tip of the day:KLASS KOTE

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
has anyone actually brushed on the finish coat? Just curious how it would flow out with the brush marks, etc?

I have brushed out the clear inside the hulls with a good quality brush it works nice!!Basically no brush marks, but the outside of the hull is much larger.. i prefer spraying... have not been daring enough to try... If anyone else has let us know!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I mix 1-1-1 for spraying thru a siphon feed gun, but used straight for brushing. actually mixed to a cross between a run and a drip off stir stick for spraying..or 18-22 seconds thru a viscosity cup...

Klasskoat.com

2 pints of colors,1qt. Part b, 1qt. Reducer

Ordered 9:30 Monday morning, delivered to SE Wi. by 4:00p.m. Tuesday, very prompet service for standard shipping.

I have a ? if i mix 4 oz of primer or color with 4 oz of cat do i thin with 4 oz or 8 oz for a 1 to 1 to 1.and i plan to hang my sp 20 of the stuffing tube so i can spray it all at once is this ok to do ?Thanx Robert

1 to 1 to 1 so 4 ounces of thinner. You can spray it all at once. Just don't go too heavy on the coats or you can get some sagging along the edges. I waited about 15-20 minutes between coats.

4oz. Reducer max. after the A&B induct/react for 30 to 40 minutes (with occasional stirring)

Brushed KLASS KOTE on tub and sponsons of a JAE .21 last night... added reducer... flashed too fast to brush... nice and shiny but brush strokes present... if brushing on dont add reducer.. gives it time to flow out for a smoother finish....

Brushed KLASS KOTE on tub and sponsons of a JAE .21 last night... added reducer... flashed too fast to brush... nice and shiny but brush strokes present... if brushing on dont add reducer.. gives it time to flow out for a smoother finish....
so just mix 1 to 1 if brushing on??

no reducer in brushing. a spray gun needs reducing. You can save a pot by putting it in the fridge.Or if you made a big pot, and want to save the leftover. 1 day is OK 2-3 days you may need add as small amount of reducer.

so just mix 1 to 1 if brushing on??
yup... just 1-1 no reducer for brushing... too bad I learned this the hard way... On a build for Joe Petro...oops!!!

Watch the temp!! At 85 degrees I shot 3oz. of color and 3oz. of hardener, infused for 40 min's, added 1 oz. of thinner for a HF HVLP gun with a 1.4 tip and the tack coat went on perfectly. Waited 20 min's for flash off and started 2nd coat, too thick added 1 more oz. of thinner and it went on OK not great.

Third coat was mud even with another oz. of thinner. Could not even burn it down with thinner.

The direction are for 70 degrees!!

Next time at that temp. I think I will cut the infusion down to maybe 20 min's and flash to 10 min's.

What do think???

high temp and humidity have caused many problems painting.. In the auto body field, there are high and low temp thinners and reducers, Klass kote has no options for this. to shorten flash times would probably do the trick. More thinner seeing as it is laquer thinner will probably speed the dry time. I didn't see a retarder for klass kote either which with auto paint slows the dry time. shorter induction time might be ok as long as it is well mixed. try at night when temps are cooler but watch out for bugs.Basements are generally cooler but humidity will be higher,a de-humidifier may help that.good luck and keep us posted on results next time!!

I usually start at 1-1-1 and dont slow down till done..test tack on masking paper and let it fly.flash times are dependant on temp.. only need to wait till paint is tacky... sometimes only minutes. what air pressure do you have at the tip of gun?? lighter coats with slightly higher pressure and less volume might help also.

Back