Tuned Pipe Whoa's on my new Lynx

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaddySundown

Finally got the opportunity to run my new Lynx and I must say this is one fine tunnel. She never did porpoise, she never blew off the water, she never rolled over in a tight turn and she never submarined. This tunnel has a great attitude!!

I had to break in my new Nova Rossi. I ran about 6 tanks of fuel through her and started leaning her down. I noticed that when I got it almost out of the rich mode and she really started to set the water on fire, then she began to come on and off the pipe. When this happens you would normally lengthen the pipe a bit. I lengthen the pipe a quarter of an inch and had the same problem. I measured the distance from the header flange to the weld on the Irwin quiet pipe and it measured 8 3/4". This pipe did not run well on the CMB I ran last year so I am thinking that this pipe is not working for me.

What I noticed about this pipe compared to the stamped Iwin pipe is that the neck is the same size in diameter for about 2 1/2" where it makes the 180.

Anyone else ever have this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Allan,

I think you were running it too lean then. Try the pipe back where you had it,

and just richen it up again. I think quite a few boaters think that running lean

is faster. Have you played with engine temperature much? You might want to

reduce your cooling to the motor a little bit.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

Hey Daddy, Check your header spring too and make sure it holds header snuggly,

that one really can "make ya crazy" :)

shoboat said:
Allan,
I think you were running it too lean then. Try the pipe back where you had it,

and just richen it up again. I think quite a few boaters think that running lean

is faster. Have you played with engine temperature much? You might want to

reduce your cooling to the motor a little bit.

Have Fun Testing,

Mark Sholund

96816[/snapback]

Hi Mark,

I tested this boat for 3 hours trying different things on the ful mix and pipe length.

I am running the rescricted OS water pick up in the Lawless foot. But it could use a little more restriction. I don't know what temp the motor is running. This my be something I need to work on.

Who is selling the new carbon fiber pipe? I need another pipe to try anyways.

Alan.....

The Nova Rossi's and other Italian engines seem to like a small volume pipe ...

Try the stamped Irwin you have and see if there is not a difference ...

Hi Allan,

I have sold out my last S.P.P. Carbon 21 OB pipe,but Tunnelbill may have a few

left over. We are waiting for the newest S.P.P. "2005" OB pipe to come over from

Australia. I am not sure if Dave has shipped a few of the 2005 pipes over here or

not,they were suppose to be on the way last week I believe. I will let you know

when I get my order in from Dave. :)

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Precision Boats said:
Hi Alan,
Give me a call I can walk you thru it.

Tim

96882[/snapback]

I've got another pipe to test and thanks Tim for the heads up on the setup. ;)

I'll see how it goes if I get to test again before this week ends race.

Alan.....

DaddySundown said:
Precision Boats said:
Hi Alan,

Tim

96882[/snapback]

Alan.....

96948[/snapback]

HEY AL, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF WHAT WE DISSCUSED WORKS ?

james irwin said:
DaddySundown said:
Precision Boats said:
Hi Alan,

Tim

96882[/snapback]

Alan.....

96948[/snapback]

HEY AL, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF WHAT WE DISSCUSED WORKS ?

96951[/snapback]

Will do Jim, Glad to hear you coming to the carthage race. :)

HEY DADDY

I DO THINK THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM AS YOU . THE PROBLEM WAS DISSCUSED IN DETAIL TO THIS OL FART BY DADDY HIMSELF . HE HAS A NEW SET UP . ( AND A DARNED GOOD ONE I MAY SAY ) NOW HE IS RUNNING A LOT FASTER THAN HE HAS BEFORE . ALSO HE IS TURNING A LOT MORE RPM ? AND NOW ( BE CAUSE OF THE RPM BAND HE NOW IS IN HE IS EXPRENCING A TOP STARVING SITUATION . IN OTHER WORDS , HE IS GOING LEAN ON THE TOP END , THE BOAT HE HAS , HAS A SMALL COWEL IN THE TOP OF THE MAIN COWEL , HE IS GOING TO INSTALL A SAMALL SUMP ( HOPPER ) STYL TANK IN THERE AND SEE IF THAT WILL CURE HIS PROBLEM . I AM SHURE HE WILL LET US KNOW ASAP /. GOD BLESS <_<

Well I went to the Carthage race and flopped. Still not tuned, I did pick up the new sump tank from Mr. Cooper That Mr Iwin sent me. Back home the following week end I installed new new sump tank. What a nice tank, Fits in the upper cowl of the Lynx great. I headed for the pond for testing. Boy how frustrating. The boat ran the same. Running very rich it would stay running but soon as I started leaning it down she would die.

I gave the boys at Precision Boats another call and I talked to Josh this time. I thought had possibly got the measurement wrong on the tuned pipe and I did. I have never measured one this way before and is much simpler than taking it from the header flange around to the bulge in the pipe. Josh had me measure rom the left side of the PTO to the weld on the stamped pipe. I was 3/4" to short. So all I had to do was make my silicone coupler 3/4" longer.

Well I took it to the pond yesterday and she was way rich. I kept leaning my third channel till it would not go any more and she was still rich. I brought her in and screwed my needle (Bob Violet) in 1/4 turn and turned my third channel back where I started and refueled. Fired her up threw her in and she was still rich. I began leaning some more she got faster and faster. Now the engine was really starting to sound like she was really wanting to wind up. I kept leaning and YEAH HELL YEAH she was really cookin.

WOW what a great handling boat and what speed she had. There were no hints of the boat wanting to hook in the turns. The boat did however rare up when I straightened it up coming out of the turn, but would flatten out on excelleration. That was vary cool lookin but worried me. Next time around comin out of the turn a gust of wind headed into the turn. She didn't blow off but the whole boat lifted out of the water and she submarined. This boat is a real blast to run.

Thank you Tim and Josh for the help and thank you Carl for a great boat.

Next race is Oklahoma City this comming weekend. Can't wait! :D

Alan...........

Hey Daddy, Do you know what pipe length you ended up with, in terms that most of us could understand,,(example: 8'' or 8 1/8th") I want to put it in my reference file for future info,,glad it gave ya a "Thrill" :)

DaddySundown said:
Well I went to the Carthage race and flopped. Still not tuned, I did pick up the new sump tank from Mr. Cooper That Mr Iwin sent me. Back home the following week end I installed new new sump tank. What a nice tank, Fits in the upper cowl of the Lynx great. I headed for the pond for testing. Boy how frustrating. The boat ran the same. Running very rich it would stay running but soon as I started leaning it down she would die.
I gave the boys at Precision Boats another call and I talked to Josh this time. I thought had possibly got the measurement wrong on the tuned pipe and I did. I have never measured one this way before and is much simpler than taking it from the header flange around to the bulge in the pipe. Josh had me measure rom the left side of the PTO to the weld on the stamped pipe. I was 3/4" to short. So all I had to do was make my silicone coupler 3/4" longer.

Well I took it to the pond yesterday and she was way rich. I kept leaning my third channel till it would not go any more and she was still rich. I brought her in and screwed my needle (Bob Violet) in 1/4 turn and turned my third channel back where I started and refueled. Fired her up threw her in and she was still rich. I began leaning some more she got faster and faster. Now the engine was really starting to sound like she was really wanting to wind up. I kept leaning and YEAH HELL YEAH she was really cookin.

WOW what a great handling boat and what speed she had. There were no hints of the boat wanting to hook in the turns. The boat did however rare up when I straightened it up coming out of the turn, but would flatten out on excelleration. That was vary cool lookin but worried me. Next time around comin out of the turn a gust of wind headed into the turn. She didn't blow off but the whole boat lifted out of the water and she submarined. This boat is a real blast to run.

Thank you Tim and Josh for the help and thank you Carl for a great boat.

Next race is Oklahoma City this comming weekend. Can't wait!  :D

Alan...........

99746[/snapback]

Alan,

It sounds like you are close to your trim but still a bit loose. Check your C/G and see if you can add 1/4 ounce of trim weight (without going over the max C/G specs) to settle it down and if that doesn't take it all out, drop the engine straight down 1/32" and try it again.

Carl,

I have not taken the measurement in nornal terms Jerry but I will and I'll post it here.

I had run out of daylight when I finally got her dialed in. I will do more adjustments next time I can Carl.

Are you putting the weight in front of the radio box as the instructions say or is there some tips I can get on putting it further forward?

Alan...

DaddySundown said:
I have not taken the measurement in nornal terms Jerry but I will and I'll post it here.
I had run out of daylight when I finally got her dialed in. I will do more adjustments next time I can Carl.

Are you putting the weight in front of the radio box as the instructions say or is there some tips I can get on putting it further forward?

Alan...

99762[/snapback]

Alan,

Put the weight in it as it is in the instructions but don't go over the max C/G specs.

-Carl

Back