Tin Tank for a Mono

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olly

Supporting Member
Hi

I am thinking of making a steel tank for a mono. If I put a v in the bottom of the tank where would you put the hopper tank? In the center or off to the left of the main tank?

Looking for some ideas on this as I am trying to get away from the two plastic tanks.

Olly

Hi
I am thinking of making a steel tank for a mono. If I put a v in the bottom of the tank where would you put the hopper tank? In the center or off to the left of the main tank?

Looking for some ideas on this as I am trying to get away from the two plastic tanks.

Olly
I run metal tanks in my mono's, and I just run the flat bottom metal tanks. I can't see a reason why you would have to run a v in the bottom of the tank.

Cliff

walt built me an 18 oz for my 45 seducer. it has the hopper inside. i'ts flat bottom.sets on a plywood tray. works perfect.

Hey Mate:

Thought about doing that for the little "bathtub boat" too but couldn't figure a way to keep the pickups covered with fuel no matter where you put 'em... :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Guys

I guess I will stick with plastic for now.

Joe - back in the day when I made my own tanks I used thinners paint cans from the body shop :rolleyes:

Olly

Rookie question. When you're building a tank (out of paint thinner cans?), do you use a silver solder or ???

>T

Who sells good tin to make a tank?
K&S makes 4x10 inch sheets of tin if you are making a tank not larger than 4 inches wide.

You can use regular resin solder to build tanks. Use a solder gun with enough watts to do the job.

The guys that make tanks have the know how and the supplies to do a nicer job.

Olly,

I ran tin tanks for years in most all of my monos. I was probably one of the first to have Steve Ball make one from Stainless. I did it because I did not want to tear the whole boat apart just to service and clean the fuel tank area. Once I had the stainless tank they stayed in the boat until the rubber bands went away. There was also a time when you had to double up the plastic to get the capacity.... that always bothered me too.

I even won a US-1 with a Ball s/s tank in a mono.

Go for it, place a baffle in the center of it if you fear a starvation problem, or have him build the interior hopper tank a bit larger than normal.

R

Im yet to see what the advantage would be ......

Olly,I ran tin tanks for years in most all of my monos. I was probably one of the first to have Steve Ball make one from Stainless. I did it because I did not want to tear the whole boat apart just to service and clean the fuel tank area. Once I had the stainless tank they stayed in the boat until the rubber bands went away. There was also a time when you had to double up the plastic to get the capacity.... that always bothered me too.

Go for it, place a baffle in the center of it if you fear a starvation problem, or have him build the interior hopper tank a bit larger than normal.

R

Olly,

As you know Steve Ball no longer makes tanks. I Do make tanks for the monos, out of Stainless or Tin Plated Steel. One Metal tank of equal size oz's is lighter than two plastic tanks an you have a header inside that keep a steady needle thru out the run.

Walt Barney

Tanks 2 U

Olly,I ran tin tanks for years in most all of my monos. I was probably one of the first to have Steve Ball make one from Stainless. I did it because I did not want to tear the whole boat apart just to service and clean the fuel tank area. Once I had the stainless tank they stayed in the boat until the rubber bands went away. There was also a time when you had to double up the plastic to get the capacity.... that always bothered me too.

R

Olly,

As you know Steve Ball no longer makes tanks. I Do make tanks for the monos, out of Stainless or Tin Plated Steel. One Metal tank of equal size oz's is lighter than two plastic tanks an you have a header inside that keep a steady needle thru out the run.

Walt Barney

Tanks 2 U

Tanks WALT - :p

I will have to wait till I Crash the heck out of my mono again- those tanks arent gonna come out easy any time soon- :eek:

You still gona make the One Day WCRA race ??

Andy

R

Olly,

Walt Barney

Tanks 2 U

I will have to wait till I Crash the heck out of my mono again- those tanks arent gonna come out easy any time soon- :eek:

Andy
Cuts have'nt healed from putting them in. :p :p :p

R

Olly,

Walt Barney

Tanks 2 U

Andy
You a funny man.

Nah I meant in the Seaducer. A few races back I stuffed the snot out of it and broke the tank tray loose with a 2 rounds left to run. With no way to clean and epoxy it back in time, I high tailed it to Home Depot and got spray in foam. A careful squirt here and there and that tank tray is a "lifer" :rolleyes: I just hope they never leak, cause there gonna be a b-tch to get out.

And yes , My hands still have cuts from putting the rubber bands in the TwinCraft :angry:

Andy

R

Olly,

Walt Barney

Tanks 2 U

Andy
You a funny man.

Nah I meant in the Seaducer. A few races back I stuffed the snot out of it and broke the tank tray loose with a 2 rounds left to run. With no way to clean and epoxy it back in time, I high tailed it to Home Depot and got spray in foam. A careful squirt here and there and that tank tray is a "lifer" :rolleyes: I just hope they never leak, cause there gonna be a b-tch to get out.

And yes , My hands still have cuts from putting the rubber bands in the TwinCraft :angry:

Andy
Andy,

I am going to try to mak the one day next week end.

Walt Barney

Awesome, look forward to seeing you again, if you pit across from me again- beware the banana peel - LOL :p

Andy

You a funny man.

Andy
I just use a small bead of ShoeGoo to mount my tanks in my Speedmasters. If I ever need to remove one I just cut through the glue with a fillet knife.

Latest posts

Back