Tuned pipe setup

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve P

I had a thought and I am sure it is not a good one. How will it effect a tuned pipe to put an S bent in the header to off set the exhaust to one side or the other. I know we use headers that bend on outboards and motors that have the exhaust to the front of the boat so what would the s bend do?

I had a thought and I am sure it is not a good one. How will it effect a tuned pipe to put an S bent in the header to off set the exhaust to one side or the other. I know we use headers that bend on outboards and motors that have the exhaust to the front of the boat so what would the s bend do?
Just a guess, but the back wave from the pipe might not pack unspent fuel back into the cylinder right before TDC like with a

smooth curve or straight line header? Or at least, not be as effective.

Mark

That was my thought too but I was just courious if the experts on here knew for sure or if anyone had ever tried it.

The pressure waves will follow the curves, as long as they are smooth. But you need to consider the added C/L path length. Just look at the pipes the motor cycle, snow mobile, and PWC racers use. Jennings discusses this in his book.

Back