tune tips in the cold

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dale

ponds unfrozen finally ,i have a htb 360 .67 with a erwin quiet pipe i just added on , i no its still cold outside and the water temp is about 35 degress it always ran great my question is ,it idals goodruns great out of the water but when i put it in its ok untill i start giving it full trigger then i dies instantly ,the spray par is fine and going the right way,is it just to cold or dose the pipe need adjusting,its has the stock header that comes with the pipe,with about a 1/2 '' gape between the pipe and header with the rubber conector any tips would be great ;D

Hello Dale

When running my piped outboards in very cold weather, I have found I had to change to a hotter plug and really richen up the needle. I change from a K&B HP to a K&B 1L and depending on temperature I have to open up the needle 1/4 to 1/2 of a turn. Cold air has a higher oxygen content than warm air so more fuel can be burned therefore we must open up the needle to prevent going lean. My last few runs of the year are always around -2 to -3 celcius and this works for me. I have a blast running when it is really cold as my boats always have their fastest runs of the year in this weather. Try a hotter plug and richen her up and watch her go.

Martin

Thanks Martin ;D I'll give it a try ,and let you no. when it's summer is it the other way a little leaner with a pipe and warmer temps : :) or just start rich and work it in till she flyes. :- Ill be at my pond monday can't wait, my son races indor 12th scale cars so i have to play pit man all day sunday.

Your engine should run very rich out of the water. When you put a continuous load on the engine, (by the prop pushing water) the engine will lean out. So start out rich, and if you are breaking it in, run it rich for about a tank or two.

You will know it's rich because it won't rev out completely. If it's lean, it will rev to the moon.

Be careful, running lean means less oil, and more air, which gives you less lubrication and higher operating temps, which in turn could cause catastrophic engine failure.

Running it rich will never blow it up,

Good luck,

Jeff

I just can tell you it is a nightmare to tune a piped K&B in that condition.

This winter I used plugs form #4 to 8, dialed it in from 5 to 1 turns and nothing helped. I guess the pipe did cool the engine to much and died the engine. However it was very very cold those weekends -6 Celsius and the water was 0 degrees Celsius with ice in it.

Back