tuned pipe question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Roberts

Can anyone give me some input on which pipe would work for my .21 Go 7 port engine. It is for a 21 jae rigger I'm building. I have a pipe from Zipp Kits that was on their site, but I don't think it will work for my application. It seem way too long, there's no way I can get the 7.25 length with this pipe. So what pipe will work and where can I purchase one. Any input would be appreciated.

you can get a cooper s pipe from my father steve wood on this site.. it is a RPM pipe that works very well

there is also a pipe called OPS 3280 pipe.. that is also a very good pipe that is more torquey.

a guy i think sabation on here sells them

not sure where you got 7 1/4 length but that isn't a real good number in my book.. 7 3/4 - 7 7/8 works for me.

chris

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks Chris, I will check these pipes out, as far as the pipe length, I saw it on another forum, but I guess I can start at the longer length and always shorten it up if needed.

I can second Chris' recommendation above. I tend to like the S-Pipe over the 3280, but not everyone can get them to work. Like said above, the 3280 seems to have a much broader torque band, where the S-Pipe is much more of a top end pipe. The OPS 3280 is a proven pipe, that everyone can get to work. If you feel you can spend the time and energy on testing props/setup/pipe length then go for an S pipe, as I have gained with the S-Pipe over the OPS 3280, and no other changes. But, if you feel you dont have the time/energy/patience to do all that test work, get a 3280 and set it and forget it. Just my 2 pennies.

ron, go with the longer length to start. it's WAY easier to shorten the pipe/header combo than add length back ;) . the longer length will make it MUCH easier to get everything set up. once it's running well, start going shorter.

Thanks guys for all the information on the pipes. From what Rodney said about the 3280 pipe working well for everyone, I think that is the pipe I will go with. Thank you all once again.

Either of the pipes that Chris mentioned will work great on a JAE .21. I would go with the Cooper S pipe if it was me. Now if it was for a mono or a sport hydro I would tend to lean toward the 3280. Just my .02

Mark

Either of the pipes that Chris mentioned will work great on a JAE .21. I would go with the Cooper S pipe if it was me. Now if it was for a mono or a sport hydro I would tend to lean toward the 3280. Just my .02

Mark
:eek: :ph34r:

I dont know what the pipe from zippkits is but you can try that pipe and from there goto a s-pipe or 3280. I will guess just about any pipe will work to get started. once you have the boat running at a decent speed you can try different pipes..... the shorter you go with your pipe the tougher it will be to get the boat to be dependable. I run a 3280 at 8 inches.....I probably could go shorter and will probably work on that. One thing ya gotta remember is there are alot of different ideas on how to get where ya wanna be.... Chris is one of the Best people to get advice from.... try not to take all the info you read to heart.... you will run around in circles trying to follow everyone's advice.

Paul

7 1/4 might be a great pipe length for a saw boat or for a boat running a small prop

I dont know what the pipe from zippkits is but you can try that pipe and from there goto a s-pipe or 3280. I will guess just about any pipe will work to get started. once you have the boat running at a decent speed you can try different pipes..... the shorter you go with your pipe the tougher it will be to get the boat to be dependable. I run a 3280 at 8 inches.....I probably could go shorter and will probably work on that. One thing ya gotta remember is there are alot of different ideas on how to get where ya wanna be.... Chris is one of the Best people to get advice from.... try not to take all the info you read to heart.... you will run around in circles trying to follow everyone's advice.

Paul

7 1/4 might be a great pipe length for a saw boat or for a boat running a small prop
I bought this pipe about 2 months ago from zip-kits, and tried it on my Sport .20. It's an o.k. pipe, but it doesn't have much of a header-portion to cut off so you can make it shorter. I believe it's a Joe Petro pipe. It does have a nice lenght for the type of set-up of getting exhaust gasses out your mono or Sport 20 though. I abondoned it and went with the Mac.

I dont think it is possible to be that definitive. When I design a pipe it is to suit what I think the power characteristic should be and to suit a certain engine. The shape of the exhaust port and the timings of an engine affects what sort of pipe will work, as well as the length it is run at to suit the level of torque that the user needs. I designed the RS21 pipe to suit a CMB RS21, it also works pretty well on a 35+ Novarossi at the lengths I use. It may not be the best option for other engines, or running at longer lengths.

chris,

i thought you quit running boats? anyway, your engine wont like it as much as what you have. if you had 3 port ex it would be a different story but we all know you dont like them. glad to hear you still plan on running and building boats.

you never know martin

i would like to try one regardless.. never ran a carbon pipe.

maybe someday i will get a motor with a 3 port exhaust to work like the fast guys do.. just havn't had the best luck with them

I personally dont see the difference between a single port or 3 port exhaust. Especially when the newer stuff has an "eye brow" on each side of the exhaust anyhow, instead of the 2 satellite ports... They are probably not all that far apart as far as port area I wouldnt think... But then again, Im no engine guru either. So I could be completely off base.

Latest posts

Back