Twin outboards on a deep-vee?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Michael Gray

Well, what do you think? It will obviously have its querks, and will not be a racer by any means. I was thinking 48" challenger and the K&B 7.5 pro, cannot find semi pro anywhere.

Where does everyone buy the engines discounted? eBay has hardly any outboards and the LHS will want boo-kuh million dollars for one. If necessary, I might step it down to 3.5s and maybe use a smaller hull? The idea is to capture that offshore look with the hull and get people's fingers scratchin' when they see it! :)

Michael

Mike-

There was a guy at the '99 Internats that had 2 stock K&B 7.5's on his o/b tunnel to run in the F tunnel class. It could not out run the "piped" 13cc motors but man that had the most unique sound for a twin I've ever heard. It was cool, go for it! You're going to need a powerful servo so I'd use the HiTec 805, it should handle swingin' 2 of those 7.5's. Tying the two motors together & turning them with one big servo will be less headaches but the 805 requires a strong battery pack, 1800 mAh minimum I'd recommend but it will get the job done. I'd hold out for the bigger motors, they'll pop up on Ebay rest assured. Don't shy away from a regular 7.5 either, they run well also, especially with adding the Keeley turbo head button to them. The bigger motors will look cool on the back of a 48" Challenger. With a hull that big you can really go for the "real" look with a couple driver figures, etc. BTW- when you get ready for that Challenger let me know, I'm an Aeromarine dealer :D

Last edited by a moderator:
There was a guy in district 13 years ago that was running twin 7.5's on a deep vee about that size. For stock motors it ran pretty good and yes had cool sound to it. I remember the boat, it was kinda heavy but it would run very reliable and handle rough water too. Everbody was always trying to talk him into modding the engines because the boat could have easily handled more speed.

Mark

I am new to the outboard scene, so from what I understand K&B was not doing so well until recently, when they restructured? (or something like that) If I could, I would love to go with stock for two reason:

1. Usually cheaper and moderately upgradable; I don't need the super modified, extra tenth of second engine!

-and-

2. Easier to work with the majority of the time; most of the race engines (gas and nitro) have been finicky that I owned.

Is dferrette Don Ferrette? I seem to hear from Mike Tyson that you are the man, maybe I am not thinking correctly though. :) I believe that you are near too, I live in Virginia Beach.

I cannot get your email address from your profile because the administrator has not verified my account yet. Send me an email at [email protected] so we can talk prices. :D

Michael

Is dferrette Don Ferrette? I seem to hear from Mike Tyson that you are the man, maybe I am not thinking correctly though. I believe that you are near too, I live in Virginia Beach.

That would be me. As for "the man" well all I can say is ... awh shucks! :p

I cannot get your email address from your profile because the administrator has not verified my account yet. Send me an email at [email protected] so we can talk prices.

My e-mail is [email protected] I'm not far away, just up highway a bit in Mechanicsville.

Hey Michael!!

Post this same question on the outboard page. Someone asked about twin engine set up not long ago..........A member posted a picture and gave info about a guy that built a deep vee monster with 4 :eek: 7.5's on it!!! Good luck with that! ;)

Bob the Fool

Hey Michael!!

Post this same question on the outboard page. Someone asked about twin engine set up not long ago..........A member posted a picture and gave info about a guy that built a deep vee monster with 4 :eek: 7.5's on it!!! Good luck with that! ;)

Bob the Fool

Thanks Don, you've got mail!

Yes, I have seen that cat and tried to buy it from the guy who has it in Florida now, the original owner sold it for $1000! :huh: :angry: ...if only I was about a year early, it could have been mine! :)

[SIZE=14pt]Twin 7.5's sound sweet in harmony and will run great. You can actually use two 1/4 scale servos side by side. That's what I used w/great success. Double pipe the engines, get an FM radio and roaring speed ahead. Man now I feel like doing that again! HHUUUUMMMM.....Better not. LOL[/SIZE]

The last version of K&B 7.5's, the first w/the remote needles are perfect for twins. Those were great motors. I have a stock one on my B-OPC Maus and it hauls.

The good thing about the boat your gonna use is that you can build a really big radio box for big batteries and strong servos. Let us see it when you finish it!

I am thinking that, for the best peace of mind and tunability, I am going to need to buy two brand new engines. I do not have experience with outboards and am not a nitro veteran, so figuring out to new engines and making them run in harmony logically seems easier and less headache.

I am thinking about using a tie-bar draglink and then steering only one of them with the Hitec 805, monster 300oz torque!! :D

What is a double pipe?

I was thinking of stepping up the batteries, but I am wondering about voltage and amps burning such tiny gauge wire and not sure what the servos and receiver can handle. Any electric gurus out there?

Michael

YourFileName.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
:( It was a pic of the referenced 4 engined monster....I'll see if I can find the link.

Latest posts

Back