Top's 5 port update

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-ZAM

I ran the new 5 port Top's engine last weekend. Was running it in my 21 Humming Bird hydro on 60% nitro, AB 1450, S-pipe and Orlic's new carb.

After serveral tanks of fuel for break-in, I let it eat. Every pass was between 75-78mph. The engine had excellent launch and throttle control. I removed the engine from the boat and put in one of my other 21 Novi-rossi so see what the speed difference would be. That engine ran 77-81mph.

The bottom line is, I thank its a hell of a good engine for $215.00.

Kentley Porter

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Kentley...it is good to hear feedback from folks like you!

I have seen the same kind of results from the one I have been running in a Sprint Cat. Easy on the launch, good throttle response and really good RPM.

Glenn

This is very similar to the sort of results I saw on Sunday just gone in Oz. Temperature was around 32 degrees C. I have copied what I wrote on the AMPBA site below, and the lap time references are for an Aussie race course which is 250m per lap;

"I had a chance to play with one of these engines yesterday in a friend's rigger. What a great little motor! I put a H7 with 3.60" cup on expecting it to struggle to launch or not get on pipe, but it pulled it without any issue at all.

Just 'cos it's a cheaper engine, doesn't mean it doesn't perform. 10 x low 13 second laps in a row on 50% nitro, and that was not driving on the bouys!

Tim."

Guys,

I think it just shows that STOCK MOTORS are pretty competitive right out

of the box these days. A good S-pipe and a well set up boat are always

helpful too.

Thanks For Sharing,

Mark Sholund

Thanks for the report guy's. I just orderd one from Glenn last week to put in a Whiplash sport 20. Sounds like I am going to like this little engine.

Guys,
I think it just shows that STOCK MOTORS are pretty competitive right out

of the box these days. A good S-pipe and a well set up boat are always

helpful too.

Thanks For Sharing,

Mark Sholund
Many years ago we took a Mod motor out of a hydro that was running 68-70 mph. Install a New Nova LS w stk carb.. Now this was install into a Proven 21 Hydro Boat with a Good prop & Base line pipe length. But After break in on the same day the Stk L/S Engine was within 3 mph of the mod engine.

The motor I am running is 100% stock with one head shim removed to get the clearance to .008". I have no idea what the timings numbers are (yet...I just got one of Marty's EAP's so I will know soon! GREAT Program!!!), but it runs great just like it is. I am running the stock carb with the HSN and 3rd channel being used, but the LSN and 1/2 of the spray bar removed.

I don't know what, if anything, has been done to Kentley's motor. 77 MPH in a heat racing boat is FAST reguardless of what has been done.

Glenn

was the motor STOCK or modded by frank?
chris

Chris,

Both engines had equivalent mods.

I was testing to see what the difference was between the 2 engines on the water.

I think when the Top engine is well seasoned they should run the pretty much the same.

Maybe the weather will be nice this weekend at record trials so I can really let her sing. :D

Kentley

Granted, Kentley is one of the best when it comes to extracting the most out of a 20 hydro, but the mere fact that he has taken a $200 motor and with the same mods as a much more expensive one gotten basically the same performance speaks volumes. We need more affordable top performing nitro motors just like this example that KP has put on the table and I think that is really the point he was trying to make. :)

sounds good kentley.. thanks for the heads up..

don,

I here ya.. my point was i just wanted to know if it had been worked on.. people see this and think it will go 75mph out of the box... maybe it will, but i just wanted to find out..

regardless it is good to know there is another option.

glenn,

anything on that piston and sleeve we talked about?

thanks

chris

I ran the new 5 port Top's engine last weekend. Was running it in my 21 Humming Bird hydro on 60% nitro, AB 1450, S-pipe and Orlic's new carb.
After serveral tanks of fuel for break-in, I let it eat. Every pass was between 75-78mph. The engine had excellent launch and throttle control. I removed the engine from the boat and put in one of my other 21 Novi-rossi so see what the speed difference would be. That engine ran 77-81mph.

The bottom line is, I thank its a hell of a good engine for $215.00.

Kentley Porter
Great statement and info.

Ron Jr

Granted, Kentley is one of the best when it comes to extracting the most out of a 20 hydro, but the mere fact that he has taken a $200 motor and with the same mods as a much more expensive one gotten basically the same performance speaks volumes. We need more affordable top performing nitro motors just like this example that KP has put on the table and I think that is really the point he was trying to make. :)
God how I COMPLETLY AGREE with that statement!! It is so cool to now possibly be able to buy a BRAND NEW COMPETITIVE motor for a price that alot of people are selling used motors for that you cant even get parts for anymore!!

Thanks Kentley...it is good to hear feedback from folks like you!
I have seen the same kind of results from the one I have been running in a Sprint Cat. Easy on the launch, good throttle response and really good RPM.

Glenn
Glenn, I think my minds made up.....CMON CHRISTMAS!
Bill, just give me the word and I will have Santa stop by and pick one up for you!

Glenn

I have been out of the hobby for quite a while. Anyone have a link to find more info on this engine and where to purchase it?

Thanks.

sounds good kentley.. thanks for the heads up..
don,

I here ya.. my point was i just wanted to know if it had been worked on.. people see this and think it will go 75mph out of the box... maybe it will, but i just wanted to find out..

regardless it is good to know there is another option.

glenn,

anything on that piston and sleeve we talked about?

thanks

chris
Chris, yeah it is supposed to be in this coming order...but I thought that last time too. I will let you know ASAP. The order is supposed to be complete on Friday so I will be able to see if it is on the invoice.

Glenn

Back