heard a big twin twin running? or better yet five of them at a time? NOTHING else like it.

~ James

Been hearing that the flowmeter set up is not as accurate as once thought. What I've been told is the same thing as James is saying, doing it by ear. Had a flow meter once on a twin avenger spider 3 years ago. ran fairly well with the flow. Well see once this project is finished. By the way. Does anyone run the A/S Twin Cobras ? How do they match up to the newer twinns out here?

Flowing motors can be a trap especially if you assume both engines will pull fuel identically. Certainly tuning one engine and getting the flow right for that engine does work, but I dont think the flow for both engines in a twin will always be identical.

EMS Racing Has pit time ended yet?

Mike, youve always got the coolest stuff....... ;D that looks like fun.

~ James

You can use the flowmeter - but as a reference. Other things to look at are the condition of the plugs.

Boaters,

With a twin the best tuning item is a digital

thermometer.It will read the engine temps.

when you come in.The lean one will tend to

be on the hot side.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

PROPS-4-U :D

Hey, nice site ozzie. Does anyone have any info on hummingbird hydros? Are they making a twinn. Also Any news or comments on the Avenger Spider Cobras?

just a thought, has anyone ever tried a single remote needle for twins? or even a single carb with 2 venturis....the only twin at my club was a very late arrival this season and never got the chance to get all the bugs tweaked out.

Joe

Steve Gruber's twin after a little re-modelling courtesy of turn bouy two at the recent Vic Champs.... : :)

Steve had it ready to go again later in the day.

Nitrocrazed racing: He might have won the race but I didn't smash my boat.....

The damage was surprisingly light! He did it after the race had finished tho, he said he was giving me room on the outside! Oh well. He didn't see that I got off the throttle to follow him round....

Nitrocrazed racing: Penalty Steve.... :p

Back