TOP SPEED 2

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRoth265

Hey Dunny had the new Top Speed 2 at the show he say's the boat is being laid up in China ( I think) and the glass work looked pretty good. I believe he said its going to be released in May. Greg :huh:

Jerry was driving the boat the other weekend..It's very nice.. Very fast too.

Charley

Got any pix? It has to be an improvement over the first one, that plastic was too flexible and the radio box needed some serious work done. The sponson design was good though as it had the look of many great performing tunnels like the Leecraft and Aerotech.

This one will be a good quality, fiberglass tunnel.. Jerry was running an SX and threw every prop in the world at the boat and it just kept on running. It turned equally well left and right.

If the price is right, it will definitely be a great boat.

Charley

I was reading through the latest issue of RCBM again last night at work (yeah, I've got a tough job! :D ) and was reading the interview of JD in there. Reading between the lines there was a hint of this boat (maybe?) coming out, an entry-level class outboard tunnel that would be competitive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ron Olson said:
I was reading through the latest issue of RCBM again last night at work (yeah, I've got a tough job!  :D ) and was reading the interview of JD in there. Reading between the lines there was a hint of this boat (maybe?) coming out, an entry-level class outboard tunnel that would be competitive.
84620[/snapback]

That's the one.. It is a very nice boat.. That's why I said it depends on what the price is as there is nothing entry level about the boat. If priced right, it will be great boat for beginners to experieneced boaters ..

Man, I sound like an ad for Great Planes.. Wonder if I can get a commission...

Charley

The Top Speed II is basically my WOF 30 with a Rinker style canopy cowl. The radio box will be from wood, laser cut and assembled, it will take two standard servos for throttle/steering side by side and there's room for a mini servo for third channel mixture control. It will be available in the colors: white, red, yellow. It is a gel coat/polester hull. Pretty light actually. RTR with an OS Max was something like 4lbs, 10 oz with 1 oz. of lead for balance.

I am sticking decals on a white boat right now. As soon as I finish I will post a photo.

The TS II will come with a graphics package(better appearing than the graphics on the plastic version), and a hardware kit and 8 oz. fuel tank. The exact price point has not be established. But, the cost will be very competitive.

I'm really excited about this hull and it has been difficult keeping it under wraps for the past 6 months. As Charlie has said, it does run well. I now have a Tim Fulton OS RG on one and a CMB 21 on another. My son, Paul, and I will be going down to the Grand Prix Classic in Fremont, CA this weekend to race the boats in 3.5 Tunnel.

JD

Hey, it worked. The boat also has a couple of interesting features:

1. There are two 1/8" deep vents built into the sponson. I've posted photos of these vents before. I did contact both IMPBA & NAMBA to insure they would be legal.

2. The front of the cowling chin has a recessed slot for placement of strip lead.

3. There is a built up fuel tank platform.

4. There is a drain plug in the back on the right sponson. Don't ask me how water gets into a closed fiberglass boat.

JD

JD,

i hope the transom is better in this one than the one in the plastic boat.i had the first top speed i liked it very much.hopefully the got some of the bugs worked out of it.it was my first 3.5 tunnel.my transon in mine clopsed.

allen

Last edited:
First,

Congradulations Jerry and fantastic job getting this done. You have been a true insperation to all our tunnel racing puplic and we hope for many more years of the same.

Second, We need as boat racers to promote the tar out of this thing.. We have the power of the bigger company behind us and we should make use of it.

And thIRd, we need to Talk about that big Red sticker On the side of the boat. Not my cup of Inspiration, Can Somebody talk to him….. hehehehehe

Your old Bud Grim

The 'glas hull and wood radio box alone are BIG improvements over the first TS. I had bought one from a LHS as I needed a replacement boat for one that was damaged in a race. I didn't do any changes to it other than replacing that unscale-like looking windshield decal with one that I made from a piece of TrimKote. I later sold it to a racer buddy for his sons first boat.

re: the transom

Wood is glued to the inside of the transom. 6-32 brass inserts are then installed in the transom. The inserts will not be installed at the factory because different types of motor mounts have different bolt patterns.

re: big red sticker on deck

What can I say?? They have been verry, very good to me now for over 15 years.

JD

Hi Jerry, I saw you run something that looked like that at "Springfield" last year.

My question: Will one of them "cowls" fit your WOF 30? and could I get one before

this season starts? :huh:

Hi Jerry,

The cowling will fit a WOF 30. With a little trimming, it would fit any of the boats I've designed. At this time, the emphasis is making the hull aviailable by May. Not sure about cowlings only. I will check.

JD

Jerry Dunlap said:
re:  the transom
Wood is glued to the inside of the transom.   6-32 brass inserts are then installed in the transom.   The inserts will not be installed at the factory because different types of motor mounts have different bolt patterns.

re:  big red sticker on deck

What can I say??  They have been verry, very good to me now for over 15 years.

JD

84760[/snapback]

I know I know.. i just have to give you guff is all..

Again Fantastic news about this boat.. I knew you were bitting you toung at the Chi show.. ;) I knew NOTHING.. I saw NOTHING... Love Hogans Heros..

Keep the hobby strong jerry.. you are the gate master..

ROCK ON

Mike

Jerry Dunlap said:
Hi Jerry,
The cowling will fit a WOF 30.  With a little trimming, it would fit any of the boats I've designed.  At this time, the emphasis is making the hull aviailable by May.   Not sure about cowlings only.  I will check.

JD

84765[/snapback]

Thanks Jerry, That Boat Look's Just Like A Tunnel "Should" LooK. Thanks

For "All" Your Efforts :D (Not to Denigrate anybody else and They're Tunnels) :ph34r:

Back