Turn fin for SGX rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnrcboatracer

Supporting Member
I just picked up a couple of SGX hydros; one 67 and a twin 45. The boatls look great, but the fins seem a little flexible to me. The fins are curled by multiple straight bends and are easily flexed by hand. I'm short for time, and would prefer to just buy a couple fins to get these boats in the water. I assume Dick T still is not in the shop yet, and still in rehab.

I just picked up a couple of SGX hydros; one 67 and a twin 45. The boatls look great, but the fins seem a little flexible to me. The fins are curled by multiple straight bends and are easily flexed by hand. I'm short for time, and would prefer to just buy a couple fins to get these boats in the water. I assume Dick T still is not in the shop yet, and still in rehab.

We make fins for those boats!

Those boats don't need a big fin like others , they turn aggressively and require very little rudder throw . Run them the way they are , you will be surprised !

We make fins for those boats!
What are you doing answering threads at 2:00AM!!!!!! Are you running the night shift on the MAZAK???? :D

Hey Andy, I know you make them, I didn't know if the fins on them were yours or not. I sent a separate email to you through the CMDRacing web site.

Jon,

The SGX hulls do have smaller and minimal drag turn fins. The turn fin on my 45 SGX is much smaller than the one on my 45 Crapshooter.

Run the boat 1st and you'll see that it's on rails if the set up is close.

From time to time, it doesn't hurt to replace the fins with new ones because the material does fatigue after a while. But stay with Andys and you'll be a happy camper.

Jon I know exactly what you mean. I bought a used SG off of somebody and at first glance thought he had beaten a turn fin out of old sheet metal. Talked to Dickie Tyndall and he said, Run that sucker. He doesn't make a replacement for it. So I did and it Works Great!!!

OK, they seem awefully soft, and one has a rolled edge that I'll sharpen back up. But I'll run them as they are. I'm a bit surprised that the twin 45 has a 1/16" fin. I would have expeced a bit more. All the other hardware is CMDI, so I guess the fins are too. I'll talk to Andy or John today, I need to get a few cables anyhow.

BTW, these are my first big riggers, so I'll stop by Walmart on the way to the pond for a box of depends. I helped Mike Stevens with his twin 80 RR last weekend at Huntsville, and about crapped myself with his pull away from the launch. I guess I'll also have to mix up some more 55% fuel before my next trip to Huntsville.

About the props: the twin 45 has a pair on 1655's, and the 67 has an H38. Sound about right?

Another thing is to only sand the outside edge of the fin , don't make it very rounded , but a 45 deg. sanded edge . I'm sure A ndy aklready told you that !! :lol:

OK, they seem awefully soft, and one has a rolled edge that I'll sharpen back up. But I'll run them as they are. I'm a bit surprised that the twin 45 has a 1/16" fin. I would have expeced a bit more. All the other hardware is CMDI, so I guess the fins are too. I'll talk to Andy or John today, I need to get a few cables anyhow.
BTW, these are my first big riggers, so I'll stop by Walmart on the way to the pond for a box of depends. I helped Mike Stevens with his twin 80 RR last weekend at Huntsville, and about crapped myself with his pull away from the launch. I guess I'll also have to mix up some more 55% fuel before my next trip to Huntsville.

About the props: the twin 45 has a pair on 1655's, and the 67 has an H38. Sound about right?
Twin 45 use pair 1657's or best H-22 cut down ;) about 1.5 mm another 67 use an 1662 or great fast H-30( will be fastest) :) not bad H-38 but depend on what kind of pipe? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's my thinking Don. The H38 looks like it was done by them, too. I'll check my prop box for what others I have to try. Up until now, I've had mainly mono props. I do have some old 1860 and 2160. I may try the S30 I have on the 67 as well. It used to be on a Seaducer with an OPS90.

Alan, the pipe is a black muffled AB 67 pipe.

I run 1657's with 4.29" of cup on my twin 45 and the thing is scary fast. Talk to mark(Prop 4 U), I thought those would be a bit too much but boy he hit a homerun with them. You may want to get two packs of depends!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I run 1657's with 4.29" of cup on my twin 45 and the thing is scary fast. Talk to mark(Prop 4 U), I thought those would be a bit too much but boy he hit a homerun with them. You may want to get two packs of depends!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Depends are good it save a trip or two specially whem the boat is new to you Zyou might need two packs :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

and thats what I LOOKED like the first time i pitted for a hydro I thought my eyes were going to pop out of my head good luck have fun and watch out for the bouys

And this is from a pitt man

Gavin

Back