Turbo Allison Dummy Engine Specs

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich Jones

Supporting Member
Hey everyone:

What should the specs be as far as length, width, height in 1/8 scale? I looked up the size of a V-1710 and it says 86” in length. So if I divide that by 8, I get around 10” which would seem really large. How big would the valve covers be in 1/8 scale? Now granted the length would presumably include any gear box etc. Am I looking at this wrong? Anyone in the know here?

Thanks!

Rich

The Allison manual says the dimensions of standard engines are:
Length 85 5/8"
Width 29 9/32"
Height between 36" and 37" depending on model

Lohring Miller

Rich, the 85.5 length may not include the gearbox since it's bolted to the output shaft and end of the block. If you want accurate dimensions, you could call or email the Hydroplane and Raceboat Museum. I'm pretty sure it's closed to the public(that darned Covid) but they have had people allowed in to work on the 1979 Squire so some of the staff has had to be there. You can get the contact info from their website:
http://thunderboats.ning.com/One thing you need to remember is that IF your dummy Allison is going over a nitro or gas engine, an exact scale won't fit without being widened. I know Newton Marine has plans for several different dummy engines for just that reason

Latest posts

Back