toro lawnmower cross threaded spark plug

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob miller

got careless and cross threaded the sparkplug threads ...it is a GTS TORO and has been a great lawnmower ....the head is aluminum....can it be saved ?....thanks....bob

Yes. Unless you are willing to do the work yourself, take it to a shop...it needs a helicoil (save a thread) inserted

-Kent

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it can . Simply bring it to a small engine repair shop , motorcycle shop or outboard motor shop for a Helicoil installation . Very simple repair and should not require engine disassembly .

Probably just needs a thread chaser ran in and out of the plug hole. There is one made just for this purpose. This will straighten out the damaged threads without removing any aluminum. Then put a small amount of nickle based anti-seize on the new plug threads.

Good as new.

Charles

Probably just needs a thread chaser ran in and out of the plug hole. There is one made just for this purpose. This will straighten out the damaged threads without removing any aluminum. Then put a small amount of nickle based anti-seize on the new plug threads.

Good as new.

Charles
where can i get a thread chaser ?....thanks....bob

Make sure you use some grease on the chase if you go that route to try and catch any shavings.

Andy

You can make a chaser out of a old spark plug.

bevel the end slightly and cut a grove down the lenght of the threads with a file.

screw it in slowly with transmission fluid on it and be careful.

also does not hurt to put grease on a rag and stuff it into the hole to catch the shavings.

Most of the time only the first 3 thread's are messed up.

You can make a chaser out of a old spark plug.

bevel the end slightly and cut a grove down the lenght of the threads with a file.

screw it in slowly with transmission fluid on it and be careful.

also does not hurt to put grease on a rag and stuff it into the hole to catch the shavings.

Most of the time only the first 3 thread's are messed up.
what adam said, bob B) . i've got a couple of different sized plugs done as he says, except i cut the groove lengthwise with a die grinder. but without a way to clean up the rough edge left by a grinder, i would suggest you use the file method. works as well as my store bought plug chaser. i grease the chaser, to catch the chips as they are cut.......

if all else fails you can get a helicoil insert kit Thats fixes it better than new. It allows you to put steel threaded insert into the head with hard threads.

thr TORO GTS IS FIXED....i bought a thread chaser from NAPA ....i want to thank everyone who offered to help...and a big thanks to INTERNATIONAL WATERS....bob

Back