Twin Riggers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Thomas

Looking for clarification here.....I am trying to classify a hydro (rigger). Has two .12 or two .15 motors, actually as I am looking at the rule- two .21's will fall under the minimum size engine requirement. Does this allow the smaller displacement motors to run in their respective displacement of hydro not under the "twin blanket"? I guess two .12 engines would be just larger than a "B hydro" so it would fall in the c class?

IMPBA Specialized Nitro Classes page H-13 specifies "Multi-Engine Hydro

1. The hull will be a hydro as defined on page K-6 of the Rule Book. Under the title of Hydro Hull Definitions and Restrictions

2. The boat must have a minimum of 2 engines.

3. This will be a Nitro/Glow only class.

4. The boat must have each engine connected to a shaft/propeller or the boat may have a minimum 1 shaft/propeller so long as all engines are connected and driving the 1 shaft/propeller or the boat can have multiple shafts/propellers so long as all shafts/propellers are connected and driven by an engine or engines.

The
minimum displacement for two or more engines will be 0.610 cu. in.
or 10cc.
The maximum total displacement for two or more engines will be 1.830 cu. in. or 30cc.
"

Chris,

The rule was basically designed for the bigger block engines and added a class for them at the Internats. It has a minimum size engine as noted in the rules you quoted in #5. Refer to the rule book for the smaller engines sizes and they fall into the normal size category. IE - two twin .21 engines combine for .42 and fall into the D class. Two .45's fall into the F category but will be running against the big blocks, including up to .91 CMB's and 2 of them to boot.

Chris,
The rule was basically designed for the bigger block engines and added a class for them at the Internats. It has a minimum size engine as noted in the rules you quoted in #5. Refer to the rule book for the smaller engines sizes and they fall into the normal size category. IE - two twin .21 engines combine for .42 and fall into the D class. Two .45's fall into the F category but will be running against the big blocks, including up to .91 CMB's and 2 of them to boot.
And two of the Novarossi .28's fall into the E class! ;)

Glenn

Thanks Glenn. You need a "link" on your reply header....

Chris,

Glenn

Looking for clarification here.....I am trying to classify a hydro (rigger). Has two .12 or two .15 motors, actually as I am looking at the rule- two .21's will fall under the minimum size engine requirement. Does this allow the smaller displacement motors to run in their respective displacement of hydro not under the "twin blanket"? I guess two .12 engines would be just larger than a "B hydro" so it would fall in the c class?
IMPBA Specialized Nitro Classes page H-13 specifies "Multi-Engine Hydro

1. The hull will be a hydro as defined on page K-6 of the Rule Book. Under the title of Hydro Hull Definitions and Restrictions

2. The boat must have a minimum of 2 engines.

3. This will be a Nitro/Glow only class.

4. The boat must have each engine connected to a shaft/propeller or the boat may have a minimum 1 shaft/propeller so long as all engines are connected and driving the 1 shaft/propeller or the boat can have multiple shafts/propellers so long as all shafts/propellers are connected and driven by an engine or engines.

The
minimum displacement for two or more engines will be 0.610 cu. in.
or 10cc.
The maximum total displacement for two or more engines will be 1.830 cu. in. or 30cc.
"

Yes John is right. The class rules are for the US 1 status of the Internats. I would feel that anyone hosting a Multi-Engine class at a race would not have any problem allowing a boat like that to run. But you will be undersized to the rest of the boats. And you can also run in the other classes that the motors total up to. One other thing! The rules allow for just about anything that you want to do with Mutli- Engines. You could run four 15's with two geared together on one shaft. So you would have two shafts geared to two motor each. "Man" that was hard to explain but it would be cool!!!!!!!!! And the real motor displacment may add up to US 1 status.

Does anyone remember the Triple engine hydro that had three OPS 65's in it? There was a picture of it in one of the RC Modeler magazines back in the 90's. It may have been the Engine Tuning issue or RC Boat Basics. Anyways, that was pretty awesome, and is a legal boat. Ill try to find a pic of it and post.

Larry Jr.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone remember the Triple engine hydro that had three OPS 65's in it? There was a picture of it in one of the RC Modeler magazines back in the 90's. It may have been the Engine Tuning issue or RC Boat Basics. Anyways, that was pretty awesome, and is a legal boat. Ill try to find a pic of it and post.
Larry Jr.

It was in one of those Airage books on boating. I believe in the Advanced RC Model Boating one.

Larry Jr.
There is also a triple 45 crapshooter out there some where , I know because I make the tanks for it , I don't think it was ever run in a race don't know if it ever was run for fun.

Walt Barney

Chris,

Glenn
Yeah you're right...I'll see if I can figure out how to post a link.

Thanks,

Glenn

Yeh, there was someone down here in Florida ALOT of years ago that had a trip 65 powered rigger, don't know what make it was

And, there was a guy that had twin OPS 67's geared to one shaft

Yeh, there was someone down here in Florida ALOT of years ago that had a trip 65 powered rigger, don't know what make it wasAnd, there was a guy that had twin OPS 67's geared to one shaft
I think that it was Gus Johnson with the three engine 65 powered rigger. And if my brain is working right Doug McNeely came to Internats in Huntsville 1985 or 1986 with a rigger power by four 21's. On the geared twin the only name that comes to mind is John Bridge.

"I think that it was Gus Johnson with the three engine 65 powered rigger."

Hey Mark,

It wasn't Gus - - he never owned a Twin. He was never into self abuse.

The 3 engine rigger has Dick Balentine's name all over it - - Har, Har !!!

John's single shaft twin didn't enjoy meeting Roy Cogburn's twin OPS, twin shaft Thundergator at the '76 Internats much either. CHEERS !!! Bob Johnson

Glenn

Look at my signatutre below. I just added http:// in front of your web address and it came up as a link. Just edit it in your signature.

Mike

"I think that it was Gus Johnson with the three engine 65 powered rigger." Hey Mark,

It wasn't Gus - - he never owned a Twin. He was never into self abuse.

The 3 engine rigger has Dick Balentine's name all over it - - Har, Har !!!

John's single shaft twin didn't enjoy meeting Roy Cogburn's twin OPS, twin shaft Thundergator at the '76 Internats much either. CHEERS !!! Bob Johnson
Your right Bob it was not Gus that I am thinking of Sid Broughton. I think he brought it to the Huntsville Internats in 1985. But I had just gotten into boating at that time so name were hard to put with faces.

Hank Snyder down here in D3 has one thats been shevled in the garage for MANY years, a triple .65 I THINK, may have been .90's

Andy

Chris,

Glenn
Yeah you're right...I'll see if I can figure out how to post a link.

Thanks,

Glenn
Cut and paste are not hard but a click is easier.... Thanks Mike thats good to know.

Back