The state of B Mod Tunnel.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffmaturo

I signed up for the double points race in Dist 3 tonight. I was a little surprised to see only two B mod tunnels signed up. Where are the tunnel guys hiding? I do realize the K&B lowers are fairly tough to find but there are other choices out there. K&B told me a year ago they would be releasing the 7.5 lower soon. Is the availability of lowers the main reason less guys are running this class?

Back in the day, 40 class was strong. Most people were running knb's. They ran really strong until they blew up. You could buy 2 of them for the cost of a powerhead these days. I think it's a money thing for most. If your going to spend that much money why not move on to a different class. Tunnels are dying fast around here. Why have a fleet of boats when there is no place to run and race them.

Id love to run my tunnel, but a 3 day race is out of the question for me- hell its hard enough to scrape the extra money up right now to consider one 2 day race a year myself.

If - lol - we got some one day races or fun runs for the Tunnel guys that are taking a break right now, I'd be willing to bet the numbers would return in 2017 Jeff.
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Cant make it they wont give me thwe time off and Ron and Mary had plans already for that weekend Bill Hoch is building a B Mod

Jeff,

Being an obvious tunnel head myself, I am trying to help push these tunnel numbers and the other rc boat numbers up as well. I am going to create pages on my website to list the NAMBA and IMPBA info as well as a complete listing of the local clubs for both organizations. I urge all other rc boat distributors and resellers to do the same. 25-50% of my volume seem to be sport boaters that have no organization affiliations. Getting these new/sport boaters to the pond and pushing for the existing boaters to come as well will always pose a challenge. Lowers are everywhere now. 707 Specialties is having 7.5 K&B lower units made again, and he already has some available. John Otto will have them and I will start carrying them to help get them out there. Lawless is still there as well as the OS 3.5 lowers. There are lots of other interests these days that are direct competition to our hobby. If we all keep plugging and doing our part the numbers will increase. Look forward to seeing you at the next race. You coming to Charleston in Nov? There will be a lot of entries there.....
default_smile.png

Everyone had good points. Shawn are you building 40's anymore? I have two 40 visions and they are AMAZING! Ron great idea about posting IMPBA and NAMBA info along with local clubs. Getting that 25-50% racing would have a gigantic impact on our numbers! Andy are you going to be able to make the race at the end of this month, it has been changed into a two day race. Robert things happen, but get that boat ready!

I haven't sold a 40 boat in a very long time, there doesn't seem to be much interest. As far as I know I'm the only person who still makes boats and I have been slow for about 5 months. But it does seem to pick up at the end of the year.

sure would like to see a picture of the new 7.5 lower unit ....thanks.....bob ps the 45 tunnel has always been my favorite

Most of the time I just run my B Sport in Mod.. its an easy way to get two classes in. I suspect however that some don't like that or would rather have a mod boat incase one gets wacked. I get it.

Mod power is not cheap. The boats available (just call and buy one) to control that power are far and few between.

The last CMB 21 OB I raced was close to a 600 dollar bill fully setup (let me think.. that was 2004 as well). Sport motor.. 400.. a good sport tunnel.. 48mph.. a good mod tunnel.. 54 mph (lower for most).. 200 bucks for 6mph (proly not much more MPH).. tough one.

I do however like to tune a mod tunnel. Lots of challenges and all good. Im not sure in this day and age I am typical however. Most just want the darn thing fast and winning. Maybe its always been that way. Or when the going gets tough they get out.. I don't know.

I suspect however that the largest factor is products available. Limited choices.. never a good thing.

Grim

B mod is a NAMBA class Jeff is referring to. Maybe it should have been stated as 40 Mod. 21's are alive and well for the time being. 40 Tunnel equipment is still out there but not as easy to get as 21 stuff. The complete OS 21 unit is keeping 21's alive where .45's are still piece-mealed together. We have a few loyal tunneheads still running here in Florida but getting them out on the same day seems to be like pulling teeth. Not sure if new lowers will bring it all back. A complete 45 would be nice. Maybe Ron can offer the Nova with a new K&B lower in a package.

Mic

B mod is a NAMBA class Jeff is referring to. Maybe it should have been stated as 40 Mod. 21's are alive and well for the time being. 40 Tunnel equipment is still out there but not as easy to get as 21 stuff. The complete OS 21 unit is keeping 21's alive where .45's are still piece-mealed together. We have a few loyal tunneheads still running here in Florida but getting them out on the same day seems to be like pulling teeth. Not sure if new lowers will bring it all back. A complete 45 would be nice. Maybe Ron can offer the Nova with a new K&B lower in a package.

Mic
I like the idea of the Nova packaged with the K&B lower.

Most of the time I just run my B Sport in Mod.. its an easy way to get two classes in. I suspect however that some don't like that or would rather have a mod boat incase one gets wacked. I get it.

Mod power is not cheap. The boats available (just call and buy one) to control that power are far and few between.

The last CMB 21 OB I raced was close to a 600 dollar bill fully setup (let me think.. that was 2004 as well). Sport motor.. 400.. a good sport tunnel.. 48mph.. a good mod tunnel.. 54 mph (lower for most).. 200 bucks for 6mph (proly not much more MPH).. tough one.

I do however like to tune a mod tunnel. Lots of challenges and all good. Im not sure in this day and age I am typical however. Most just want the darn thing fast and winning. Maybe its always been that way. Or when the going gets tough they get out.. I don't know.

I suspect however that the largest factor is products available. Limited choices.. never a good thing.

Grim
As a former rc car guy, I was surprised to learn just how many products in RC boat racing are unobtainium.................the manufacturer (usually one guy doing it on the side) is no longer into rc boats, is losing money so no longer is making them or sadly has passed away. I am worried when Shawn from Vision decides to stop, the class is really in trouble.

I've got some tunnels and would love to race them but a 3 day event is just to much financially for me..Accommodations and travel expenses can be a lot for a me as a single income breadwinner. I could swing a 1 day event occasionally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back