Tuned pipe for OS .21XM

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webdr

Hi guys, could you tell me who makes a bolt on header/tuned pipe for the OS .21 XM? I cant seem to find one.

thanks

matt

you could also check with mark hopper at htb boats. he has silver bullet pipes & headers.

Highly reccomend the Silver Bullet "HP" pipe and header from www.htbboats.com

You will have to raise the exhaust timing up to about 180 degrees to run this pipe (or any pipe really). You will be waisting your money if you dont. They run very well at 180, and with the HP pipe.

~James

Highly reccomend the Silver Bullet "HP" pipe and header from www.htbboats.com
You will have to raise the exhaust timing up to about 180 degrees to run this pipe (or any pipe really). You will be waisting your money if you dont. They run very well at 180, and with the HP pipe.

~James
Are there any trusted marine motor modders out there that could make this .21 race worthy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Any easy tricks on raising the timing on this engine? Do you have to use a degree wheel or can the sleeve be dropped deeper into the case?

Any comments on how to do this?

I run mine well over 180 degrees with a stamp Irwin pipe. I use a home made header of plumbers elbow silver soldered to a brass plate. You increase exhaust timing by shimming the sleeve up not down. The stock OS is around 165 on exhaust thats to much to shim. You will have to cut the sleeve using a 360 protracter. Measure from when the port opens to when it closes using e depth micrometer. Remember to cut the reading by 1/2 or you will end up with twice the amount you wanted. Greg

Ive measured tons of the OS's, and every one has been dead on 160 from the factory. As Greg said, the only way to add that much timing is to cut the sleeve. Its not hard, just have to be careful. I used to use a degree wheel, but now use measurements. 180 is a great number for the OS, you can run more, but it starts to get finicky for the average boater.

~James

Ive measured tons of the OS's, and every one has been dead on 160 from the factory. As Greg said, the only way to add that much timing is to cut the sleeve. Its not hard, just have to be careful. I used to use a degree wheel, but now use measurements. 180 is a great number for the OS, you can run more, but it starts to get finicky for the average boater.
~James
Is there a modding company that can do this for me? Or are there any photos out there that can show me where to cut to raise the timing?

Matt

Ok....I found a degree wheel on the web; it’s mounted on some card stock ready to mount to the crankshaft. I guess 0 degs is TDC? Now what? I can see the exhaust port and the wheel rotating with the crank. Where do I measure and where do I cut? My die grinder is getting hot in my hand....I want to cut something already.....really!

Any help would be great. I would like to measure twice, cut or grind once, LOL!

Ok....I found a degree wheel on the web; it’s mounted on some card stock ready to mount to the crankshaft. I guess 0 degs is TDC? Now what? I can see the exhaust port and the wheel rotating with the crank. Where do I measure and where do I cut? My die grinder is getting hot in my hand....I want to cut something already.....really!

Can anyone provide some help on what to do to this engine with the added tuned pipe or some guidance on where to co for some step by step directions?

Thanks, Blaise

Can anyone provide some help on what to do to this engine with the added tuned pipe or some guidance on where to co for some step by step directions?

Thanks, Blaise
http://rcboat.com/exhaust.htm

http://rcboat.com/past.htm

These should be very helpful Blaise .I use it often

Thanks Ed,

How do you use How do you measure the timing using the 360 degree wheel? I understand how to cut the sleeve and port shape, but how much do I cut to get 180 deg for an exhaust timing numbers. I can’t seem to find any explanation how to set up the wheel to measure.

Thanks Ed,
How do you use How do you measure the timing using the 360 degree wheel? I understand how to cut the sleeve and port shape, but how much do I cut to get 180 deg for an exhaust timing numbers. I can’t seem to find any explanation how to set up the wheel to measure.
It takes making a few more things before you start

You say you have a paper degree wheel pasted to some type of card board, plastic or thin ply? You have to be able to nut and washer the wheel on the crank so it doesn't slip easily.

You'll also have to fashion some sort of pointer fastened down as a reference point to the outer wheel.

It's also good to have a limit stop ,usually a long thin screw that also holds down the sleeve as well as stopping the piston at the top of the ports.

I can take some pictures of mine if you want,,

JW

Jerry,

That would be great! Where are the points that I want to measure to get to a desired timing....Top of pistion, top of port, ect?

http://hyperprod.bizhosting.com/degree_it.html

Blaise , This is the one I have . You can borrow it you want to . I'm not doing anything for awhile . I'll send it to you , when done send it back . I wish I could say I'll just bring it to the pond .

It even comes with directions

<a href="http://hyperprod.bizhosting.com/degree_it.html" target="_blank">http://hyperprod.bizhosting.com/degree_it.html</a>
Blaise , This is the one I have . You can borrow it you want to . I'm not doing anything for awhile . I'll send it to you , when done send it back . I wish I could say I'll just bring it to the pond .

It even comes with directions
Thats great of ya Ed,, I'm charging my camera bat right now,, I have the same one as Ed's only I made something different for the piston stop function.

JW

Back