Thinning Epoxy

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read on a forum that you can use denatured alocohol to thin epoxy. Is this for epoxy paint or epoxy glue? If for glue will it work for 15, 30 minute epoxy or 24 hour epoxy glue? I want to seal the wood on the outside of my rigger. I have been trying to decide whether to use epoxy or polyester resin. Which would be the best?

Harold

i have used denatured alcohol to thin epoxy for sealing the wood on my riggers for a number of years. it will work on 15,30,45 min. ect., types well.

another type of epoxy that you can use is West Systems brand. Great stuff.

Carl

harold,

you don't need to thin epoxy to seal a rigger.. just put it on and let it set up for 10 min or so then wipe it off with a paper towl or rag.

if you really want to get picky when it set's up overnight you can then take a razor blade and scrape off the excess carefully and you are good to go to clear your boat.

use west systems or mas epoxy's or system 3

chris

I read on a forum that you can use denatured alocohol to thin epoxy. Is this for epoxy paint or epoxy glue? If for glue will it work for 15, 30 minute epoxy or 24 hour epoxy glue? I want to seal the wood on the outside of my rigger. I have been trying to decide whether to use epoxy or polyester resin. Which would be the best?
West systems is thin enough-just squegee it on with a bondo spreader(or the wife's credit card). Thinning epoxy will reduce the strength from what I've heard. Sand with 220 grit between coats. 3 thin coats should give a nice finish.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're using the resin as a sealer or a way to secure glass cloth then strength isn't a real issue.

What I like about thinning resin is that it will soak in to the wood pores (impregnate) and actually make the wood stronger and do a better overall job of sealing.

I normally will put on three water thin coats of resin. It sure makes a hard solid surface, and also supports all the structural joints.

My 18 lb. bud boat hit an earth dam at full speed and proceded up and over out of sight last year in Madison.

Scratched the paint some and lost the prop, otherwise the wood hull didn't have a crack in it.

gh

If you're using the resin as a sealer or a way to secure glass cloth then strength isn't a real issue. What I like about thinning resin is that it will soak in to the wood pores (impregnate) and actually make the wood stronger and do a better overall job of sealing.

I normally will put on three water thin coats of resin. It sure makes a hard solid surface, and also supports all the structural joints.

My 18 lb. bud boat hit an earth dam at full speed and proceded up and over out of sight last year in Madison.

Scratched the paint some and lost the prop, otherwise the wood hull didn't have a crack in it.

gh
Greg,

What would you reccomend thinning West System epoxy with and at what rate? I have used the West epoxy and can see how it might work better thinned, and would like to try it.

Thanks.

Interlux makes a reducer (thinner) for 2 part polyurethanes or epoxies

Solvent 2316N reducing solvent

works fine with West Systems epoxy

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're using the resin as a sealer or a way to secure glass cloth then strength isn't a real issue. What I like about thinning resin is that it will soak in to the wood pores (impregnate) and actually make the wood stronger and do a better overall job of sealing.

gh
yeah and i seen it hit a bouy at mendota last year and it was fully intact .. man that is a heck of a boat there greg.. very nice build.

terry

gh
yeah and i seen it hit a bouy at mendota last year and it was fully intact .. man that is a heck of a boat there greg.. very nice build.

terry
I just put the first coat of West on thinned 50% with denatured alky and it soaked right in. Waited 30 minutes and wiped off with a paper towel. 2 more coats and the last coat thinned at 30% and im going to be good to go.....Thanks Greg !!!

Back