turning issue

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zack matson

Hey every one ! This is my first post on what seems to be a great source of information for the R/C boating sport. I have reciently got back into boating . I took a 5 year time away for a while and concentrated on a job and a home and so on and have now gotten to get back into it . I have moved from quiet electrics to noisy and fun gasoline boats. I bought a 48" proboat hypersport , first gen shockwave 55 basket case and a new zippkits gas rigger kit just showed in the mail today. Yum Yum !

Any way My reason for posting is this.......

My old shock wave 55 that I have put many hours into has a turning issue. The boat can be at any speeed greater than half throttle and a wide turn works well however when you try to cut the turn a little sharper for a tighter turn it seems that the rudder will grab hard and spin the boat out. The 48" hypersport has fantastic turning and is very smooth with its turns.

The 48 has an offset rudder where as the 55 has a center mounted rudder , neither boat has turn fins. Coud the prop be causeing to much turbulance causing the rudder to work improperly? Attached are some pics of the back end of my 55. Any ideas any one? does my explination make sence?

boat back.jpg

Hey every one ! This is my first post on what seems to be a great source of information for the R/C boating sport. I have reciently got back into boating . I took a 5 year time away for a while and concentrated on a job and a home and so on and have now gotten to get back into it . I have moved from quiet electrics to noisy and fun gasoline boats. I bought a 48" proboat hypersport , first gen shockwave 55 basket case and a new zippkits gas rigger kit just showed in the mail today. Yum Yum !

Any way My reason for posting is this.......

My old shock wave 55 that I have put many hours into has a turning issue. The boat can be at any speeed greater than half throttle and a wide turn works well however when you try to cut the turn a little sharper for a tighter turn it seems that the rudder will grab hard and spin the boat out. The 48" hypersport has fantastic turning and is very smooth with its turns.

The 48 has an offset rudder where as the 55 has a center mounted rudder , neither boat has turn fins. Coud the prop be causeing to much turbulance causing the rudder to work improperly? Attached are some pics of the back end of my 55. Any ideas any one? does my explination make sence?

View attachment 28903

This is mainly a Nitro forum and maybe not many people here may have run or know about your boat. Turning issues are turning issues regardless of power plant but you may be better suited posting on www.jrcbd.com It is mainly a Gas Boat Forum and people there may have experience with your particular boat. Not trying to run you off or anything. It is just a suggestion.

Robert

Zack, As I don't know your hull; the only suggestion I can give is to try it. I'd put the rudder to the right of the prop shaft(Viewed as if the boat is going away from you) and have the leading edge of the rudder blade equal to the front of the prop.

Phil

Sounds like the old Yellow early Shockwave 55's with subsurface drive. Is the stuffing tube out the bottom or the trasnsom. The subsurface models will do that almost no matter what you try. The surface drive models have much better turning capabilities. You cvan try about evefrything and while you can get it better it will still have bowsteering characteristics that are hard to alleviate. You might try going surface if it is subsurface as that alone will do more for the boat than anything. We converted one and it was night and day improvment and were able to get the boat drivable at all speeds.

FSR-O race in an oval course. Turn right only, so the rudder offset to the right. (The rudder immerse deeper into water in right turn, rise up in left turn.)

FSR-V race in M shape course. Turn left and right. Must use center rudder.

Turn fin prevent the boat from slidding. Try turn sharply and rapidly. If the boat slide, install turn fin.

Leo

When you are turning is the boat leaning over into the turn hard?

When it leans over hard the rudder is now on a 45% angle or so and will end up causing the rear of the boat to lift causing the boat to spin.

With not having turn fins acting as a piviot point the boat will always want to spin out in hard turns.

I would install some turn fins 90 degree from the bottom on each corner.Next check your trim tabs use a straight edge on the bottom see where there at start at level.Next use only 50% of your steer travel and slow it down.How much of rudder blade is below the prop?Also grab the rudder and try turning it see how strong your servo and linkage is.It should be strong and not flexing the linkage.Another thing see where the balance on the hull is at.Looks heavy on the transom.Normally the tank is in front of the motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back