Trim tabs

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean Bowf

My understanding of trim tabs, is that they push that side of the boat up. As an example, when I run down the straights, the prop/engine try to make my boat lie on its right side. So the right trim tab should be adjusted down a little to hold that side up. Is this correct??

Thanks,

Sean

I found what I was looking for in the artical Zuber mentioned earlier in another thread.

Sean

I don't know what hull you have but a Seaducer or Speedmaster will lean if the boat is to tight to the water. Make sure your prop is nice and sharp.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what hull you have but a Seaducer or Speedmaster will lean if the boat is to tight to the water. Make sure your prop is nice and sharp.
It is a .45 speedmaster, and is still in the early stages of getting it tuned in (engine and hardware). I don't get to the water often enough to make all the changes I would like to (I don't want to make 12 changes at once).

Here is a link to the 2nd time I ran it (first time was at the races in Wichita)...I had faster runs than what is in the video, but the boat was camera shy (every time I pulled the camera out, it didnt run right).

http://media.putfile.com/Speedmaster-45-mono-second-time-out

Its got a long way to go...but it has come a long way too...heh.

Pretty sure the prop is sharp...I will go back and take another look at it. It is a 450 three blade prop. I didnt notice the lean (at least not as much) with a 450 2 blade.

Sean

It is a .45 speedmaster, and is still in the early stages of getting it tuned in (engine and hardware). I don't get to the water often enough to make all the changes I would like to (I don't want to make 12 changes at once).

Here is a link to the 2nd time I ran it (first time was at the races in Wichita)...I had faster runs than what is in the video, but the boat was camera shy (every time I pulled the camera out, it didnt run right).

http://media.putfile.com/Speedmaster-45-mono-second-time-out

Its got a long way to go...but it has come a long way too...heh.

Pretty sure the prop is sharp...I will go back and take another look at it. It is a 450 three blade prop. I didnt notice the lean (at least not as much) with a 450 2 blade.

Sean
Looking at the video I would say that your rudder is to short or your steering servo is giving up or your prop has too much lift. It seems that when the nose comes down the back wants to come around on you. Are you running turn fins? Make absolutely sure the strut is flat with the bottom of the boat. I am not a prop guy so maybe somebody could suggest a different prop to try. Also try to get as much steering out of the boat as possible. Most people have WAY too much throw and this will cause what you are seeing.

My understanding of trim tabs, is that they push that side of the boat up. As an example, when I run down the straights, the prop/engine try to make my boat lie on its right side. So the right trim tab should be adjusted down a little to hold that side up. Is this correct??
Thanks,

Sean

that is a possible option,

what you allso can do is (if possible) move some weight in the boat more to the left to keep it strait.

or (it is some extra weight) put some weight in the left side..(at my boat was 120gram enough to keep it strait)

trim tabs will work to keep the hull strait. but they allso work as a brake in the water couse of the extra drag.

Sean,

Did you get your Speedmaster 45 tuned better? If so, what did you do to fix it?

What size and number of trim tabs do you have?

Are you running a turn fin?

Thanks!

Sean,
Did you get your Speedmaster 45 tuned better? If so, what did you do to fix it?

What size and number of trim tabs do you have?

Are you running a turn fin?

Thanks!
Been off the net for awhile...and might be awhile before I get back on again...but sorry for the late response. I changed the rudder servo and that fixed a lot of the pulling problem I was having. I have not got a lot of run time on it since the swap, but it performs a lot better now. Still having some tuning problems with the engine, and have a ways to go with the setup. When it hits the pipe now, the back end wants to power past the front end. Not much of the boat in the water when this happens. Caused me to spin out in front of a friend one, and I got run over. Just got some NICE paint done on it this winter, and don't want this to happen again...so need some more time on the water to get it tuned in better.

Sean

Back