Top Speed 2 - Bouncing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h20ski

I have a Top Speed 2 that I'm still trying to dial in. The boat bounces in the straights at WOT and less so in the turns. I've read a number of posts concerning this boat and the set ups seem to be all over the map - from no weight all the way up to 5 oz. Lots of discussion about props as well. Prather 215 works for some but not for others. Many have recommended the Octura 440.

I'd be interested in hearing what folks have come up with for optimal set ups.

Here is my set up so far and right not its not working

Stock 8907 - no spacer between transom and motor

Octura 440

2.5 oz in the nose

Motor is neutral

Prop shaft at 3/16"

Thanks

Stock 8907 - no spacer between transom and motor

Octura 440

2.5 oz in the nose

Motor is neutral

Prop shaft at 3/16"

Thanks

The only difference for me is a M440 and 3 oz. in nose.

Works good .

Ed.R

Yes,

when its bounsing the nose alot that is a sign of not enough weight in the front,

in my bros dumas boat we had to use 3 oz to get it to plane right,

you can fine tune the plane by adj. the motor mount by tilting it slightly down or up,

any other questions feel free to ask,

Nate

The thing with boats is that you can have ten of the "same" type, lets say top speed 2's for instance, and none of them may have the same set-up to run properly. EVERY boat is different. Every persons driving style/idea of a well set-up boat is different. I know this isnt what exactly you want to hear, but it is what it is. The above mentioned set-ups will get you close to where you need to be (although it sounds as though you are already there), the rest of the fine tuning will come from hours (read: LOTS OF HOURS) of practice/expirementation, and even more patience. Im not trying to be negative, just realistic. Thanks ~James

The thing with boats is that you can have ten of the "same" type, lets say top speed 2's for instance, and none of them may have the same set-up to run properly.
It also depends on which version of the Top Speed 2 that you have. The good one or the messed up bottom version. Check and make sure the bottom is free of hooks and dips ect. I've seen a couple where the bottom is curved where it shouldn't be and the sponsons don't match. If your boat is like this there is no hope of getting the boat setup right no matter what you do until you fix that. If your boat is good then I would check with Jerry Dunlap. He's helped quite a few people get their Top Speed up and running good.

~Mitch

The thing with boats is that you can have ten of the "same" type, lets say top speed 2's for instance, and none of them may have the same set-up to run properly.
It also depends on which version of the Top Speed 2 that you have. The good one or the messed up bottom version. Check and make sure the bottom is free of hooks and dips ect. I've seen a couple where the bottom is curved where it shouldn't be and the sponsons don't match. If your boat is like this there is no hope of getting the boat setup right no matter what you do until you fix that. If your boat is good then I would check with Jerry Dunlap. He's helped quite a few people get their Top Speed up and running good.

~Mitch
I'm headed out tomorrow night with a 215 and a little more weight up front. I'll report back on the progress. Thanks for the comments.

~Mitch
I'm headed out tomorrow night with a 215 and a little more weight up front. I'll report back on the progress. Thanks for the comments.
I was having exactly the same problem as you last Saturday. First time the boat was in the water it bounced like a you know what. I changed props, added weight and nothing seemed to help. I tried lowering the prop and that took care of the hopping. Now I'll back track a bit and see if I can get back to the S230 prop next weekend.

Make sure that your prop is not too high. And I put 1-1/2 degrees of negative angle in. That definately helped too.

Greg

Sorry I meant 215 prop.

Fellas,

A little negative seems to be the key set up, with a 1440 B/C @ 3.21 it will easily top out

over 45 MPH.

Have Fun,

Mark Sholund

Back