TOP SPEED 3 project

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTV Boats

I have been testing the TS-3 which I feel is a bargain. Great design and a perfect boat for P spec and beyond. Weak point is lite weight construction. I found out hitting a solid object (Bouy) at a race. My bad and ripped the transom completely out.

So I bought another one and this time rather than just sticking in a box from another boat I decided to incorporate the box into the structure of the boat. Pictures are better than explanations plus you get to see what your cutting into. I first epoxied the sides then the ends with the rear of the box attached to and reinforcing the transom. After scuffing the floor I epoxied it all together with 4oz cloth. This is just my idea of building an FE outboard.

Mic

TS3 014.JPGTS3 013.JPGTS3 015.JPGTS3 020.JPGTS3 018.JPGTS3 022.JPGTS3 024.JPGTS3 028.JPG

I will post more as I finish the project. Questions of comments welcome.

Mic

Continuing you need to exit the 3 motor wires and water lines in and out. I have been trying a lot of different ESC's and also want the ability to replace one easily so I have found short 3/4 inch brass tube stubs make installation easy. I use heat shrink wrap to waterproof and it can be cut off easily to make changes. For steering Sullivan Golden Rod can be sealed with short pieces of small fuel tube and some grease. Your call on what you like for fasteners.

TS3 P2 002.JPG

TS3 P2 005.JPG

TS3 P2 006.JPG

TS3 P2 008.JPG

TS3 P2 007.JPG

Nice build Mic,

Interesting cav plate. What results have you found by going to such a small surface area?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting this, Mic.

I've just cut the tank mount away on mine ready to do the rest of the work in the next 2 weeks and hopefully have it ready to race soon after. This and the other threads are a big help. Mine will be Aussie spec which is basically UL1 motor, any ESC and a 5000 mAh pack.

Getting the prop right in a hurry will be a test for me!

Cheers

Nice Job Mic. I recommend a layer of glass cloth or CF across the exterior of the transom extenting to the sponsons. Even with a transom reinforced from the inside, the seam on the TS3 has been known to crack across the transom if you wack something hard. A turtle in my case. It's a great little tunnel. Wish is was built a little stronger but when on sale at Tower, it's the best bang for the buck in tunnel boats.

Nice build Mic,

Interesting cav plate. What results have you found by going to such a small surface area?
In my opinion the cav plate is not functional on a model outboard as it was designed on full size to run sub surface and keep air away from props which is not an issue with our surfacing prop setups. A case can be made that a wide whale tale plate will deflect the force of the rooster tale and hold the nose down. I figure that adds weight and drag and there are better crutches to keep from blowing over. I have cut down plates for years figuring if they do touch water it will be while turning and raise the back to trip the boat. They are good for water pick ups and pipe mounts. On the OS a small piece of flat aluminum works well and can be bent a little to allow larger diameter props.

Mic

Cool build. What motor is that. I have been testing mine with a dr. mad thrust 3674. Sadly a defective t180 esc that keeps going into lvc mode has seriously hindered my testing.

Bingo give that man a cigar. Wondered how long it would take for someone to notice. I threw a 1521 Nue on there for a photo op. Not the motor a TS3 needs. Your 3674 or a 1515 would be as much as the boat should run and then be prepared for communication with air traffic control. The AQ 2030 makes a perfect power source and no one will be disappointed with performance. Mic

I noticed the big Neu but I didn't think anything of it because I know you do record trials. ;)

Ken, run a seperate receiver battery and remove the red wire end from the ESC plug and fold it back and secure it the the ESC lead.

then you won't have to worry about the ESC going into LVC.

Not all the T180's have that problem but some do.

Nice Build ! I did one a couple of months ago Love It ! no one down here runs the OPC boats so shes just a toy

Tunnel.JPG

Ken, run a seperate receiver battery and remove the red wire end from the ESC plug and fold it back and secure it the the ESC lead.

then you won't have to worry about the ESC going into LVC.

Not all the T180's have that problem but some do.
That was using a separate bec. And Even if I shut the lvc off it still did it. I swapped it out for another t180 and was in a bit of a hurry so I just used the internal bec. That one was defective too and nearly cost me a ton of money when the boat took off and I had no control. I thought it was the receiver at first but at home I tried it with an external bec and the receiver worked fine. Needless to say im not a fan of the t180,s now. I own 2 and both are defective. I have a new 180 esc that I will be testing this weekend.Its the same price as the t180 from hk but rated for 180a @ 7s.

Latest posts

Back